The Student Room Group

low GCSE'S but high A-Levels

i have achieved grades 8766666654 in GCSE however my predicted A Levels are A*A*A i really want to study at a very academic RG uni but ive been so stressed about my gcse results and how much they will impact whether i get into a RG i want to go to. should i retake my gcses as i really want to go to a rg university?

rg - russel group
Reply 1
I got into Queen Mary, RHUL, and City for CS with 6655 in GCSE and 3A* predicted. I got rejected from KCL and UCL due to 'high competition'. You will be taking the gcse exams at probably the same time as your A Levels which I'm sure no one would recommend. Focus on your A Levels and extra / ultra curriculars to make you stand out. You can always go to a higher university for masters if you get a 2:1 / 1st in undergrad if you don't get into the one you want to or take a gap year if you want to risk it.
There's nothing wrong with your GCSEs, just don't apply to Oxford.
As long as you have good GCSE grades in maths and english and you don't study them at level, it doesnt really matter that much. You can also choose whether you want to include some of your GCSEs in your UCAS application too. Just make sure your personal statement is quality and you'll be fine
Reply 4
Original post by AllenWhen
i have achieved grades 8766666654 in GCSE however my predicted A Levels are A*A*A i really want to study at a very academic RG uni but ive been so stressed about my gcse results and how much they will impact whether i get into a RG i want to go to. should i retake my gcses as i really want to go to a rg university?

rg - russel group

How do u have such how predicted grades?
Reply 5
Original post by alanb21
I got into Queen Mary, RHUL, and City for CS with 6655 in GCSE and 3A* predicted. I got rejected from KCL and UCL due to 'high competition'. You will be taking the gcse exams at probably the same time as your A Levels which I'm sure no one would recommend. Focus on your A Levels and extra / ultra curriculars to make you stand out. You can always go to a higher university for masters if you get a 2:1 / 1st in undergrad if you don't get into the one you want to or take a gap year if you want to risk it.

What was ur personal statement like if you do mind me asking. Do u feel like that was why u got rejected?
Reply 6
You are absolutely fine with those A Levels. Unless you want to go to Oxbridge or study medicine, GCSEs are often irrelevant even when applying to a RG uni, especially if you have two A*A*A at A Level.

I mostly got C's and B's at GCSE, achieved A*AA at A Level (plus A for my EPQ) and recieved offers from all the Unis I applied to (Kings, Birmingham, QMUL, Manchester and Exeter).
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Carrotsroom
As long as you have good GCSE grades in maths and english and you don't study them at level, it doesnt really matter that much. You can also choose whether you want to include some of your GCSEs in your UCAS application too. Just make sure your personal statement is quality and you'll be fine

No, you have to include all your GCSE qualifications in your UCAS application. You don't get to pick and choose.
Reply 8
Original post by Rainyzack
What was ur personal statement like if you do mind me asking. Do u feel like that was why u got rejected?

No I don't think it's the reason I got rejected. I included ultra curricular stuff like watching CS content, analysing it with my thoughts and different news and some of my projects and why should be doing the degree. I also got a D and E grade in my last A Levels, added onto my 6655 GCSEs probably didn't make me stand out against the crowd with all 9 GCSE grades.
Reply 9
Original post by AllenWhen

rg - russel group

Heya!
Only Oxford will want all 8s, many other top unis just want a 5 or a 6 in GCSE maths and english so you should be fine, especially with those high predictions :h: Just double check entry requirements!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by alanb21
No, you have to include all your GCSE qualifications in your UCAS application. You don't get to pick and choose.

not sure if its different for your school but for my UCAS application this year, my tutors and careers teachers informed us that you don't need to include GCSE's that you don't want to include. Ofc they'll recommend adding most of them but if they're notoriously low grades that arent worth adding, then you don't need to (ie 2s and 3s)
Original post by Alexty28
You are absolutely fine with those A Levels. Unless you want to go to Oxbridge or study medicine, GCSEs are often irrelevant even when applying to a RG uni, especially if you have two A*A*A at A Level.

I mostly got C's and B's at GCSE, achieved A*AA at A Level (plus A for my EPQ) and recieved offers from all the Unis I applied to (Kings, Birmingham, QMUL, Manchester and Exeter).

not even medicine needs high gcse, I got 8777666655 but predicted 3x A* and have a place for medicine in September! unis like newcastle don't even look at gcse for medicine anymore!!
Reply 12
Original post by Rainyzack
How do u have such how predicted grades?

sorry for the really late reply, I worked extremely hard and I revised quite a lot and I made a schedule to revise. For maths I did past paper and textbook questions for Economics I make notes and do past papers and for chemistry I use past paper and note taking.

Quick Reply

Latest