The Student Room Group

Wtf counts as an extra curricular

So I have no idea anymore what counts as an extra curricular. From what I’ve heard if your not in a drama group, a music group or a reasonable sized sports team your not doing an extra curricular according to my school. I get that a part time job or Learning a language isn’t an extra curricular and neither is reading but surely at least one thing such as:
- writing short stories to share with the internet on sites like Wattpad
- Blogging to a small following
- Teaching yourself to code and developing app(s) or a website
- Having a small business (a popular one near me is Creating stuff for parties such as Baked goods or sweet cones)
- Tutoring people
- Cooking/Baking for friends/family
- self teaching a musical instrument
Note: these aren’t all mine these are ones people I know who are worried they don’t have extra Curricular’s also do
According to my school it needs to be stuff that has a major reward to count as an extra curricular so for guitar you have to have a Certain grade in it and it has to be from a verified teacher, if your a baker you need to have been on Junior bake off for it to count or a similar, highly ranked show, if your Writing you need to be published and somewhat famous (not J.K Rowling famous but like famous enough where you’d be making a few thousand a year off your writing). As for the rest they wouldn’t even be counted by my school.

Is this true are any of the above extra Curricular’s or is it true that the only Extra Curricular’s that count are ones that are verified and that a decent number of People are aware of.
I mean all the things you listed would count as extra Curricular activity. Not everyone would get a chance to be in junior bake off.
Don’t worry

Quick Reply

Latest