The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by macrophage
Thanks guys for your reassurance about zero gravity, I had my session and it was honestly amazing! Nothing to worry about at all :tongue:

Fantastic to hear! Let us know how you get on.

Original post by Caius Schools
Hi everyone,

We've just started a new YouTube channel for outreach at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge. I can't post a link due to the mods on here, but you can check out our latest video on 'Developing an interest in your subject' if you add watch?v=j6yuBP0KfZ4 to the usual youtube dot com URL. Please do like and subscribe if you're interested, and feel free to leave feedback and suggestions for further content in the comments. We've got lots of exciting videos planned...

You might recognise Dr Chris Scott from the introduction video on our channel if you've been on this thread for a while - he has now moved from Clare and is the new Tutor for Admissions and Outreach at Caius. The Clare Schools YouTube channel is still going too, although unfortunately the mods on TSR deleted the old Clare Schools TSR account - which is why we went quiet on here!

Hope you're all doing well.

Oh I wondered, actually. Dr Scott's advice is always top notch.
Original post by Theloniouss
Out of boredom I've done a little bit of number crunching. Assuming I've got my maths right (a pretty big assumption lol), here are some statistics:

Mean number of A levels: 4.006
percent doing 3 A levels: 15.97
percent doing 4 A levels: 63.31
percent doing 5 A levels: 17.93

Mean number of A levels: 4.078
percent doing 3 A levels: 17.57
percent doing 4 A levels: 57.36
percent doing 5 A levels: 18.86

Mean number of A levels: 4.048
percent doing 3 A levels: 17.51
percent doing 4 A levels: 59.68
percent doing 5 A levels: 18.04

Mean number of A levels: 3.927
percent doing 3 A levels: 24.81
percent doing 4 A levels: 58.15
percent doing 5 A levels: 13.28

Mean number of A levels: 3.895
percent doing 3 A levels: 24.52
percent doing 4 A levels: 59.05
percent doing 5 A levels: 12.38

Mean number of A levels: 3.822
percent doing 3 A levels: 28.17
percent doing 4 A levels: 57.61
percent doing 5 A levels: 10.41

Mean number of A levels: 3.744
percent doing 3 A levels: 30.77
percent doing 4 A levels: 52.31
percent doing 5 A levels: 9.74

Mean number of A levels: 3.771
percent doing 3 A levels: 33.17
percent doing 4 A levels: 53.12
percent doing 5 A levels: 6.73

Mean number of A levels: 3.65
percent doing 3 A levels: 29.28
percent doing 4 A levels: 60.3
percent doing 5 A levels: 4.22

So this is what you have been doing instead of your very short GYG, wow.
Original post by Oxford Mum
So this is what you have been doing instead of your very short GYG, wow.

:lol:

I've suddenly found myself with nothing to do, what do you expect? :tongue:
So who else here is a post-qualification applicant/re-applicant?
Original post by JockstrapAttack

:hi:
Not an applicant though because I already have a place.
:hi:
Not an applicant though because I already have a place.

Did everything work out in the end? I seem to remember you being disappointed with the outcome of the summer pool.
Did everything work out in the end? I seem to remember you being disappointed with the outcome of the summer pool.

Yeah, 10 days later (after they had our CAGs) I've been given a deferred place for 2021 entry.

What's up! (Although I might not be brave enough to give it a shot but we'll see :afraid:)
Yeah, 10 days later (after they had our CAGs) I've been given a deferred place for 2021 entry.

Hey, congratulations! That must have been a pretty stressful 10 days, glad you've got a place!
Original post by aconstanthamlet
What's up! (Although I might not be brave enough to give it a shot but we'll see :afraid:)

What are you applying/reapplying for?
What are you applying/reapplying for?

I'd be applying first time for History and Modern Languages. What about you?
Original post by aconstanthamlet
I'd be applying first time for History and Modern Languages. What about you?

History and Politics. Just PMed you.
It's impossible to say how it'll impact your chances without knowing what your chances are. Someone in my FM class got in this year (for maths) with only 3 subjects, and given the standard offer is A*A*A, it's clearly not impossible.

I've found an FOI that might give a better (and numeric) answer your question, but even then it'll depend on the type of school you go to etc.

Here's the FOI: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mathematics_offer_holders_outcom#incoming-1545212

There's no analysis, but just scrolling through it looks like the majority of offer holders did 4 A levels.

That might change since many state schools have recently stopped allowing people to do 4 A-levels. In my son's 6th form college they moved from a standard of doing four A-levels to doing only three (the kids who did A-level this year being the first). They did get two people getting offers from Cambridge maths with only 3 A-levels, which was consistent with previous years when they did 4.

However doing four and dropping one is different to not being allowed to do four of course.
Original post by JHK101
That might change since many state schools have recently stopped allowing people to do 4 A-levels. In my son's 6th form college they moved from a standard of doing four A-levels to doing only three (the kids who did A-level this year being the first). They did get two people getting offers from Cambridge maths with only 3 A-levels, which was consistent with previous years when they did 4.

However doing four and dropping one is different to not being allowed to do four of course.

Yeah, it looks to be decreasing.
Original post by v_bilous7
Applying to law too!!
Congrats on EPQ, must’ve been super chuffed with that :smile:))
I really recommend Christ’s obvs hehe but just look at which one suits you most in terms of location, size, reputation perhaps, financial endowments, facilities.

yay law buds!!
Aww thanks! yeah I was super happy especially as the majority of my school was downgraded- I feel really grateful
Ahhh I was looking at Christs also St Catherines and a couple others but I want a college with a good private- state ratio and also with a good percentage of BAME people
Original post by __DC
GCSE Grades: All 9s
AS Grades: A in maths, A in further maths
Target course: Cambridge Mathematics
My question:

I am doing A Level maths, further maths, physics and computer science.
I am not passionate about my physics course, have lost all interest in it, and it's the subject I'm most likely not to get the A* in.

I want to drop it and go down to 3 A Levels.

I am only keeping it to increase my chances of a successful application to maths at Cambridge.

To what extent will dropping it harm my chances?

On the maths open day they said 'if you can do 4 and you werent, we would wonder why not'.

It's impossible to say how it'll impact your chances without knowing what your chances are. Someone in my FM class got in this year (for maths) with only 3 subjects, and given the standard offer is A*A*A, it's clearly not impossible.

I've found an FOI that might give a better (and numeric) answer your question, but even then it'll depend on the type of school you go to etc.

Here's the FOI: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mathematics_offer_holders_outcom#incoming-1545212

There's no analysis, but just scrolling through it looks like the majority of offer holders did 4 A levels.

Back in the days of modular A-levels my son did 4 ASs dropping Art and taking Maths, FM and Physics to full A-level.
He got his Engineering offer, and this year he graduated.

Yes the majority will have 4, but increasingly applicants, and offer holders, have "only" 3 A-levels.

It's not a huge problem.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Here is the Cambridge Demystified chapter about the different colleges. There are videos and websites for each, as well as the criteria some would use. However as the admissions tutor for Clare College says in the video, it's more a sense of a gut feeling than anything. You may be pooled and get into a different college entirely, but Cambridge is Cambridge!

Or you may choose to make an open application.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88684784&highlight=Cambridge%20Demystifie

Ahh brilliant!! Thanks for the advice!
"In order to minimise COVID-related risks to our applicants, students and staff in the coming undergraduate admissions round, we are making plans to interview applicants this year without requiring them to travel to Cambridge in December. We will release further details about alternative arrangements as soon as we can."

So when is Cambridge actually going to publish these very important details?
does the view on resits with extenuating circumstances differ by different colleges?

i've exceeded the typical requirement in 2020, retaking after 2019 with acceptable extenuating circumstances.

some colleges don't have info on extenuating circumstances on their website and my teacher told me not all colleges accept them?

thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending