The Student Room Group

Purdue President refers to Black Scholars as ‘Creatures’

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sir Cumference
This is not racist! "Rare creature" is a common phrase used to describe something uncommon.

What is clear from other threads is that the OP is racist and I don't know how they haven't been banned yet.

You are joking of course aren't you? The OP just has a different point of view to you. Why does that mean he should be banned anymore than you should be? Give us an example of how it is "clear from other threads is that the OP is racist". Are you saying that people should be banned for saying that someone is racist? If so, then why shouldn't you be banned as well?
Reply 21
Original post by mgi
You are joking of course aren't you? The OP just has a different point of view to you. Why does that mean he should be banned anymore than you should be? Give us an example of how it is "clear from other threads is that the OP is racist". Are you saying that people should be banned for saying that someone is racist? If so, then why shouldn't you be banned as well?

On three occasions I have reported their thread content/titles for being racist and the moderators have agreed and made edits. For example, the title of this thread used to say before it was edited by the mods, "Black Alabama Sheriff Killed By White Teen" even though there was no evidence that race was the motive of the crime. I hope you agree that this is racist just like it would be racist to make a thread saying, "White Alabama Sheriff Killed By Black Teen".

To be clear, I'm not saying there's any evidence of racism from them in this thread.
I meant the context of his speech, not the context of US race politics. Let's say I was talking to a friend at work and I said this,

"Do you notice how CEOs are always white males? We really need more diversity at the top. Yesterday I saw that rarest of creatures, a black man in a top level management position."

Would I be racist if I said this?

To begin with, that is not the context he said that in - he was specifically addressing a room full of people applying for the scholarship. If you addressed a room full of black business graduates and said then yes, it would be racist, and you would be contributing to the systemic barriers which discourage and prevent black people from going on to that role (or in the case of Purdue, from applying to that college/scholarship).

Even in your context (which as above, is a context which completely straw-mans the original issue by the change of context) it would be at best extremely ignorant and in poor taste to use a) that phrasing and b) to focus rather on the fact that white men are over-represented and afforded far more opportunities, than to shift it onto the fact that not enough black people move into top level management positions - which implicitly places the hypothetical black people who aren't in top level management positions into a place where the other person will be asking "well why aren't they getting themselves into those positions" rather than "why and how are they being prevented by white men from moving into those positions".

The fundamental way you've approached the issue is in of itself indicative of the structural violence present that black people face everyday, where they are implicitly victimised by the way people speak about them even in hypothetical scenarios (not to mention the very act of disregarding the experiences that black people face every day to consider an abstract hypothetical scenario instead discredits these experiences). It is not enough to merely comment on issues of racism and black peoples experiences (of racism or otherwise) while assuming your own perspective - it is necessary to critically examine how your perspective is the product of those racialized power structures that contribute to the issues you are commenting on. That is a continual process that requires continued self reflection and deprogramming of the structural violence embedded in how our society teaches and raises us.
Original post by Good bloke
I have no such agenda. I have read the article and his words were:

I’ll be recruiting one of the rarest creatures in America a leading, I mean a really leading, African-American scholar

He is saying that leading black scholars are extremely rare, and that he will be recruiting one. He is not saying they are deservedly rare. He is not saying they do not have the ability. He is simply reflecting reality. They are rare.

Of course, if there is no room in your bubble for knowledge of reality then so be it.

Artful accusing someone else of having an agenda is somewhat laughable.
Thank goodness we are not in the USA if black people there pursue a corrosive vendetta against white people based on perfectly ordinary and innocent word usage, all the while using language that they seek to ban whites from using at all. It is barmy. Let us hope it does not travel the Atlantic to any significance.

I think it already has - I spend too much time thinking 'are we allowed to say that' now.

As for Identity Penguin's OP:

storm-in-a-teacup-allan-swart.jpg
On three occasions I have reported their thread content/titles for being racist and the moderators have agreed and made edits. For example, the title of this thread used to say before it was edited by the mods, "Black Alabama Sheriff Killed By White Teen" even though there was no evidence that race was the motive of the crime. I hope you agree that this is racist just like it would be racist to make a thread saying, "White Alabama Sheriff Killed By Black Teen".

To be clear, I'm not saying there's any evidence of racism from them in this thread.

The OP has a lot of issues and is clearly racist. All they do is post inflammatory threads about race and they should have been banned a long time ago.
Original post by YaliaV
The OP has a lot of issues and is clearly racist. All they do is post inflammatory threads about race and they should have been banned a long time ago.

He makes clickbait though - and clickbait drives TSR these days. You'll probably find some of his content in the widget soon.
Original post by Reality Check
I spend too much time thinking 'are we allowed to say that' now.

I spend no time worrying about whether something can be said. I take the view that I am reasonable and say reasonable things in a reasonable (though blunt) way. Anyone taking offence is, therefore, doing so solely to make trouble.
Reply 28
Original post by artful_lounger
To begin with, that is not the context he said that in - he was specifically addressing a room full of people applying for the scholarship. If you addressed a room full of black business graduates and said then yes, it would be racist, and you would be contributing to the systemic barriers which discourage and prevent black people from going on to that role (or in the case of Purdue, from applying to that college/scholarship).

So if my point was to say that there aren't enough black scholars then I am a racist? Please explain with reference to the definition why this is racism. I don't have the full transcript and I'm guessing you don't either. The quote alone is not racist in my opinion without context and calling someone racist is a serious allegation so to do it without the full context is just wrong.

Even in your context (which as above, is a context which completely straw-mans the original issue by the change of context) it would be at best extremely ignorant and in poor taste to use a) that phrasing and b) to focus rather on the fact that white men are over-represented and afforded far more opportunities, than to shift it onto the fact that not enough black people move into top level management positions - which implicitly places the hypothetical black people who aren't in top level management positions into a place where the other person will be asking "well why aren't they getting themselves into those positions" rather than "why and how are they being prevented by white men from moving into those positions".

This is just waffle. Clearly the comment wouldn't be racist. Also, poor taste (which it isn't) is not the same as racism.

I experience racism against myself all the time and what makes things worse are those who attribute the most minor comment to racism. What it does is fuel the genuine racists and make them believe that ant-racism campaigners just complain for the sake of it. For example, those who say that anti-Israel comments are antisemitic fuels antisemitism. There are enough actual racists in the world to focus our attention and this thread was completely unnecessary.
I spend no time worrying about whether something can be said. I take the view that I am reasonable and say reasonable things in a reasonable (though blunt) way. Anyone taking offence is, therefore, doing so solely to make trouble.

Although I agree with the sentiments and fairness of this 100%, in practical terms this approach hasn't worked for me. I am a Dutch uncle (as you've probably realised) but sometimes it's easier to play along with those who take offence at the slightest thing. I find nowadays that I can't be doing with the aggro.
I experience racism against myself all the time and what makes things worse are those who attribute the most minor comment to racism.

So I'm the bad person who automatically assumed you were White British.

Why did I do that?
Reply 31
So I'm the bad person who automatically assumed you were White British.

Why did I do that?

Because you are a dirty racist. You need to go to racism school.
Because you are a dirty racist. You need to go to racism school

:getmecoat:
Because you are a dirty racist. You need to go to racism school.

Is that where you learn to be more racist?
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Is that where you learn to be more racist?

That's Oxford, isn't it?
Reply 35
:getmecoat:

I am actually White British so it turns out you are not a racist. Congratulations :smile:
I am actually White British so it turns out you are not a racist. Congratulations :smile:

So why did you write that 'I experience racism against myself all the time'? Do you live in a black commune?
That's Oxford, isn't it?

Oxford is child's play, Royal Ag is the place.
Reply 38
So why did you write that 'I experience racism against myself all the time'? Do you live in a black commune?

I wish. No, I'm Jewish and I receive abuse on other social media (and IRL) when I attack antisemitism and other forms of racism.
I wish. No, I'm Jewish and I receive abuse on other social media (and IRL) when I attack antisemitism and other forms of racism.

Aah, I see. What is it with all the antisemitism these days. I thought we'd left that behind years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending