The Student Room Group

''There's more to life than grades and degrees'' well, like what?

Next thing you know, you all go around mocking those who fail or did not go to uni.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Next thing you know, you all go around mocking those who fail or did not go to uni.

If you're very academically-motivated, then I can see why you'd think that. However, I know many people who actively chose not to go to university (nor did A levels in some cases), and live incredibly fulfilled lives imho.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you're very academically-motivated, then I can see why you'd think that. However, I know many people who actively chose not to go to university (nor did A levels in some cases), and live incredibly fulfilled lives imho.

I think I might have given you the wrong opinion of me. I worked hard to raise my grades this year, but something came up and it just crashed me so completely that I wasn't able to study well. But all everyone is going to see are my grades.
I have researched some people who succeeded in life without a degree or A levels, but they just seem to be lucky cases and related to business and media. It's very rare to see that in the sciences.
I think I might have given you the wrong opinion of me. I worked hard to raise my grades this year, but something came up and it just crashed me so completely that I wasn't able to study well. But all everyone is going to see are my grades.
I have researched some people who succeeded in life without a degree or A levels, but they just seem to be lucky cases and related to business and media. It's very rare to see that in the sciences.

Did you put in a mitigating circumstances claim? What year of university are you in? It's hard to give appropriate advice when you aren't being very specific.
Reply 4
Me:

1st class BSc degree in physics
MSc in nuclear engineering from a russel group uni
Skills in radiation modelling, reactor design and decommissioning, safety case law, criticality, monte carlo simulations, matlab etc
As and Bs at A-level.
Lots of A*s etc. at GCSE
Currently unemployed or underemployed. Lots of competition for top jobs.

Morons who left school after GCSEs:

Their own homes
Children of their own
Stable careers as builders, dental nurses, fabrication technicians etc.
Reply 5
Original post by cat811
Me:

Skills in radiation modelling, reactor design and decommissioning, safety case law, criticality, monte carlo simulations, matlab etc
As and Bs at A-level.
Lots of A*s etc. at GCSE

Their own homes
Children of their own

You were fine until you did the MSc that screams "I only want to work in nuclear engineering." Drop it from your CV, make up some bull**** story about going traveling and get a job in Risk Management in the City.

I agree with you on the point about people leaving after GCSE though. I'm pretty sure outside the City of London, plumbers earn more on average than lawyers!

Whilst grades and degrees can help to open doors for you, you cannot rely on academics alone. This is something I have learnt in life - you need to put in the hard work, hone and perform your practical skills well. You can have achieved A* grades at A-Level but if you can't work within a team, be able to have the confidence to talk people and lack the skills to work in a professional environment, you won't achieve much success.

I completely disagree. Can you imagine how sad it would be if the purpose of life was just getting good grades and degrees? Even with degrees, many many people find it difficult to secure themselves a job after going to uni... or rather, a job they want to do. The entire point of grades and degrees is to make you knowledgeable in a certain topic which can hopefully be used in the job you want, but in reality, that’s just not possible a majority of the time. I’d say something valued over degrees is social skills and how charismatic the person is. If there’s one thing I’ve learnt, a likable personality can take you so far. For example, in a job interview, you’ll see so many people with pretty much identical degrees for the specific job, and so they would nail it down to the final candidate based on other things: how likable they are, so they’d work well with their colleagues.. how much work experience they’ve got, so the employers know they can work in that environment. They are both very useful. Wow I was ranty lol didn’t know I was passionate about this pfff
Reply 8
You're very narrow-minded, it's incredibly weird to call established people lucky to get there without a degree. How many people do you see who have graduated and failed to get jobs? This shouldn't happen if your mindset was in play.

Gaining experience is equally or more important in the harsh world out there
In your career:
The options you're willing to consider.
Your ability to negotiate more generally.
Your ability to monitor the market.
Your ability/willingness to balance where the market is going with what interests you.
Your ability to sell yourself and the products/services of your firm.
Your ability to learn from your mistakes/failures.
Your resilience.
Your ability to play to your strengths
Your ability to acknowledge your weaknesses and collaborate with those, for whom they are strengths

For your general happiness:
Your relationships.
Your hobbies
Your ability to manage your money (very different from earning it)
Your physical and mental health and how you look after it
Your sex life and whether you see it as an embarrassing secret to sweep under the carpet and pretend everything's fine or take action to improve it
Your mental strength to be the person you want to be vs. letting the norms define you while still listening to advice from others

Need I go on? If you think your grades are half as important as any of those once you pass 25, you're wrong. At most, there's a couple of jobs out there you'll struggle to get if your grades were down. Boo-hoo. You weren't suited for them anyway and we're back into not being confined by norms.
Original post by cat811
Me:

As and Bs at A-level.
Lots of A*s etc. at GCSE

Their own homes
Children of their own

wow matlab, this sounds boring. Have you never heard of python?

MSc in nuclear... , you now do sound interesting! (I don't know why this line sounds sarcastic but I am serious about this second point)
Original post by cat811
Me:

As and Bs at A-level.
Lots of A*s etc. at GCSE

Their own homes
Children of their own

Why are they morons?
Different people have different priorities in life. I got A*s-Bs at.alevels too. Am I moron for choosing not to go to university?
You may think your highly educated but don't be fooled, Your completely ignorant and have a classic student mindset.

Horny sex
Why are they morons?
Different people have different priorities in life. I got A*s-Bs at.alevels too. Am I moron for choosing not to go to university?
You may think your highly educated but don't be fooled, Your completely ignorant and have a classic student mindset.

He said Morons who left after GCSEs, you took A-levels so you are not a moron. Chill bro.

Spoiler

Original post by CuriosityYay
He said Morons who left after GCSEs, you took A-levels so you are not a moron. Chill bro.

Spoiler

Is this reply a troll😂 Well if not,My point wasn't "Wahwah wah don't call me a moron because I don't have a degree" my point was that someone **choosing** not to study a degree or Alevels doesn't make them a moron.
Is this reply a troll😂 Well if not,My point wasn't "Wahwah wah don't call me a moron because I don't have a degree" my point was that someone **choosing** not to study a degree or Alevels doesn't make them a moron.

Did you not read the spoiler? someone **choosing** not to study a degree or Alevels does make them a moron (in the vast majority of cases :wink:).
Did you not read the spoiler? someone **choosing** not to study a degree or Alevels does make them a moron (in the vast majority of cases :wink:).

I was replying to person with the master's degree not CuriosityYay

And I disagree that the vast majority are morons. I know a lot of idiots,And they all are about to graduate.
And I disagree that the vast majority are morons. I know a lot of idiots,And they all are about to graduate.

And I don't disagree, a surprisingly large number of graduates are also morons.

To sum up, there is a portion of the human population which is considered moron. The percentage of morons without A-levels is higher than the percentage of morons with a degree. There are no morons in this thread. Live is good! :u:
Where did this little fact come from?
Maybe just a different kind of Moron...
Anyway, id rather be a happy moron than a bitter graduate.
Take care

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending