The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Official Staffordshire University Applicants Thread 2020

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I will be starting staffs uni this September to do primary education with Qts. I would love to talk with people on the course or be added to a staffs uni group chat if possible. Also it would be good if I could find out about any potential reading lists etc. I can't wait to get started 😊
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by Joanne.B.123
Hi, I will be starting staffs uni this September to do primary education with Qts. I would love to talk with people on the course or be added to a staffs uni group chat if possible. Also it would be good if I could find out about any potential reading lists etc. I can't wait to get started 😊

Hi @Joanne.B.123,
Glad to hear you'll be joining us in September!
So, firstly, you should be getting an email in the near future inviting you to the official Facebook Group for students joining us next year. In the group students have group chats for subjects :smile: - this should be with you soon.

I've contacted the course leader too, to see if they can send any information over about potential reading lists. I will get back to you when they send the information over :smile:

I hope this helps and look forward to you joining us in September!
Please let me know if we can help you with any other questions.
Thanks
HB
Any Mallus/Malayalees starting staffs this year??? esp biomed..
Original post by RionaDavid
Any Mallus/Malayalees starting staffs this year??? esp biomed..

Hi @RionaDavid
I hope you're able to connect with some biomed students here. If not, as my colleague mentioned, you will be receiving an invitation to our Facebook Group for new students, which is a great place to meet students on your course or people you may be sharing accommodation with.
Best wishes, ^Shaun
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hello!

This thread is for anyone who's thinking of applying to and starting Staffordshire University in 2020.

Whether you have a question about one of our courses, accommodation or just a general uni query, or you'd like to start chatting to other applicants, just add your comment below :smile:

Hi,

I am looking to attend this year. I have heard talks about everything being online due to COVID.
Is this the case?
If so, what happens to the housing deposit on the accommodation.
Many Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am looking to attend this year. I have heard talks about everything being online due to COVID.
Is this the case?
If so, what happens to the housing deposit on the accommodation.
Many Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch. I will get clarification for you on this as soon as possible.
Best wishes, Shaun
Hello I have a conditional offer for 2020 and I am studying a btec, is there any update on what the plan is in regards to grading us and getting our results to you?

Thanks.
Hello I have a conditional offer for 2020 and I am studying a btec, is there any update on what the plan is in regards to grading us and getting our results to you?

Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for getting in touch. It would be best to contact the college you are studying your BTEC with to get information on what their arrangements will be for grading you. If you are studying your BTEC with us, it would be best to get guidance from your tutor. We will provide all applicants preparing to begin their studies with Staffordshire University in September 2020 with further guidance at the earliest possible opportunity. Kind regards, Shaun
Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch. I will get clarification for you on this as soon as possible.
Best wishes, Shaun

Hi,
I have some information from the University for you regarding accommodation deposits. Hope this helps.
Best wishes, Shaun

"In line with government advice, our campus is currently closed and teaching has moved online for current students. However, support services for students still living in university-managed accommodation remain operational. We are continuing to monitor the situation and we will provide all applicants preparing to begin their studies with Staffordshire University in September 2020 with further guidance at the earliest possible opportunity. We naturally hope to have the campus back open to welcome students in September.

Our ResLife team has provided the following info with regards to accommodation deposits, for students who proceed with accommodation applications.

Please note that the following information is taken from our 2019/20 guidance. The 2020/21 Licence Agreement is not yet available, so we cannot confirm the exact dates, but they are likely to be similar to those issued last year.

“For students who have been in our accommodation this year (2019/2020), the £250 pre-payment will not be returned to them because this fee has gone towards the accommodation payment that has already been made. For next year (2020/2021), as we are still offering accommodation as normal, we will be following the normal Licence Agreement regarding the pre-payment.

"You may terminate [your accommodation] agreement before you take up occupation of the accommodation by providing written notice to the ResLife Team and confirming your request to terminate the contract. If your written request to terminate this agreement is received by 31 August 2019 and before you take occupation of the room, we will begin the process of returning the pre-payment of rent to you in full within 28 days of receiving your written request.

"If you are a current or new student and wish to cancel your accommodation place, you must terminate this agreement by 31 August 2019. Otherwise, you will not be entitled to a refund of your pre-payment of rent and may be liable for further sums due under the Agreement in accordance with clause 7e)."

As I mentioned, we are not yet in a position to provide the exact dates for the 2020/21 academic year, but I hope this helps to clarify our policy in the meantime. Please rest assured that we will update applicants with relevant information at the earliest possible opportunity."
Hi, I've accepted an unconditional offer at the uni to study esports. However, an opportunity has come up to take some time abroad next year - potentially - to improve my esports skills in Asia. What sort of distance learning opportunities are available in my case, if any?
Hi, I've accepted an unconditional offer at the uni to study esports. However, an opportunity has come up to take some time abroad next year - potentially - to improve my esports skills in Asia. What sort of distance learning opportunities are available in my case, if any?

Hi @Anonymous #4,
Just to let you know, i've contacted the Esports Course Leader with your question and I'll get back to you as soon as they reply :smile:
Also, our enquiries team are always available to help to: [email protected]

Hope this helps!
^HB
Hi @Anonymous #4,
Just to let you know, i've contacted the Esports Course Leader with your question and I'll get back to you as soon as they reply :smile:
Also, our enquiries team are always available to help to: [email protected]

Hope this helps!
^HB

Hi again,

I'm just following this up on behalf of my colleague. The Esports Course Leader has responded to your question:

"Currently the course is face-to-face only, although we accept that we may be required to make some changes to our delivery in September due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. However we do not envisage pure distance learning, as so many elements of the course require learning how to use specific kit and programmes in the esports hub. If you plan to go abroad there is the opportunity to defer your place for 2021 entry as an option, but unfortunately no distance learning option is currently available."

Hope this clarifies thing for you.
Best wishes, Shaun
Hi again,

I'm just following this up on behalf of my colleague. The Esports Course Leader has responded to your question:

"Currently the course is face-to-face only, although we accept that we may be required to make some changes to our delivery in September due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. However we do not envisage pure distance learning, as so many elements of the course require learning how to use specific kit and programmes in the esports hub. If you plan to go abroad there is the opportunity to defer your place for 2021 entry as an option, but unfortunately no distance learning option is currently available."

Hope this clarifies thing for you.
Best wishes, Shaun

How do you defer? I've already tried to look into it as a plan B in case such a response was given, but clicking on the question in the website FAQ simply refreshes the same page and does not provide an answer.
How do you defer? I've already tried to look into it as a plan B in case such a response was given, but clicking on the question in the website FAQ simply refreshes the same page and does not provide an answer.

HI,
If you are looking to defer, the best thing would be to contact [email protected] who will be able to talk you through options and put you in touch with the right people to guide you through the process. Can send me a URL of the page of the website you have had difficulty with? Best wishes, Shaun
HI,
If you are looking to defer, the best thing would be to contact [email protected] who will be able to talk you through options and put you in touch with the right people to guide you through the process. Can send me a URL of the page of the website you have had difficulty with? Best wishes, Shaun

What's the latest date I can defer?
What's the latest date I can defer?

Hi,
I'm sorry, I don't work in the Admissions team so don't know the answer to that question. If you contact [email protected] - they will be able to give you all the information you need. Best wishes, Shaun
Hi, sorry to ask again, but are you able to chase up getting that reading list from the primary education with QTS course? Thanks very much.
Original post by Joanne.B.123
Hi, sorry to ask again, but are you able to chase up getting that reading list from the primary education with QTS course? Thanks very much.

Hi @Joanne.B.123

Sorry for the delay on this - it's been a bit of a weird time with our teaching and events moving to online so our email might have got missed.

We'll chase this up for you and post the reply on here.

Thanks for your patience

Amy
Original post by RhysieRey
Hey, I'm studying Concept Art this September!! I'm all confirmed as I'm an older student but I'm excited to meet people studying the same thing/games art courses!!

hey im going to be studying concept art this september im also a bit older. i live in cheshire currently studying at home for this year would be awesome if you want to chat
Hi @Joanne.B.123

Sorry for the delay on this - it's been a bit of a weird time with our teaching and events moving to online so our email might have got missed.

We'll chase this up for you and post the reply on here.

Thanks for your patience

Amy

Hi @Joanne.B.123

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the slow reply.

I've now had the following reply from the course leader:

"Dear @Joanne.B.123

Lovely to hear from you.
Regarding preparation for joining us in Sept. I would recommend the following…

Read:
Learning to Teach in the Primary School (Learning to Teach in the Primary School Series) Burnett and Cremin (2018)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-Teach-Primary-School/dp/1138211060/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cremin+and+burnett&qid=1586270604&sr=8-1

Also, look at developing your curriculum subject knowledge in the areas you discussed during your interview. You can look online for various resources and GCP books are excellent at reinforcing the basics.
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/

Look at the National Curriculum in order to become more familiar with the various concepts you will be teaching.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-primary-curriculum

Look online to develop your professional understanding of the role of a primary teacher.
Teachers’ Standards
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/665522/Teachers_standard_information.pdf

Read:
The Teachers' Standards in Primary Schools: Understanding and Evidencing Effective Carroll and Alexander (2016)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teachers-Standards-Primary-Schools/dp/1473906962/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=primary+teaching+QTS&qid=1586272382&s=books&sr=1-7

TES
https://www.tes.com/

Also look at the following organisations
https://chartered.college/membership
https://nape.org.uk/
https://www.ase.org.uk/
https://www.data.org.uk/for-education/primary/
https://www.atm.org.uk/
https://ukla.org/
https://www.geography.org.uk/

I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing you in Sept.
Take care.
Best,
Mike"

Please let me know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending