The Student Room Group

foundation application dilemma

hi guys i would really appreciate some advice

im really hoping to get into london deaneries, and i have put north west 1st preference, central london 2nd preference and south thames as my 3rd option. what im worried about is the south thames as i may end up way out of london for FY1 AND FY2 if im not lucky, eg. 3/4 hours away from my home in london for whole of foundation eg brighton or kent hospitals... Should i take the risk and keep south thames as my 3rd option? i may end up atleast 1 year in london one year out if im lucky..OR should i stay on the safe side and keep an easier deanery thats far away from me but all hospitals are 2 hours away from my home in london(due to fast trains)
Original post by medicalstuff

im really hoping to get into london deaneries, and i have put north west 1st preference, central london 2nd preference and south thames as my 3rd option. what im worried about is the south thames as i may end up way out of london for FY1 AND FY2 if im not lucky, eg. 3/4 hours away from my home in london for whole of foundation eg brighton or kent hospitals... Should i take the risk and keep south thames as my 3rd option? i may end up atleast 1 year in london one year out if im lucky..OR should i stay on the safe side and keep an easier deanery thats far away from me but all hospitals are 2 hours away from my home in london(due to fast trains)

If you think you are going to do well in SJT and have a high score from deciles, then put south Thames. If you are worried about your score, then since the london ones are highly competitive you are maybe more likely to get the places further away, so might choose a different deanery?
Reply 2
Original post by medicalstuff

If you nearly have the grades for central or north west then you should get into a london links sub deanery within south thames fairly comfortably. Also, even the furthest places away from London (like Margate or Canterbury) are within 2 hours by train, so if thats your cut off for acceptability I think you'll be okay!
Original post by HHaricot
If you think you are going to do well in SJT and have a high score from deciles, then put south Thames. If you are worried about your score, then since the london ones are highly competitive you are maybe more likely to get the places further away, so might choose a different deanery?

Original post by Gildee
If you nearly have the grades for central or north west then you should get into a london links sub deanery within south thames fairly comfortably. Also, even the furthest places away from London (like Margate or Canterbury) are within 2 hours by train, so if thats your cut off for acceptability I think you'll be okay!

whats a good decile for this deanery? its such a big deanery >740 intake.
Reply 4
Original post by MedMed12
whats a good decile for this deanery? its such a big deanery >740 intake.

Obviously depends a bit on whether you want to get jobs in south london or if you're planning for coast and country etc. but just to get into the deanery I think you can expect to get in with a score around 78 or 79, whereas north central and north west is more like 83/84.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending