The Student Room Group

Rude puppy breeder

Hi I’m new here
This is completely off topic, but I’m getting a puppy soon (this weekend). Like I’ve literally paid a deposit for her. I went to see her at the weekend.

I’ve struggled with the loss of my cat and my current dog is also struggling and has anxiety issues since my cat died as they were pretty close. I decided to get another dog as not only would it benefit me ( I struggle with anxiety related issues) it would benefit my dog.

So I look around to find the perfect puppy. I am all for getting a dog from a shelter don’t get me wrong, but I liked the idea of raising a puppy with my dog. So I look for good breeders right?

I find the perfect litter of puppies. I tell the breeder I’m interested and so I go make the 1 hour journey to see her. She was the last puppy of the litter and was the runt. I fall in love with her as so does my parents and I decide to pay the deposit. (I’ve worked so hard to pay for a puppy and wanted to be as financially stable to take care of a puppy)

So I start buying all the items that a puppy needs. I’ve already got her a bed, blanket, lead, collar, toys, shampoo etc. I’m looking forward to looking after two dogs.

The breeder randomly rings me at around 6pm and says what time would I be able to pick her up at the weekend? I said I would have to check and get back to them. Then the breeder goes onto say “Are you really sure you want her?” “You didn’t seem so sure to me you wanted her when you came to visit” and then also goes onto say “There’s a lot of people interested in her” ?!? I am pretty sure if I’ve paid a deposit I want her? If I didn’t I’m pretty sure I would of walked away without paying a penny. Now I’m just really upset as I hope I did not come across as not seeming to want her. I’m very shy with new people so sometimes it does come across that I’m nervy and not so sure. I’m just an anxious person in general especially in social situations.

But I’d love to know what you guys think about this? Was the breeder right to ask me loads of times if I still wanted her and others were interested despite me paying a deposit?

I don’t know if I’m overthinking, but I found the conversation judgemental, uncomfortable and rude. It was like the breeder was trying to get me to give up my deposit so someone else could have her.

I’d love to know you guys thoughts on this.
I think you’re over thinking a bit.
She hasn’t really done anything wrong. She’s just checking you really want the pup. And as a responsible breeder that’s a good thing.
Maybe you being shy has made you come across as unsure.
If I were you I’d pluck up some courage, contact her and make some firm arrangements to get your new friend.
If you really struggle to assert yourself then you should get a parent to do it. But do it soon
Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Sammylou40
I think you’re over thinking a bit.
She hasn’t really done anything wrong. She’s just checking you really want the pup. And as a responsible breeder that’s a good thing.
Maybe you being shy has made you come across as unsure.
If I were you I’d pluck up some courage, contact her and make some firm arrangements to get your new friend.
If you really struggle to assert yourself then you should get a parent to do it. But do it soon
Good luck

Yeah I do struggle in certain situations, I’m ringing the breeder tomorrow morning to make arrangements to pick her up. Thanks for the advice
Original post by JS12350
Yeah I do struggle in certain situations, I’m ringing the breeder tomorrow morning to make arrangements to pick her up. Thanks for the advice

You’re welcome. Be brave
I hope you enjoy your new friend
It's a reasonable question from the breeder, it shows they care that the dog goes to a good long term home I suppose.

There's no reason not to reply with confidence "Yes i'm sure I want the puppy" If you think other people may be pressuring about it, ask outright. If other people also want one, and are told that one is 'reserved/deposit taken' they'll potentially lean on the seller to close the deal one way or another.."well are they taking it or not, can you check with them? I could take it now?" ect ect
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
It's a reasonable question from the breeder, it shows they care that the dog goes to a good long term home I suppose.

There's no reason not to reply with confidence "Yes i'm sure I want the puppy" If you think other people may be pressuring about it, ask outright. If other people also want one, and are told that one is 'reserved/deposit taken' they'll potentially lean on the seller to close the deal one way or another.."well are they taking it or not, can you check with them? I could take it now?" ect ect

Ah I didn’t think of it like that with people that may be interested. Luckily she’s not even ready to leave her mum until the end of the week.

Quick Reply

Latest