The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Oxbridge if I have one B grade at GCSE?

I have always been wanting to study computer science at a competitive university such as Imperial or Cambridge. But my current grades are 4A*s, 5As and 1B.
The 4A*s being in Maths, further maths, ICT and Physics.
The B was in religious studies and of course a B isn't a bad grade at all, but the main reason I'm dissatisfied is because I ran out of time and threw away nearly 20% of the marks available and then came to be only 5 marks off an A grade.

I keep fearing that the B would one day backfire on me, I can't bring myself to talk to a friend about this without being judged, and I feel like I'm constantly paranoid and sensitive about my grade, especially when comparing with friends, and was even considering a resit of the exam.
What should I do? Is a resit worth it, even for self satisfaction?
Yes.
Universities don't care at ALL about GCSEs unless you failed a lot of them / got Cs or less in Maths and English language. Its your a-levels/IB that matter. focus on that. If you get good predicted grades, then you should definitely apply for Oxbridge.
Cambridge don’t look at GCSE grades as much- they’re considered more as a benchmark. They care more about your year 12 predicted grades, personal statement, interview process and pre-interview assessment :smile:
Yes, it is absolutely worth applying.
Yeah! I'm pretty sure the requirement is 6As at GCSE, which you definitely have!
I think GCSE grades are given slightly too much importance by students, more so than the amount universities give them. Will Oxbridge look at them? Yes. Could they deny you a place for having bad ones? Yes. Will they? Probably not, so long as you have very good (AAA+) A levels, good personal statement, reference and interview.

Having good GCSEs will never hurt you, but having bad ones won't hurt you as much as you think. A levels are always more important no matter what.
Yes. I think you’re more bothered that your results are marred by the b. Resit or just accept that you don’t have to be perfect all the time. Perfectionism will just make you miserable.
Got a B in GCSE french and got an offer from cam.

SLO for the college I applied to blanketly said they don't consider GCSEs. Though this might be an overexaggeration this is the general attitude.
Reply 8
Hi. Looking back at this post, I've realised how much I grew out of that arrogance and self worth placed on grades. Thanks for all the great replies.
Original post by Gazino
Hi. Looking back at this post, I've realised how much I grew out of that arrogance and self worth placed on grades. Thanks for all the great replies.

Not arrogance at all don't worry about it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people like yourself got the impression you need a clean sweep of A*s throughout GCSE/A-level to have a shot at Oxbridge. This of course isn't the case and the actual process is a lot deeper than this!

Quick Reply

Latest