The Student Room Group

What grade is this? Music GCSE

I’m in year 9, doing music as a GCSE. For solo performance, I got 26/30 and was wondering if this is around a 9?

Not sure what exam board it is, but it contains:

Solo
Ensemble
Composition
Theory

Cheers.
Reply 1
Hi LN05,

All this information is according to June 2018 GCSE grade boundaries - the same boundaries where I achieved a 9 overall.

Assuming you got 26 in ensemble as well, this would be around a grade 8 for the performance component. If you achieved 27 marks in both, this would be a grade 9. Though, that is not to say you will achieve a 9 overall.

If you are aiming for a 9 overall, you should try to achieve full marks in both performance and composition components, perhaps dropping a few marks if your theory (listening and appraising component) knowledge is solid. This is because, often, the listening and appraising component is considered much harder than the practical components, and is where the most marks are lost.

Your exam board is OCR Music GCSE (J536).

Hope that helps,

Liam
Reply 2
Original post by liamfu
Hi LN05,

All this information is according to June 2018 GCSE grade boundaries - the same boundaries where I achieved a 9 overall.

Assuming you got 26 in ensemble as well, this would be around a grade 8 for the performance component. If you achieved 27 marks in both, this would be a grade 9. Though, that is not to say you will achieve a 9 overall.

If you are aiming for a 9 overall, you should try to achieve full marks in both performance and composition components, perhaps dropping a few marks if your theory (listening and appraising component) knowledge is solid. This is because, often, the listening and appraising component is considered much harder than the practical components, and is where the most marks are lost.

Hope that helps,

Liam

Cheers mate
Reply 3
Original post by liamfu
Hi LN05,

Hope that helps,

Liam

Ignore this
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending