The Student Room Group

Does Applying for a course with a placement year make it harder to receive an offer?

I have just finished my first year of A levels and have a solid base for applying to most universities of my choice. I was wondering if I wanted to apply for a course at a certain university, would I have a different chance of receiving an offer if I am applying for that course or for the same course with a placement year, or if it would have no effect, as I would like to do a placement year for the benefits however if it means I am less likely to receive an offer from the university then I think I will stay away from it as I want the best chance I can of receiving an offer from my first choice uni. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I dont think courses with a placement year are harder to get into, at least when I was applying last year and going to open days some universities where flexible with students adding or dropping the placement year during attending the university. for example some people may realise that they want to do a placement year but did not apply for one originally, they would go to there tutor or whoever and all they needed to do was find a placement in second year. it may be different were your applying though so maybe email and ask at open days?
it will depend on the university. one uni i applied to had higher grades needed for the course with placement year and if you applied for the non-placement year course there was no option to switch to the course with placement year. i'm at cardiff uni rn and it was super easy to switch between placement year and non placement year course. if you want to do a placement year i would say just apply for it, having a year of industry experience can be very beneficial as there are so many university graduates who graduate without any.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Jakeh58
I have just finished my first year of A levels and have a solid base for applying to most universities of my choice. I was wondering if I wanted to apply for a course at a certain university, would I have a different chance of receiving an offer if I am applying for that course or for the same course with a placement year, or if it would have no effect, as I would like to do a placement year for the benefits however if it means I am less likely to receive an offer from the university then I think I will stay away from it as I want the best chance I can of receiving an offer from my first choice uni. Thanks in advance!

Hey there @Jakeh58 !
There's no difference in the difficulty to get on a course that offers a placement year compared to one that doesn't. The courses that offer one tend to offer it as an optional choice, unless you're doing a course such as Nursing, Medicine, Primary Education etc. Those sorts of courses, a placement is compulsory. For my course, a placement year is optional so we all just signed onto the one that offered it (it will come up as a Sandwich Course). That way we could decide whether we wanted to do one at the time. You only really need the technicalities when it comes to applying for student finance and letting the university know whether you play to re-enroll for the next year.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending