The Student Room Group

Factitious Disease (Faking Mental Disorders)

To start off, I'd like to say that I do not live in the UK. I live in America; However, I feel that this dilemma will most likely apply to the UK as well. I would also like to say that I do not intend to offend or hurt anybody's feelings, and I simply would like to know the opinions of others.

I conducted a personal, casual survey among my peers (yes, I am in high school). The findings were so shocking to me that I could not fathom that these statistics were the reality of what was happening around me that I was so ignorant to see. 55% of the people that I had surveyed claimed to have anxiety, yet only 2% of those individuals were medically diagnosed. Whether this is blamed on conformity, ignorance in regards to mental illnesses, or a simple seek for attention and sympathy. I say this with no negative connotation attached whatsoever.

Coming from someone with psychosis, these statistics and realities of the humor, normality, and general ignorance are extremely upsetting. Why is it that this topic is no longer a valid concern simply because millions cried wolf?
Idk about America but in the UK terms like anxiety, OCD, depression, etc are thrown around limitlessly. I feel like a lot of it is people just pretending in order to receive sympathy or a variety of ulterior motives. In one instance, I even know one guy in my year (Year 13) who has lied about having depression to get predicted higher grades so they can study the course they want at University. I must admit that it is quite appalling seeing how much these terms are thrown around and you're doing good by bringing this up. Unfortunately, it just so happens that a lot of people my age try to act 'edgy' and some people even think it's cool to throw these words around. I also know someone who has clinical depression and even they take great offence to how much these words are thrown around. But what can we do besides rant about it online?
Reply 2
Original post by Chowderzzz
Idk about America but in the UK terms like anxiety, OCD, depression, etc are thrown around limitlessly. I feel like a lot of it is people just pretending in order to receive sympathy or a variety of ulterior motives. In one instance, I even know one guy in my year (Year 13) who has lied about having depression to get predicted higher grades so they can study the course they want at University. I must admit that it is quite appalling seeing how much these terms are thrown around and you're doing good by bringing this up. Unfortunately, it just so happens that a lot of people my age try to act 'edgy' and some people even think it's cool to throw these words around. I also know someone who has clinical depression and even they take great offence to how much these words are thrown around. But what can we do besides rant about it online?

You’re absolutely right. I guess that’s exactly what I’m doing lol.
I think the word 'anxiety' is a difficult one, because while it is a medical diagnosis, it's also a normal word - everybody feels anxious some of the time, before an exam or a job interview - and thus there's a blurring of the lines between clinical and non-clinical anxiety.

Maybe it would help if there was a separate word for the medical diagnosis - to distinguish chronic anxiety that has a severe negative impact on everyday life from normal anxiety during a stressful period of one's life.

Though I think you also need to remember that lots of people will have severe anxiety that hinders them in their everyday life, but will never get a diagnosis, maybe because they don't feel comfortable talking about it with others. Not having a diagnosis doesn't mean they are lying about it.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

Anxiety and Depression are normal feelings that most people will and do experience at some point throughout their lives. Just because they haven't been formally diagnosed changes nothing. The degree to which you suffer them and how they affect your life is what determines whether they should truly be classed as disorder.

I get what you're saying in regards especially to OCD, and in regards to depression too which is thrown around by people way too flagrantly. I've suffered severe anxiety my entire life, but I was never diagnosed with it. I've missed countless experiences and opportunities due to it, yet nobody in my life knows it and I never approached a doctor because I don't want people to find out.

The reality is that you can't just disregard people and their mental health because they're not formally diagnosed with something.
I think for something like anxiety, it'd be difficult. Because experiencing anxiety maybe a few times in your life, and actually having anxiety are two different things, so I reckon a lot of people who aren't diagnosed with anxiety would say they might have it. Plus, anxiety is a rather broad term, it could be that your peers were having anxiety over a certain situation, essay or class, so in that case they do have anxiety, but not too the point of needing a diagnosis, as its dependent on a situation and rather mild, if you get me? I think a lot of people have anxiety and worry/stress as a sort of interchangeable word, so a lot of people who actually have chronic anxiety are bunched together with those who suffer from regular stress
Did they claim to have clinical anxiety? I think you’re stressing over nothing. You asked them, so they weren’t seeking sympathy. Everyone deals with mental health struggles every day, regardless of whether they’ve been diagnosed with something. Life is tough.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Chowderzzz

Its a great excuse also because the uni wont
't question it. For instance I failed coursework totally my fault as didn't study enough but I could play the mh card and get an extension.

Quick Reply

Latest