The Student Room Group

Is my supervisor aloowed to do this?

So I have just got my supervisor for my dissertation and she gave me the question rather then me choosing it. But the problem is the question she gave me is the exact same question she supervised a phd in, can she do that?
Best to ask someone as your university. But this does give you an advantage as you have someone who has knowledge in that area to guide you and give you their expertise.

Maybe ask why she recommended that question and get her insight
Original post by Anonymous
So I have just got my supervisor for my dissertation and she gave me the question rather then me choosing it. But the problem is the question she gave me is the exact same question she supervised a phd in, can she do that?

If she is supervising a PhD in the area then (1) she cares about it (2) has expertise in it (3) thinks there is more than enough new stuff there to make a good thesis for an MSc / BSc student and (4) probably has lots of resources ready to go . Its pretty common to have several students working in similar areas in a research group, and to set more junior students a cut down version of a key question. You wont have the 3.5 years of a PHD to spend on it, but a good BSc / Masters can still add value to a larger project and you get to benefit from chats over coffee with the more senior guys and maybe sitting in on seminars, research group meetings.
Reply 3
in a word, yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending