The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guess I'm partially posting to suscribe.. and reading the posts to see how so many of you cope with LDR's I've done one before (lasted 10months) and this one despite us only being 2months in.. its a better relationship...

I hate that I'm leaving him so far away :frown:
WelshBluebird
I posted on here a few times about my ex (at the time it looked like it may turn into an LDR, but she dumped me. yay).

Anyway, I've got involved with a different girl, and it will be an LDR this time. She lives in north Devon, so its going to be long distance when I'm at uni and when I'm at home. Hoping to go to see her in 2 weeks :smile:. Its not going to be easy though cos she works on a saturday night.

Ah well, she's worth it :yep:

Good luck :smile:
Hey guys! (esp hannahdaisy and New...Romantic)

Im going to see him in the 2nd week of November:smile: :smile: :smile:
I cannot wait! It seems so much better than "I'm going to see him in December"
I sat down last night and looked at my timetable and stuff and I'm free that weekend (if I take my work with me but that's okay)
My timetable is so hectic at the moment so November it is and I'm so excited. It will be october soon the NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woo:

Just a heads up to the guys that helped me with the tickets issue

and good luck WelshBlueBird and everyone else!
greenjellybean

I sat down last night and looked at my timetable and stuff and I'm free that weekend (if I take my work with me but that's okay)
My timetable is so hectic at the moment so November it is and I'm so excited. It will be october soon the NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woo:

That's good news :smile: At least now it's weeks instead of months, that's a lot easier to deal with. Once you get settled into uni and everything the time'll pass quickly. Did you manage to get the tickets for a decent price?
New...Romantic
That's good news :smile: At least now it's weeks instead of months, that's a lot easier to deal with. Once you get settled into uni and everything the time'll pass quickly. Did you manage to get the tickets for a decent price?

Yeah I'm psyched!!!!

I got the tickets for less than a tenner!
Norwich to Peterborough - £3.95
Peterborough to Norwich - £4.30 :woo:

Thats on a 16-25 Railcard!!
greenjellybean
Yeah I'm psyched!!!!

I got the tickets for less than a tenner!
Norwich to Peterborough - £3.95
Peterborough to Norwich - £4.30 :woo:

Thats on a 16-25 Railcard!!

That is fantastic! Well done :biggrin:
lucyhol1012
That is fantastic! Well done :biggrin:

Thankies! I feel pretty proud of myself but I couldn't have done it without you guys!!
I'm in an LDR. It's mostly emails, chats and skyping weekly. We both went travelling last week (separately) and there was no contact. He was in the open seas, I was on an island. During the week, I thought about him a lot and had a lot to tell him; yet now that I'm back, i haven't really wanted to talk to him. And I can't explain why. He sent me a couple of emails upon returning home with photos of his trip sharing with me the experience. We've chatted briefly online over the past couple of days since being back but somehow it doesn't feel the same. I'm now exceptionally busy trying to catch up with work and prepare for exams, while he finishes his thesis so we both have quite a bit on our plates. I don't know what I'm asking here, just if anyone has felt like this before? I'm hoping that this is just us trying to get back into our LD-routine after an entire week apart, but my concern is that if this feeling sticks (and while it does), he might think I'm pushing him away. Ugh. What's wrong with me?
greenjellybean

That's great, so much better than waiting months to see him. Once you're all settled into uni you can sort out more time for visits, and now you've found some cheap tickets he'll be able to do the same too and come and see you.

Mad how without splitting the ticket it was £35 but you've now got it down to under a tenner. Make sure you keep that in mind with all other rail journeys you do too!
Well!

It's been, uh, pretty much exactly a year since I last posted here. And I'm back- funny how these things work out- albeit with a different, far nicer, man. Hideously nice. Relentlessly nice. Nice to the point where I can't actually get him alone due to him feeling the need to be polite to everyone, and a certain housemate of mine who doesn't seem to understand that sometimes two people just want to sneak off and cuddle. (Literally, cuddle).

Mostly I'm just not sure how these things actually work. We're not even officially together. Although he has told my best friend we're officially going out, so I should probably ask him about that. It's just been a very long time since I spent time with someone and it's weird. Especially since he's always travelling the country- he technically lives about an hour and a half away, but his job means he's never in the same place for more than a couple of weeks. Which is definitely going to be difficult. Plus he's gone through some really rough times recently. Really rough. And sometimes (often!) doesn't reply to texts or anything like that. Hence the posting here, I guess? Really I'm just terrified by the whole concept of a long distance relationship- I'm not sure whether I'm more scared by the effort involved or the emotions involved... xD

Sorry, this is really confused! I'm still in the 'la la la la girly' stage of this whole thing.
hannahdaisy
That's great, so much better than waiting months to see him. Once you're all settled into uni you can sort out more time for visits, and now you've found some cheap tickets he'll be able to do the same too and come and see you.

Mad how without splitting the ticket it was £35 but you've now got it down to under a tenner. Make sure you keep that in mind with all other rail journeys you do too!

Yep I'm going to do everything you've said!

You've been a massive help so thanks again!:o:
Slender Loris
My boyfriend has decided to "surprise" me by coming up to visit me, even though I'd asked him not to until next weekend because I want to get settled in at uni. I mean, it's sweet that he spontaneously wanted to surprise me, and it will be great to see him, but however much I miss him I still felt it was best to have a couple of weeks to myself. Now I have to change my plans, get more food in, tidy up... and the cost to him of buying tickets last minute is too much. When he told me yesterday that he'd bought coach tickets I don't think my reaction was quite what he was expecting... I was quite cross and honest about why and I think it upset him :frown: I should have just shut up. Would anyone else be pissed off if this happened (given that we are seeing each other next weekend too - it's not like we would otherwise have to wait three months), or is it just me being a whiny bitch?

Oh wow, this completely echoes an argument I had with my boyfriend last night over this! I don't think you're being a whiny bitch. I had decided that I was going to be strong this year and try to adapt to life properly without him, as it gets me down a lot when he's not around. I decided I'd have a couple of weeks to myself to re-settle into uni life (we're both 2nd years at separate unis, and have been together our whole times at uni). Then he booked a coach to see me this weekend... If you're being a whiny bitch, we can be whiny bitches together! :p:
My boyfriend is in Uni 2 hours away from me. I know this may not seem like alot compared to some LDR's but its just so strange and upsetting to get used to.
Were used to seeing eachother literally every day for the past few years and now its weeks at a time that i dont get to see him and its just so strange!
Im not worried about our relationship as i know he loves me but im just scared things will change, our relationship was so simple and comfortable before and im afraid that now hes at uni, our relationship will take a backseat.
Hes enjoying himself and im happy for him, but just a bit scared he might forget about me :frown:
I dont know, im probably being paranoid :/
Aw if you have been together a few years there is no way he could forget about you, don't worry! It's good for you both to be having a good time apart as well as together.

I've got 2 and a half weeks left before I see my boyfriend, so that shouldn't be too bad, but after that I have 5 weeks to wait :frown:
My boyfriend and I have been together for about a year and a half, and for most of that time, he has been away at uni - thankfully, it was only 45 minutes away (i love fast commuter trains) so by alternating who visited, we ended up being able to see each other at least every weekend.

Now, its my turn to go to uni too - and we'll now be a 2 1/2 hour drive/train journey apart. That's still not too bad, but I have some questions:

- we've already decided i'm to go it alone the first two weeks, and that, at least for the first term, i can't be visiting him (i'm going to Cambridge, so the work will be insane). He goes to a creative arts uni where there's a bit less work, and he's adamant that he'll visit as much as I want him to.

So - how much should he visit? Would every couple of weeks be too much? I know i shouldn't care about what people think, but would it seem odd that he's around that much?

He's egyptian, and his traditional family expect him to go home at least once a week, which is hard on him - I don't want to burden him further, and I want both of us to be able to get work done.

So, any suggestions or advice? Anyone else in a situation of a LDR that is far, but not too far - what systme have you got?

He's my best friend and I love him dearly - because last year was a kind of "practice", we've already got the phone calls, skyping, letter writing set up :smile:
woodstock

So, any suggestions or advice? Anyone else in a situation of a LDR that is far, but not too far - what systme have you got?

He's my best friend and I love him dearly - because last year was a kind of "practice", we've already got the phone calls, skyping, letter writing set up :smile:

Well I go to uni and my bf doesn't, he lives and works up near Darlington and I go to uni in Bristol (5hr train journey) and live in London when I go back home, so still far away. We txt eachother every morning and night and throughout the day and ring every few days. We aim to see eachother every other weekend coz of the time he gets off work and the cost of train tickets etc. I don't think every 2 weeks would be too much at all, it feels like ages when we're apart!
woodstock

Just mimicking what Hannah said really:

For the last two years my boyfriend and I have been at uni, him at Cambridge, me at Aberdeen. We managed to see each other every fortnight, alternating who travelled. We both did/are doing (my course isn't finished yet!) academic courses that require a big time commitment, although remember that at uni, quite a lot of the work (especially in essay-based subjects) is done in your own time, whenever you can fit it in. My boyfriend and I were both perfectly happy to take a laptop and work on the train (10 hour journey means you can get a lot done!) and/or both work when we were together. For my degree work, the main resources I use are online journals (which obviously aren't heavy to carry around!) but my boyfriend did philosophy and ended up carting some lovely tomes up to Aberdeen and back! (or having me get them out of Aberdeen's library for him). Anyway, it worked, and we're still together now :biggrin:

Also, I think giving you a fortnight to settle in is at excellent idea :smile:
I think I must be the only person, but I can't wait until my boyfriend goes back to uni properly. I'm having such a hard time trusting him these days, every time he says anything nice to me, or tells me he loves me I just feel sick, because I'm pretty sure there's something going on behind my back.

I just don't want to confront him about it in case I'm wrong. I don't know what to do.
My fiance is coming to see me on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!
He's Coming To See Me Next Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woo: :woo: :woo:

Haha! He said he cannot possibly wait till November to see me and he's saved up quite a lot from me being here (cheeky sod!)
So he can come! And I've taught him how to get the tickets cheaply!

I am so happy now!:o:

Latest

Trending

Trending