The Student Room Group

UoL or LJMU

I am wanting to study psychology and I have narrowed down my uni choices to two options (university of Liverpool and Liverpool John Moores university) but I can’t pick between them. UoL I know is a lot more prestigious and all that but I can’t say that’s something that matters to me; I was wondering if anyone could help me pick between the two unis based on the course content, what the lectures are like, how much support you get, what the workload is like etc (I’m not assed about social life and accommodation and all that so I don’t care about the differences there). I cant say I’m an extremely academic and motivated person who never procrastinates their work so I’m not too sure whether that should play a part in me deciding (I’ve somehow got it in my head that not being as academic means I should go with LJMU but I can’t say I have the knowledge to determine whether this is a stupid belief or not). Anyone study psych at either of these unis? What do you think about it?
Reply 1
My mate teaches it at UoL and it seems relatively demanding.
Reply 2
Ljmu ftw!
Its a brilliant uni. Know a few people studying/have studied that and theyve loved it too
Original post by Breeee
Ljmu ftw!
Its a brilliant uni. Know a few people studying/have studied that and theyve loved it too

Yeah I know someone who studies psych there and they love it. Never met anyone who goes to UoL though 😬😬
Original post by gjd800
My mate teaches it at UoL and it seems relatively demanding.

If I struggle with keeping on top of work a lot of the time (I eventually get it all done but not as efficiently as I’d like) do you reckon it would be a bad idea to firm UoL?
Reply 5
Original post by olivia.francesca
If I struggle with keeping on top of work a lot of the time (I eventually get it all done but not as efficiently as I’d like) do you reckon it would be a bad idea to firm UoL?

I dunno, it's a skill you learn and that needs to be done whichever institution you pip for, I think
I studied my MSc Health Psychology at LJMU and now study my PhD/Stage 2 Psychology at UoL. UoL is more demanding and 'boring', the people at LJMU tend to be more fun and the workload less heavy. For psychology though, it doesn't really matter any uni will do. LJMU is a more partying and 'for cool people' uni e.g. sports people so that may be a negative. In honesty, if you got an offer for UoL I'd go there or you may regret it in 10 years time. The workload ain't super heavy, they build you up, like from GCSE to A-level. Starting easy in first year and getting a bit harder each year. I'm not a very academic person and super lazy, but it doesn't mean you can't become a psychologist or anything else :P
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JamesManc
I studied my MSc Health Psychology at LJMU and now study my PhD/Stage 2 Psychology at UoL. UoL is more demanding and 'boring', the people at LJMU tend to be more fun and the workload less heavy. For psychology though, it doesn't really matter any uni will do. LJMU is a more partying and 'for cool people' uni e.g. sports people so that may be a negative. In honesty, if you got an offer for UoL I'd go there or you may regret it in 10 years time. The workload ain't super heavy, they build you up, like from GCSE to A-level. Starting easy in first year and getting a bit harder each year. I'm not a very academic person and super lazy, but it doesn't mean you can't become a psychologist or anything else :P

From your experience do you know what the grad prospects are like from psychology at either uni - i.e. have your friends who've done psych and LJMU been able to get jobs they wanted?

I think this all comes down to what jobs the OP wants to apply for after uni - if your applying for something super competitive especially in psychology after uni like clinical psychology then it would slightly help to go to Liverpool. Remember that Psychology is one of the most popular degrees in the country, with 100,000s of graduates each year so you need some way to stand out (but you can do this in other ways too...).

Quick Reply

Latest