The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Placement to do or not to do

Tier 4 full-time 3-year international student. I wanted to do a placement between my 2nd and 3rd year(final year) but my visa doesn't cover the placement year.

Theres's a few scenario i wanted to ask if they are valid:
***CAPITALIZED SENTENCE ARE MY QUESTION FOR EACH SCENARIO, sorry if it looked angry... Was trying to highlight the main doubt i had***

Scenario 1 - Finish 3-year study and apply for Tier 2 work visa. SO I WOULD HAVE TO FOUND A WORKPLACE THAT WOULD SPONSER ME BEFORE I FULLY GRADUATE TO CHANGE TO TIER 2?

Scenario 2 - Apply for placement now as soon as possible to renew visa to add in a placement year. DO ANYONE KNOW PROPER ORDER OF THINGS TO DO IF I FOLLOW THIS OPTION. WHICH AREA DO I TACKLE? LIKE START BY SENDING CV TO COMPANY AND WAIT TILL SOMEONE ACCEPT ME AND INFORM THE UNI BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE, ETC?

Scenario 3 - Work in between the end of 2nd year and before the start of 3rd year. Eg:- Term time of 2nd year ends at Apr and 3rd year starts in Sept. So a total of 4 or 5 months of summer holiday. CAN I WORK WITHOUT HAVING TO EXTEND VISA? AS SEEN THAT DURING TERM TIME ONLY 20 WORKING HOUR PER WEEK IS ONLY ALLOWED. SO IF I WORK IN THE SUMMER HOLIDAY AND USING CURRENT VISA, WILL THAT BE OK?
Original post by Anonymous
Tier 4 full-time 3-year international student. I wanted to do a placement between my 2nd and 3rd year(final year) but my visa doesn't cover the placement year.

***CAPITALIZED SENTENCE ARE MY QUESTION FOR EACH SCENARIO, sorry if it looked angry... Was trying to highlight the main doubt i had***

Scenario 1 - Finish 3-year study and apply for Tier 2 work visa. SO I WOULD HAVE TO FOUND A WORKPLACE THAT WOULD SPONSER ME BEFORE I FULLY GRADUATE TO CHANGE TO TIER 2?

Scenario 2 - Apply for placement now as soon as possible to renew visa to add in a placement year. DO ANYONE KNOW PROPER ORDER OF THINGS TO DO IF I FOLLOW THIS OPTION. WHICH AREA DO I TACKLE? LIKE START BY SENDING CV TO COMPANY AND WAIT TILL SOMEONE ACCEPT ME AND INFORM THE UNI BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE, ETC?

Scenario 3 - Work in between the end of 2nd year and before the start of 3rd year. Eg:- Term time of 2nd year ends at Apr and 3rd year starts in Sept. So a total of 4 or 5 months of summer holiday. CAN I WORK WITHOUT HAVING TO EXTEND VISA? AS SEEN THAT DURING TERM TIME ONLY 20 WORKING HOUR PER WEEK IS ONLY ALLOWED. SO IF I WORK IN THE SUMMER HOLIDAY AND USING CURRENT VISA, WILL THAT BE OK?

Hello,

I would suggest you email the university for more information regarding visas using the following email:

[email protected]

I hope this is useful!

Amy
Coventry University - Coventry
Biomedical Science student
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

Hello,

I am an international student at Coventry University, and to my understanding all three scenarios are possible. However in order of things it is best to begin with scenario 2. Using the email my colleague Amy provided below ([email protected]), it is advisable to immediately write to the university's visa team to inform them of your intention to go on a placement year. Consequently, write to your careers department, as they are often very helpful with searching for last minute placements for students. Not to put all your eggs in one basket, you may also search and apply for available placement opportunities using Ratemyplacement. Linkedin is also a good avenue to write to employers in small companies who may be searching for interns.

Alternatively, as stated in scenario 3, you can work full time over the summer holiday. Visa work limitations of 20 hours per week during term time means you can only work 20 hours per week when the university is in session. However, because you are on long holidays you can apply for full-time jobs. You do need to extend your visa to work full-time during summer holidays, and you can work full-time during summer holidays on your current Tier 4 visa.

Lastly, option 3 may be used regardless of whether you secure a placement opportunity or not. As you rightly said, it entails you securing an offer from a company with a tier 2 sponsorship who will be willing to sponsor your visa. To do this, it is best to search using this link <https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/877948/2020-04-03_Tier_2_5_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf> to ascertain if your desired company has a tier 2 sponsorship badge. You may also call/send an email to confirm as some companies listed on the website in reality may not be willing to sponsor visa applications for certain roles.

Also, be sure to check the deadlines of the applications and do not leave them to last minute. Typically, graduate job applications open in September of your final year and run through to April when offers are given. There is the possibility of applications re-opening in May.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask me.

Theophila Akpenyi-Hilary, Coventry university Campus, LLB law.

Quick Reply

Latest