The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Elipsis
Exactly, it's done its job perfectly with you and stopped society losing some very valuable members indeed. I wish there was a way to stop human greed manipulating it, perhaps there should be a time limit for how long you're on it and the money gets gradually reduced, along with the mother/father not being allowed any luxuries at all. i.e. people follow them like in the program and make sure they aren't smoking/drinking. Go to their house make sure the money is being spent on toys, clothes and books and not tvs+playstations. Make sure the childrens diets are good by checking the fridge.

Ironically smoking and drinking is one of those untrue stereotypes about people on benefits, my dads an ex nurse who will not even touch a single drink even at a party, my mum either as she does voluntary work councilling people with addictions

I never have smoked(apart from a few joints when younger) my brother doesnt, everyone in my family have degrees so I also doubt people on benefits are less intelligent, at most less opportunities.

3 of my friends from same family(all brothers) who's mum worked part time but were on housing benefit and such all have degrees, one in computer game design, one in art, one in it(all loved computers and art things)

Compared to my brothers ex who came from a very snooty well off family and never had a proper job in her life (she died at 26) the most she worked was for about 3 hours in Tesco one day and she she was whinging to us afterwards saying they expected her to stack shevles and do heavy lifting.

So its not just background that makes someone want to be on benefits.

Quite a few people who I know on benefits dont drink as they cant afford it, or buy a £2 bottle of wine which lasts about 3 days.

I say its just partly people assuming things and the ones you know are on benefits are the ones who are the bad ones therefore you dont see the good ones.

i.e in the place I was in 5 years ago(left 2 years ago) it was above a bar, and all the other 3 tenants were on benefits(so was I for 2 weeks when living there) and ann spent pretty much all the money on booze

So a random person entering the bar and hearing them talking about how they are skint and benefit spent may assume they are just lazy.

But what you dont know is one of them is an ex coal miner who has a bad cough/chest due to this hence being on benefits. Another is 55 and has a bad heart the third was recently fired from his job after 20 years.

The person only sees 3 people on benefits getting drunk.

I know quite a few people on benefits who are very hard working and in fact because of that feel they have something to prove and try really hard like my parents, or a girl I know who has 3 jobs and is a single mum as she was fed up of being on benefits.

Going back to what I said, its like in the jobcentre, the ones who want to find work are normally not causing a scene, they go in check for jobs sign on and get application forms then fill them in and send them off.

But because they are quiet and dont bother anyone compared to the stereotype chavs who keep getting crisis loans as they are skint due to booze and drugs shout at top of voice so people can hear so they are the ones noticed.
well said drbluebox
Reply 182
drbluebox
Ironically smoking and drinking is one of those untrue stereotypes about people on benefits, my dads an ex nurse who will not even touch a single drink even at a party, my mum either as she does voluntary work councilling people with addictions

I never have smoked(apart from a few joints when younger) my brother doesnt, everyone in my family have degrees so I also doubt people on benefits are less intelligent, at most less opportunities.

3 of my friends from same family(all brothers) who's mum worked part time but were on housing benefit and such all have degrees, one in computer game design, one in art, one in it(all loved computers and art things)

Compared to my brothers ex who came from a very snooty well off family and never had a proper job in her life (she died at 26) the most she worked was for about 3 hours in Tesco one day and she she was whinging to us afterwards saying they expected her to stack shevles and do heavy lifting.

So its not just background that makes someone want to be on benefits.

Quite a few people who I know on benefits dont drink as they cant afford it, or buy a £2 bottle of wine which lasts about 3 days.

I say its just partly people assuming things and the ones you know are on benefits are the ones who are the bad ones therefore you dont see the good ones.

i.e in the place I was in 5 years ago(left 2 years ago) it was above a bar, and all the other 3 tenants were on benefits(so was I for 2 weeks when living there) and ann spent pretty much all the money on booze

So a random person entering the bar and hearing them talking about how they are skint and benefit spent may assume they are just lazy.

But what you dont know is one of them is an ex coal miner who has a bad cough/chest due to this hence being on benefits. Another is 55 and has a bad heart the third was recently fired from his job after 20 years.

The person only sees 3 people on benefits getting drunk.

I know quite a few people on benefits who are very hard working and in fact because of that feel they have something to prove and try really hard like my parents, or a girl I know who has 3 jobs and is a single mum as she was fed up of being on benefits.

Going back to what I said, its like in the jobcentre, the ones who want to find work are normally not causing a scene, they go in check for jobs sign on and get application forms then fill them in and send them off.

But because they are quiet and dont bother anyone compared to the stereotype chavs who keep getting crisis loans as they are skint due to booze and drugs shout at top of voice so people can hear so they are the ones noticed.

That's all well and good and I didn't once advocate taking away such peoples benefits, because these are the people who they are essentially there for. My complaint was the chavs that get pissed all the time and smoke tons of fags who in my personal experience make up the vast majority of people on JSA.
Reply 183
Quady
loans are benifits, its money under its market value
top up fees are nothing compared to the LEA contribution
loans dont have to be paid back - incorrect 'fact'
most students don't earn over the the personal allowance

Whats your stance on students on benifits then? ie 2 years study, year out on incapacity then final year?

GRANTS don't have to be payed back. LOANS do.
My opinion on student benifits are concluded in my last post.
Reply 184
drbluebox
What a stupid and unintelligent post,

MANY people on benefits are more intelligent and harder working than working people and students.

Dont know where you get the idea that most students work since at both unis I have been to and the few colleges most arent bothered and try to get as much money from the system as possible

Case in point my ex flatmate got about £800 a month from parents, then had a £10 a hour job handing out leafelts(wow hard work) and whinged every day how poor she was and she should get more money as she was struggling to survive. She got her petrol paid by work, parents paid her car insurance so where did the £100 odd a month go? booze and meals out mainly.

Another girl in my class got the full loan and grants which came to about £6500 then out of the 12 hours a week she was due in over the year she turned up for about 12 hours in 10 MONTHS she was 18 and started end of September, by start of November she was about £8000 in debt from credit cards and overdrafts then had the cheek to apply for £2000 hardship(which she got) from uni wheras I had no overdrafts and my loan was £2500 a year and I was only awarded £200 since I wasnt in debt.

Most students I know are hugely in debt in first year and loads talk about how they arent going to pay it back and just get taken to court as its wiped in 6 years and by then they will have a good job.

My parents havent worked since my dad became ill 20 years ago but do a huge amount of charity and voluntary work and both have degrees but find it hard to work being in their late 50's plus living about 10 miles from town with 3 buses a day and cant afford a car.

But they WANT to work so do what they can but in the past the government has tried stopping their money saying my dad isnt ill enough(he can do work like admin but nothing with heavy lifting etc)

Understandably there are some students out there who are lowlife, that goes for all sorts of people though.
Also, if you read back to my other posts, if people are genuinely ill then I have no problem. It's the council house scum I have a problem with.
Sallyjade
Understandably there are some students out there who are lowlife, that goes for all sorts of people though.
Also, if you read back to my other posts, if people are genuinely ill then I have no problem. It's the council house scum I have a problem with.

Gosh you do have a knack of offending people don't you? Do you practice or does it just come naturally?

Jingle (aka council house scum)
Reply 186
jinglepupskye
Gosh you do have a knack of offending people don't you? Do you practice or does it just come naturally?

Jingle (aka council house scum)

I have opinions. It is perfectly legal.
There are some sorts of people who need offending to get their arses into a job like the rest of us.
Reply 187
Sallyjade
I have opinions. It is perfectly legal.
There are some sorts of people who need offending to get their arses into a job like the rest of us.

to be honest, I'd be suprised if your anywhere near close to repaying your debt to society.
Do you even earn more than the personal tax allowance?
Reply 188
Quady
to be honest, I'd be suprised if your anywhere near close to repaying your debt to society.
Do you even earn more than the personal tax allowance?

No, but as I'm still in full time education it would be very hard!
Although, my both of parents run businesses and they pay more tax than most people, and I don't like where that money goes.
Also, as I want to be a doctor, when my time comes to pay tax, I'll be paying enough of it.
Why should people work their asses off for their earnings, which then get taxed?

Fair enough for NHS, policing etc. But why should it go to people who don't want to work, to pay for their houses and food etc?
The welfare state was intended for people TEMPORARILY out of work because of redundancy and the depression after the war. It's being made a mockery out of now. People want money for nothing.
Reply 189
Sallyjade
People want money for nothing.

Totally agree, people want something for nothing which is totally unfair!

Rob
Reply 190
Rob 07
Totally agree, people want something for nothing which is totally unfair!

Rob

Thank you. At least someone on here realises what some people are like.
Sallyjade
Thank you. At least someone on here realises what some people are like.

I think that we are beginning to realise what you are like.

A spoilt, pampered, silly little girl who wouldn't know what real life was if it came and bit her on the backside. Many people have jobs while they are still in full-time education. I know, because I am one of them.

Frankly my dear, you need to grow up a lot before you could ever be a doctor.
Reply 192
jinglepupskye

A spoilt, pampered, silly little girl who wouldn't know what real life was if it came and bit her on the backside. Many people have jobs while they are still in full-time education. I know, because I am one of them.

Excuse me?
A job, I have one thank you very much, and it's not just a job in retail.
I run and promote music events. I have non financial support from the council too. Oh, and guess what. I had to use my own money to start out.

I have also come from a working class background, and was brought up by my mother who's always worked and never been on benifits. My father was abusive. So don't give me **** about knowing real life because I've probably been through more **** than most people. I now have a step-father, so we have an extra wage in the house making things easier.

Don't go giving me **** about growing up, I had to grow up FAST. So 'spoilt, pampered and silly' are far from the reality of my life.
My opinions have formed from actual experience.

You know ******** all about me, so don't judge me when you've not had the experiences I have.
You have no idea what kind of a doctor I will make, there are reasons for me wanting to be one. Not just because of a career, because of yet again, experience.

So, don't come at me with your pathetic immature judgments. You have no idea.
Reply 193
Sallyjade
jinglepupskye

Excuse me?
I run and promote music events. I have non financial support from the council too. Oh, and guess what. I had to use my own money to start out.

I have also come from a working class background, and was brought up by my mother who's always worked and never been on benifits. My father was abusive. So don't give me **** about knowing real life because I've probably been through more **** than most people. I now have a step-father, so we have an extra wage in the house making things easier.

Don't go giving me **** about growing up, I had to grow up FAST. So 'spoilt, pampered and silly' are far from the reality of my life.

You know ******** all about me, so don't judge me when you've not had the experiences I have.
You have no idea what kind of a doctor I will make, there are reasons for me wanting to be one. Not just because of a career, because of yet again, experience.

OWNED!
Reply 194
Elipsis
Sallyjade

OWNED!

Some people really pee me off.
Reply 195
Sallyjade
Some people really pee me off.

Me too, they're all like 'you have what is regarded as a slightly conservative opinion therefore you have no idea what the working class goes through on a daily basis.' The fact that i've been there and worked my way out and it wasn't even that difficult just frustrates me even more.
Reply 196
Elipsis
Me too, they're all like 'you have what is regarded as a slightly conservative opinion therefore you have no idea what the working class goes through on a daily basis.' The fact that i've been there and worked my way out and it wasn't even that difficult just frustrates me even more.

Exactly. People are just too lazy to work. Then accuse us of being middle class and sheltered. We weren't born into it. It was worked for. I'm not a freaking heiress.
Elipsis
Sallyjade

OWNED!

You wish!
Sallyjade
Excuse me?

If you could have said all that without the use of of vulgarities then I may have been impressed. As it is, no chance!
Reply 199
jinglepupskye
If you could have said all that without the use of of vulgarities then I may have been impressed. As it is, no chance!

Had you not assumed things about me I may have been better mannered.
As you were rude and judgemental, I got rather angry.

Latest

Trending

Trending