The Student Room Group

Does anyone have a good structure for A level English literature?

I have heard that some people manage to make a formulaic approach to their answers in order to help them get As, although this does not guarantee an A, I would just like to see what the A grade type of structure looks like. Thanks.
Original post by internetwarrior
I have heard that some people manage to make a formulaic approach to their answers in order to help them get As, although this does not guarantee an A, I would just like to see what the A grade type of structure looks like. Thanks.

For A-level English having a formulaic approach is the worst way to get an A u get marked on your A01 which is the structure but if u use a formulaic structure instead of a fluid approach (one you get by just improving your writing style over time) you won’t score as highly as people who don’t use a set structure and yet write a good essay so basically I would say this is bad advice (I study English and my mums and English lit teacher)
Always have a very clear introduction and conclusion, clearly setting out what you are going to do and what you then got done.

Credentials: I got an A* but I was a bad student - only revised for 3/4 papers - did stupidly well in 2, good in one, and poorly in the 4th, but it averaged out.
Original post by emilybond:)
For A-level English having a formulaic approach is the worst way to get an A u get marked on your A01 which is the structure but if u use a formulaic structure instead of a fluid approach (one you get by just improving your writing style over time) you won’t score as highly as people who don’t use a set structure and yet write a good essay so basically I would say this is bad advice (I study English and my mums and English lit teacher)

Though basic things like having a clear argument run through your essay backed up by A02 and critics (not needed for all essays) is what you should aim for and three paragraphs headed by themes such as “the writers present fear in these books through the dichotomy between good and evil” but this doesn’t work for all essays some u can do agree disagree and only need two paragraphs and that can work better that’s why overally thinking about structure doesn’t help
Which exam board are you? mine is Edexcel

with literature, there isn't a specific structure to follow just hit all the points in the mark scheme. you need to develop your won style. But in comparison essays its rly important to have an integrated comparison meaning to try and compare throughout. so even if you have one para for one novel and second para for the other novel, in each of those paragraphs try to mention the other novel also at the start of the next paragraph summarise your previous point.
I'm attaching a redrafted essay I have done in my mock in which I got a B but the teacher told me that he marked it rly harshly and it's worth an A, and I'm sure with the redraft I did it might get an A*.

Also if anyone does The Handmaid's Tale or Frankenstein, I've made a bank of quotation if you want me to send it to you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by emilybond:)

Ah I see. Right now I make my argument flow like how you described, but I hear quite a lot how people have a general approach to every question, which I guess was a result of them practicing to get one. Thanks for your response it was helpful.
Original post by Edminzodo
Always have a very clear introduction and conclusion, clearly setting out what you are going to do and what you then got done.

Credentials: I got an A* but I was a bad student - only revised for 3/4 papers - did stupidly well in 2, good in one, and poorly in the 4th, but it averaged out.

I suppose at the start the A level course seems so intimidating, so I will remember to try and keep my writing clear, however I always think I have to do more than I actually have to. Thanks I will remember your advice.
I suppose at the start the A level course seems so intimidating, so I will remember to try and keep my writing clear, however I always think I have to do more than I actually have to. Thanks I will remember your advice.

It was definitely the most intimidating A-Level I did. I was getting awful marks at first. It's very much an uphill struggle, so don't worry too much at this point.
Original post by Zahra_2001

with literature, there isn't a specific structure to follow just hit all the points in the mark scheme. you need to develop your won style. But in comparison essays its rly important to have an integrated comparison meaning to try and compare throughout. so even if you have one para for one novel and second para for the other novel, in each of those paragraphs try to mention the other novel also at the start of the next paragraph summarise your previous point.
I'm attaching a redrafted essay I have done in my mock in which I got a B but the teacher told me that he marked it rly harshly and it's worth an A, and I'm sure with the redraft I did it might get an A*.

Also if anyone does The Handmaid's Tale or Frankenstein, I've made a bank of quotation if you want me to send it to you.

I study the AQA exam board. I was more focused on how the comparative essay works so this is very useful thanks. When I write these, in each paragraph where I am discussing each extract mention the other once every now and then to make it seem like it flows naturally, because i did this at GCSE and got a very good grade as a result. To be honest I think it's because I'm thinking the essay structure has to change drastically since it is a A level.

Someone wanted me to attach the Bank of quotations- here they are.
I study the AQA exam board. I was more focused on how the comparative essay works so this is very useful thanks. When I write these, in each paragraph where I am discussing each extract mention the other once every now and then to make it seem like it flows naturally, because i did this at GCSE and got a very good grade as a result. To be honest I think it's because I'm thinking the essay structure has to change drastically since it is a A level.

not necessarily, if you had a really good essay structure at GCSE it will be fine to use it. But also remember to have a clear line of argument and keep going back to it :smile:
Original post by Edminzodo
It was definitely the most intimidating A-Level I did. I was getting awful marks at first. It's very much an uphill struggle, so don't worry too much at this point.

I am worried about how the low grades would affect target grade for university application next year. However like you said it should get better with more practice, so they should naturally improve if I do better. Thanks.
As a basic technique, "slimey pee" is always a good fall-back.

That is, SLIME as a tool to analyse the text - structure, language, interpretation, meaning, and effect; and PEE as a tool to give a basic structure to your essay - point, evidence, explain (that is, state your point, provide textual evidence for it, and explain how that text makes your point, using the SLIME as a basic structure to begin that with).

You'll need more than this to get the top grades but it's a good basic method to use (especially for unseen texts where you have a lot less external context to bring in).
(edited 4 years ago)
not necessarily, if you had a really good essay structure at GCSE it will be fine to use it. But also remember to have a clear line of argument and keep going back to it :smile:

Will do, thanks.
Original post by artful_lounger
As a basic technique, "slimey pee" is always a good fall-back.

That is, SLIME as a tool to analyse the text - structure, language, interpretation, meaning, and effect; and PEE as a tool to give a basic structure to your essay - point, evidence, explain (that is, state your point, provide textual evidence for it, and explain how that text makes your point, using the SLIME as a basic structure to begin that with).

You'll need more than this to get the top grades but it's a good basic method to use (especially for unseen texts where you have a lot less external context to bring in).

This structure does seem very good for unseen so I will try it when I start them. Thanks.
Finally, how much would you say vocabulary could change the grade.
Finally, how much would you say vocabulary could change the grade.

I don't have the best vocab- I think it doesn't matter. but My teacher always tells me to pay attention to small things like- instead of can't say can not.
I am worried about how the low grades would affect target grade for university application next year. However like you said it should get better with more practice, so they should naturally improve if I do better. Thanks.

If you're on an uphill trajectory your teachers should predict your grades accordingly. I was predicted an A after averaging A/B borderline by the end of Y12, then got an A*.
Here's my structure. When it is done effectively, it never fails, hit all the AOs (or marking points) that are in the mark scheme for that question. The rest is up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending