The Student Room Group

Universities For Law? (aiming for MC law firm)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amedits
I’m the same position as you sort of, I only got 6 3A’s, 1B a C* and a C ( I’m from Northern Ireland so we don’t have numbers ) and I also passed two btechs but I doubt unis care. I’m aiming for high predicted grades and I’m going to apply to Bristol, maybe Durham, Liverpool, Exeter and Nottingham

Good luck, at least im not the only one xD
Don't let anyone put you off. Nothing about your GCSE results says you can't make a strong university for law. Especially if you did no work and didn't go to classes. Once you have strong predictions - and especially have strong achieved grades you can get in.

Every year on these boards and others we read of people who did just that. Far more could if they understood that they just had to give it a go and see if they could progress.
Original post by ajj2000
Don't let anyone put you off. Nothing about your GCSE results says you can't make a strong university for law. Especially if you did no work and didn't go to classes. Once you have strong predictions - and especially have strong achieved grades you can get in.

Every year on these boards and others we read of people who did just that. Far more could if they understood that they just had to give it a go and see if they could progress.

Had a look and couldn't fine a thread for this so thought id ask, I qualify for a contextual offer so my A level entry requirements are reduced by Two, If i was to meet the standard entry requirements would they perceive me to have outperformed someone without a contextual offer who got the same?
Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd
Ok so due to a lack of focus and attendance i only achieved 5 C grades at GCSE (maths and English included) however im now taking A levels and am being much more productive attending and revising etc and am looking at pursuing a career in law.

The ultimate goal is to work for a MC law firm and obviously to maximise my chance of this i would want to attend a respected RG university, so firstly which universities would you recommend that are respected in law and don't place much emphasis on GCSES (i am expecting AAA or AAB) i am also doing a Law based EPQ if that is of relevance and how do you recommend i build a good personal statement, pretty loaded question any help is greatly appreciated.

Similar to me here pal I only have 5 GCSEs and want to do law at Manchester. What a levels are you doing and what do you plan to do for your epq?
Had a look and couldn't fine a thread for this so thought id ask, I qualify for a contextual offer so my A level entry requirements are reduced by Two, If i was to meet the standard entry requirements would they perceive me to have outperformed someone without a contextual offer who got the same?

No. That's not necessarily how it works.

In some cases, if the course is at a very competitive University it may come down to your personal statement, predicted grades and educational achievements etc but generally most universities (maybe excluding the absolute top ones) will make majority of their applicants offers (from what I've seen around approximately 26k-40k if not more or less, offers in total).

Once you're made an offer e.g if you're made a contextual offer of ABB then you hold that condition until results day and if you meet the grades then you'll be given the place no matter what. If you miss a grade then the Uni may or may not decide to let you in, that's their choice. It comes down to getting the offer in the first place, and though there will be more competitive applicants, with the right predicted grades and personal statement I'm sure you'll be made some too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by daveymcloughlin
Similar to me here pal I only have 5 GCSEs and want to do law at Manchester. What a levels are you doing and what do you plan to do for your epq?

I am doing History, Sociology and Philosophy and ethics and for my EPQ im doing one revolving around
claiming insanity to avoid legal punishment
(edited 4 years ago)
I am doing History, Sociology and Philosophy and ethics and for my EPQ im doing one revolving around
claiming insanity to avoid legal punishment

You in first year?
You in first year?

Yes
Yes

You going do your epq in the summer holidays then and what are your predicted grades
You going do your epq in the summer holidays then and what are your predicted grades

Due to my lack of attendance they haven't given me any yet as nobody really knows how im going to perform, I had 20% attendance for 3 years and somehow passed all exams i took so id like to think if i dedicate myself to my studies AAA or AAB is not unreasonable

And so far our school hasn't had time to do the EPQ meetings and stuff where we go over it so ill start it immediately once we go over the structure and what needs to be included
Reply 30
I’m literally in a similar position to you I got an 8 in maths GCSE 7 in English lit and 6 in English language and one more 7 and the rest were Cs. But for a levels I am predicted an A*AA and I am also aiming for a RG uni so I’m going to try really hard this year and make a strong personal statement.
Due to my lack of attendance they haven't given me any yet as nobody really knows how im going to perform, I had 20% attendance for 3 years and somehow passed all exams i took so id like to think if i dedicate myself to my studies AAA or AAB is not unreasonable

And so far our school hasn't had time to do the EPQ meetings and stuff where we go over it so ill start it immediately once we go over the structure and what needs to be included

Your target grades will probably be D’s tbh pal but they should go up at end of year ready for uni application.

When do you have to tell your college you want to do an epq?
Your target grades will probably be D’s tbh pal but they should go up at end of year ready for uni application.

When do you have to tell your college you want to do an epq?

our college has said till end of this month but it might differ for you, also we have alot of assessments at our school which our teachers mark and give us a grade, most the time i get a grade in the higher end of the class would this result in better Predicted grades or will they go solely of gcse grades
our college has said till end of this month but it might differ for you, also we have alot of assessments at our school which our teachers mark and give us a grade, most the time i get a grade in the higher end of the class would this result in better Predicted grades or will they go solely of gcse grades

Dunno mate. Mine were set solely on GCSE
My advice is to take a gap year after you get your A-Levels. Work in a law-related job, travel, find yourself etc. You'll be in a much better position for applying to uni

Dont spend time thinking about 'target' grades etc - one month in they are meaningless. Your target grades should be A's - that is what you have to aim for.

Predictions for UCAS purposes will be made based on end of year 1 exams and possibly some year 2 mock exams. Not some tests you do now or GCSE results.
Why are you so dead-set on MC anyway? You shouldn't only look at 5 firms because you think they're the be-all and end-all. Look at the ones that focus on practice areas you're interested in.

Who are 'they'? Law firms? universities?
Original post by HarvestingSeason
Why are you so dead-set on MC anyway? You shouldn't only look at 5 firms because you think they're the be-all and end-all. Look at the ones that focus on practice areas you're interested in.

Honestly the starting salary is the main reason, however i do have a genuine passion for debating/law
Original post by ajj2000
Who are 'they'? Law firms? universities?

Universities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending