The Student Room Group

Business A level - Ask me questions!

I achieved an A* in business last year. I am happy to answer any questions which you may have on topics in addition to structure and timing (which I know is tight). I did Edexcel so will be focusing mainly on this although most topics do collide. Please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try my best to help out!
Original post by MathEcon
I achieved an A* in business last year. I am happy to answer any questions which you may have on topics in addition to structure and timing (which I know is tight). I did Edexcel so will be focusing mainly on this although most topics do collide. Please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try my best to help out!

How does a 12 mark question differ from a 20 mark question? What do I exclude from the 12 mark/ add to the 20 mark? (Edexcel IAL business)
Reply 2
Original post by Troubledfork
How does a 12 mark question differ from a 20 mark question? What do I exclude from the 12 mark/ add to the 20 mark? (Edexcel IAL business)

For both 12 and 20 markers, I would suggest you do 2 points. The only thing that I changed was the depth of analysis. For 12 markers, I would probably do 2/3 chains for each point and counter balance whereas for 20 markers I would aim to make at least 4. The chains of reasoning need to be clear such as “this leads to”, “as a result”, “as a consequence”, “therefore” etc. I say this because examiners tend to read through the answer and skip parts (looking for what the markscheme wants such as “logical chains of reasoning”). The most important distinction I would say is the conclusion (only if you are aiming for the top grade). I cannot stress how important this is. For both the 12 and 20 markers they are needed but for the 12 marker you just need to make a “substantiated judgment” meaning you say which point is likely to be more effective with one line explaining why. For the 20 marker you want to not only give that judgement but the chains of reasoning need to be very clear. I would say minimum of 2 for the conclusion showing both view points by directly answering the question. The judgment starts of with “I would recommend that...”.

This is for Edecxcel business which I believe has the same structure as the IAL but I would double check how the marks are allocated for your exam.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MathEcon

What was the best way you revised for business or the best way to revise for it. (I do AQA and i am in year 13).
Reply 4
Original post by Unique AC
What was the best way you revised for business or the best way to revise for it. (I do AQA and i am in year 13).

I personally created notes very early on by about Nov/Dec (even before covering topics in class) then essentially it was revision in class when everyone else was being taught. The content itself is mostly not too difficult but what is difficult is exam technique with the timing especially. This is why I recommend you do literally every past paper in addition to finding questions and just doing them in timed conditions as you will have all the knowledge taught by the exam but you might not be able to apply it. If you want to get ahead of the class, which I would definitely suggest as it makes class revision, then look at the spec and go through it topic by topic, through using videos such as ‘TakintheBiz’ on YouTube as well as other resources such as asking me or others on here on what certain things are. The biggest tip I can give to getting an A/A* is have a generic answer ready. If you think about it, businesses (most) have one goal and that is to make a profit. Therefore you could always have an additional analysis point added to the end of nearly any answer such as:

“This in turn will lead to an increase in market share, allowing the business to increase its bargaining power, thus reducing unit costs as well as having the ability to charge higher, more premium prices which increases profit margins and so leads to increase dividends to shareholders”

I literally made this one on the spot. If you make like 4/5 then even if in the exam you are unsure what to write about then you could always get some marks from these generic responses.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Have you considered a career as a teacher?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending