The Student Room Group

Abortion and same-sex marriage ban to be removed in Northern Ireland

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHallowvale
Of course, but the child doesn't have the right to use the woman's body without her permission.

Original post by Wired_1800
the child should not be murdered.

Here we have two people at opposite ends of the spectrum each as inhuman as the other. One argues for abortion as a matter of property rights over the mother's womb who would kill a healthy baby from a healthy mother as a matter of lifestyle choice, and the other would force heartbreak, pain and risk on a mother who is carrying an extremely unhealthy baby who will be born fatally malformed.

A plague on both your houses!
Original post by Good bloke
Here we have two people at opposite ends of the spectrum each as inhuman as the other. One argues for abortion as a matter of property rights over the mother's womb who would kill a healthy baby from a healthy mother as a matter of lifestyle choice, and the other would force heartbreak, pain and risk on a mother who is carrying an extremely unhealthy baby who will be born fatally malformed.

I am not at the far extreme, as you have pointed out. If a child is dying or dead in the womb, why should I plague the woman with carrying a dead baby to full term. I don't support abortion but i can understand the argument for medical emergencies where the life of the mother or child is at grave and immediate danger. This scenario is not one of casual choice but one where top surgeons, doctors, nurses and staff are battling to save either mother or child, where both cant survive.
Original post by AJ126y
Its not killing anything. By your great logic everytime a guy has a **** he's killed millions of children which is stupid.

A sperm is not a child though. It forms part of the ability to form a child at conception. Life begins at conception where the sperm joins the ovum and becomes a human at the earliest stage of its development.
A sperm is not a child though. It forms part of the ability to form a child at conception. Life begins at conception where the sperm joins the ovum and becomes a human at the earliest stage of its development.

Neither is an embryo that's the point.
Original post by AJ126y
Neither is an embryo that's the point.

An embryo is the earlier stages of human development after conception. Did you fail your biology lessons?
For other things, I think consent matters. However, for unborn children, consent does not matter because the child should not be murdered.

I have spoken to about 104 women with 98% saying so. Now, I admit I don't know whether they were lying to me, but I am taking their response at face value.

Suppose someone surgically attached someone to your body without your consent. Do you think you should have the right to detached them from your body?

Okay, so the sample is small and the people involved aren't necessarily representative of the population as a whole.

Cool story?

Do you want to actually explain your objections or.. ?
I think in this day and age the arguments against same sex marriages don’t hold any wait and I think Northern Ireland is quite late but it is good that it has allowed it.

In regard to abortion, I am and always will be pro choice as I understand that it is a very emotional issue and everyone has a strong opinion of it. I will admit that I don’t think I could go through with one unless I absolutely had to and that I do often disagree with women who use it in lieu of contraception. However, everyone should have the option and either use it or leave it - but never condemn it because banning abortions only stops safe abortions.

I am so glad that Northern Ireland has decided to withdraw the bans on these.

Do you bite your thumb at us sir?
Suppose someone surgically attached someone to your body without your consent. Do you think you should have the right to detached them from your body?

Okay, so the sample is small and the people involved aren't necessarily representative of the population as a whole.

That is different to a woman conceiving and her baby growing in her womb. Your example is an artificial attachment while abortion wants the murder of a child conceived naturally.

I doubt that the other study was representative of the whole population and we wont understand the possible biases.

I reject this comment.
Original post by Glaz
Do you bite your thumb at us sir?

I do bite my thumb, you starvelling, you elf-skin, you dried neat’s-tongue, bull’s-pizzle, you stock-fish!
I do bite my thumb, you starvelling, you elf-skin, you dried neat’s-tongue, bull’s-pizzle, you stock-fish!

I was not giving you sympathy but reaching out to discuss with you, if you need to do so.

To your point, I don't think the baby’s choice should or must be discounted. To imagine that my parents could have aborted me, when I wanted to be born is appalling.

To your previous post, what happens if the mother wants to kill the baby, but the father does not want that to happen. What happens them?

Question: How did you want yourself to be born even though unborn babies are literal cells with still evolving organs?
Do you want to actually explain your objections or.. ?

I believe the current English law has it dead right. It bans abortion (in recognition that it is the killing of a life) except in clearly-defined circumstances which are centred around the physical and mental health of mother and baby. It demands that three doctors, in good faith, agree that the procedure is necessary and sets an upper limit of foetal development on when it can be performed.

This protects the foetus and allows a humane approach in case of clearly-justified need. It is humane.

The only change I would consider would be a semi-regular review of the development limit in line with medical ability to save the foetus.

I would also like to see a crackdown on those doctors who abuse the system with essentially fake (and certainly not 'good faith' certicates. Having a few charged, convicted and struck off would do wonders in that respect.

Abortion for lifestyle reasons is abhorrent, as is a blanket ban on terminations. Both are inhumane.
Abortion for lifestyle reasons is abhorrent.... Both are inhumane.

Why?

If I were raped and conceived a child as a result of that rape, why would it be abhorrent for me to abort the child? I never wanted it and I didn't consent to it using my body.
That is different to a woman conceiving and her baby growing in her womb. Your example is an artificial attachment while abortion wants the murder of a child conceived naturally.

I doubt that the other study was representative of the whole population and we wont understand the possible biases.

Why is it acceptable to use someone's body without their consent if it's 'natural' but not if it's 'artificial'?

You doubt it because it doesn't agree with your own experiences. Your own experiences are, by your own admission, biased towards select groups of women. The study, as far as I can tell, isn't biased towards select groups (other than those who have had abortions).
Why?

If I were raped and conceived a child as a result of that rape, why would it be abhorrent for me to abort the child? I never wanted it and I didn't consent to it using my body.

Back you come to your property rights. The only justification for a post-rape abortion is if the woman would suffer grave detriment to her mental health by carrying it to term. If she would then an abortion is in order; if not, then it isn't. The right to an abortion is not, and should not be, automatic after rape.

Appealing to specious ideas of consent and property isn't helpful . It is as bad as the other extreme spouting about murder.
Why is it acceptable to use someone's body without their consent if it's 'natural' but not if it's 'artificial'?

You doubt it because it doesn't agree with your own experiences. Your own experiences are, by your own admission, biased towards select groups of women. The study, as far as I can tell, isn't biased towards select groups (other than those who have had abortions).

Because natural is part of the child’s development process, but artificial is not.

We don't know what the bias for such a study was. Maybe they tried to use that as a tool for pro-abortion groups. You never know.
Original post by wwowowowo
Question: How did you want yourself to be born even though unborn babies are literal cells with still evolving organs?

Unborn babies are not literal cells but a human being with brain function and other attributes. Just because they are helpless does not mean that its mother should murder it because she could not be bothered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending