The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emiluu
I agree what what else you have said however I actually think force is quite relevant. Rape is when somebody is forced emotionally (through threat or manipulation), or physically to participate in sex.

Somebody could be/feel forced into verbally consenting or the rapist could have actually believed the person wanted to participate in the act (if the person was drunk for example they could be more easily emotionally/physically forced into it, possibly unintentionally giving indications of consent) and in some cases, somebody under the influence of alcohol/drugs could give genuine consent, wanting to participate in the act, though imo to engage in sexual activity in such a case could be very comparable to rape if the other person was relatively sober and could see the person was heavily intoxicated.

Although I’d assume the validity of consent given by someone who is intoxicated and whether or not they were forced into it is rather controversial (if their drink was spiked so the person didn’t intentionally get in this state, whether or not by the person engaging in sexual activity with them and if this person could tell they were intoxicated, I’d certainly argue they were forced and so this would be rape).

This was the exact point that i was trying to get across. Not wanting to do something is very different than not consenting to do something.

E.g you could tell your partner that you would never have anal sex. Then get drunk and say "why not" and consent to anal sex. Thus imo this would not be rape.

This is why I said that the OP's post couldn't be concluded as rape like many of earlier posters suggested.

To the OP, truth be told some rape cases are extremely complicated. This question would be better answered by seeking help from the police, a solicitor who specializes in this field or another professional :smile:
From that short description, that probably counts as rape, yes.
Consent is the key thing. It doesn't have to be explicit but if it's not then it needs to be reasonable for the guy doing it to be really confident that the other person is happy to go with it at that point.
There doesn't have to be force involved and if the guy being penetrated is too out of it to clearly consent, it's definitely rape.
People are often surprised that in a lot of rape cases the victim doesn't really fight if they're scared.

Original post by ساره
If someone said no several times but the other person kept on persisting so in the end they said yes would you not consider it rape?

That could well be rape. It depends a bit on what 'persisting' means. Is it just whiny pleading? Or eg is the guy becoming aggressive or implying that there might be consequences to saying no?
Reply 22
Original post by Reality Check
I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm talking from a legal standpoint. The definition of rape is very specific - it's penile penetration without consent (very broadly). I think what you're saying is very equivalent to this - that 'forcing someone emotionally' is equivalent to there being no consent and, thus, it being rape. The validity of consent thing is very interesting, but perhaps more from an academic legal point of view than from what the OP was intending :smile:

Absolutely. I tend to get away from key point sometimes :biggrin: I just find rape to be a very challenging topic since it can be so easy to pick definitions, and of course, easy to lie about it - for whatever sick reasons people do this - by saying you didn’t give consent when you definitely wanted to participate in the act, which just harms real rape victims, many of whom don’t come forward for fear they won’t be believed (and the ridiculously short sentences (which is far too off-topic)).
Original post by Emiluu
Absolutely. I tend to get away from key point sometimes :biggrin: I just find rape to be a very challenging topic since it can be so easy to pick definitions, and of course, easy to lie about it - for whatever sick reasons people do this - by saying you didn’t give consent when you definitely wanted to participate in the act, which just harms real rape victims, many of whom don’t come forward for fear they won’t be believed (and the ridiculously short sentences (which is far too off-topic)).

Yes, absolutely, I couldn't agree more :smile:. Far too rape victims come forwards as it is and the conviction rate is shocking.
Reply 24
Original post by WaffleApple
E.g you could tell your partner that you would never have anal sex. Then get drunk and say "why not" and consent to anal sex. Thus imo this would not be rape.

This is why I said that the OP's post couldn't be concluded as rape like many of earlier posters suggested.

I agree OPs post couldn’t be indefinitely concluded as rape from the information given (if he did give his partner reason to believe he really wanted to have sex, and chose to have it in order to make his partner happy out of love (as sex-repulsed asexuals do), not because he had been manipulated, then this wouldn’t be rape). However I think if he had gotten incredibly intoxicated then this could arguably be quite forced, especially if his partner knew when he was sober he never would have wanted to engage in the activity. It’s all about context in this case, depending on why he engaged (or didn’t even voluntarily participate - automatically equating to rape) in the activity.
Original post by username3942526
If someone said no several times but the other person kept on persisting so in the end they said yes would you not consider it rape?

No thats not rape if they said yes and then he slides in as long as you dont start saying stop and get off me me its fair. U can say no all day but if i let him lay me down n say yes then i lead it on cause u could of got up and left right. rape such a very big word be careful when u say it cause u cant take it back and that ****s up that persons whole life
Reply 26
Yes, that is rape. The other guy should've respected that the guy never wanted to be bummed.
Reply 27
Original post by WaffleApple
Hahaha its finally clicked. CT - Child Protection Services...

Reporting my posts to CT was a huge waste of time RC :smile: Considering A: I'm an infertile guy who has no kids and B: Because none of my posts have ever broken any laws in the United Kingdom nor have they suggested any interest in anyone underage, actually the opposite :smile:

What a waste of tax payers money hahaha :biggrin:

by CT he meant Community Team aka moderators (i'm late replying here, but better late than never)
That’s rape

Latest

Trending

Trending