The Student Room Group

BIMM or Goldsmiths?

Ok, so I went to BIMM London's open day, where I was introduced to the Music Marketing, Media and Communications Course and I instantly feel in love with the atmosphere. With being taught by the best of the best of people, working in the Music Industry and being able to exchange my campus for a year or two to Berlin/Manchester, and just being in a musical environment, its seems a perfect place for me.

However, I have also heard that since its owned by a private company, it's main focus is to earn as much money from students and have complained about not being delivered the expected teaching quality, unlike the open day.

Also, despite me enjoying it, It also does seem like a place where its most focused on being like others eg having a HUGE focus on pop and rock rather than experimental and niche genres and with examples of the alumni such as James Bay (which are not exactly influential but still successful) , I can easily feel out of place within the institution as my music taste is varied (not saying that's bad, its just what I felt) but that's expected when you are at a vocationally focused institution. I will also be one of the first students to be taught the subject, which i'm also skeptical about due to horror stories within different uni students, having the same experience.

Going onto Goldsmiths, It's a well renowned university for the creative arts and media and with alumni such as Blur and James Blake but also rising musicians such as the whole PC Music scene, it seems like that the people that do go here, the people seem very unique, want to experiment and change things within the music scene but also politically/artistically as well, which is pretty crucial to me as that I don't want to be writing articles about "a next revolutionary act" only to come out of there and know, it's a same sounding pop act, with the same thoughts and style, which will completely bore me, if I'm being honest (not that pop is bad, like I'm obsessed with pop music as well of other genres)

But, I also heard that Goldsmiths is very similar to of BIMM and are very focused on profiting off students and not offered the quality teaching. Due to recent news, I also have heard that their support system is very rubbish are heavily disorganized and staff don't treat BAME students very well, despite the uni supposedly being accepting on all kinds of students. The course I will be studying will be Media and Sociology, which is completely ideal for me as that this has been taught a few years now and so it's more organised and structured???

I shouldn't be focusing on the Alumni as it is what I make of it. But, as I also want to make sure that I make a wise choice as that I don't want to regret my choices and be in more debt, but also know which place I'm going to enjoy more and so this is why i'm making this thread.

AND SO, PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!! THXS :frown::frown::burnout::burnout::cry::cry:
Original post by Blackcat865
Ok, so I went to BIMM London's open day, where I was introduced to the Music Marketing, Media and Communications Course and I instantly feel in love with the atmosphere. With being taught by the best of the best of people, working in the Music Industry and being able to exchange my campus for a year or two to Berlin/Manchester, and just being in a musical environment, its seems a perfect place for me.

However, I have also heard that since its owned by a private company, it's main focus is to earn as much money from students and have complained about not being delivered the expected teaching quality, unlike the open day.

Also, despite me enjoying it, It also does seem like a place where its most focused on being like others eg having a HUGE focus on pop and rock rather than experimental and niche genres and with examples of the alumni such as James Bay (which are not exactly influential but still successful) , I can easily feel out of place within the institution as my music taste is varied (not saying that's bad, its just what I felt) but that's expected when you are at a vocationally focused institution. I will also be one of the first students to be taught the subject, which i'm also skeptical about due to horror stories within different uni students, having the same experience.

Going onto Goldsmiths, It's a well renowned university for the creative arts and media and with alumni such as Blur and James Blake but also rising musicians such as the whole PC Music scene, it seems like that the people that do go here, the people seem very unique, want to experiment and change things within the music scene but also politically/artistically as well, which is pretty crucial to me as that I don't want to be writing articles about "a next revolutionary act" only to come out of there and know, it's a same sounding pop act, with the same thoughts and style, which will completely bore me, if I'm being honest (not that pop is bad, like I'm obsessed with pop music as well of other genres)

But, I also heard that Goldsmiths is very similar to of BIMM and are very focused on profiting off students and not offered the quality teaching. Due to recent news, I also have heard that their support system is very rubbish are heavily disorganized and staff don't treat BAME students very well, despite the uni supposedly being accepting on all kinds of students. The course I will be studying will be Media and Sociology, which is completely ideal for me as that this has been taught a few years now and so it's more organised and structured???

I shouldn't be focusing on the Alumni as it is what I make of it. But, as I also want to make sure that I make a wise choice as that I don't want to regret my choices and be in more debt, but also know which place I'm going to enjoy more and so this is why i'm making this thread.

AND SO, PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!! THXS :frown::frown::burnout::burnout::cry::cry:

what
Reply 2
sorry for making it so long. Just that I need help badly!
hi! i'm a student from BIMM and i don't know the goldsmith's university that much but what you said about Bimm is accurate. What did you choose in the end?
Reply 4
Hi, I eventually chose Goldsmiths in the end cuz it’s just felt that it’s was the right place for me tbh. Also managed to get accepted to the uni too so can’t wait! xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending