The Student Room Group

Confession: I'm a serial cheater

Ok that title might have grabbed your attention.

It's not an exaggeration either. Every single relationship I've been in, I've cheated on my partner, male or female.
This is partly a confession, partly a cry for help. It's affecting my relationships, obviously but I'm not proud of being like this.
This account is a throwaway, to stay anonymous because, well, would you attach your name to this sort of thing?
I know it's wrong, I'm not stupid but I can't seem to stop myself. I find myself getting bored of my partner only a month or two into the relationship and there's a part of me that finds some grim satisfaction of ruining someone that feels so strongly about me.
I have tried to hold off these urges and honestly the longest I've lasted is about half a year, give or take a few weeks.
It's not normal and I know that, but seriously how do I stop this?
I've tried counselling, therapy, being more open about this with my friends and asking them what I should do but nothing seems to work.
I don't wanna be like this for my whole life. What can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In some weird way, I kind of understand you, but not to your degree... I think it has something to do with my upbringing, my parents did the same, I was so locked up and restricted as a teenager that my urge to rebel against someone displaced itself into a relationship, this isn't an excuse- it's a theory for why I do that.

I've left getting into relationships entirely, for now at least, for my own sake and the others persons sake. I don't get satisfaction from cheating, if I do then it's very short lived, and then it's a long period of hating myself. So for my own mental sanity I'm staying away from them. It can also be caused by the attachment type insecure-avoidant/anxious, which I'm told I have.
Original post by Anonymous
In some weird way, I kind of understand you, but not to your degree... I think it has something to do with my upbringing, my parents did the same, I was so locked up and restricted as a teenager that my urge to rebel against someone displaced itself into a relationship, this isn't an excuse- it's a theory for why I do that.

I've left getting into relationships entirely, for now at least, for my own sake and the others persons sake. I don't get satisfaction from cheating, if I do then it's very short lived, and then it's a long period of hating myself. So for my own mental sanity I'm staying away from them. It can also be caused by the attachment type insecure-avoidant/anxious, which I'm told I have.

That's the strange thing. I was never restricted or "locked up" in that same sense. Some part of me finds some sick enjoyment out of starting drama, fights and generally being a prick. it's an odd feeling, one part of me hates it and wishes more than anything I could stop doing this but another part loves it. I don't really feel a sense of regret or anything, just a feeling akin to something like boredom. Again, I know it's wrong, I'm self-aware enough to recognise that but it's hard to let go of that feeling.
Once a cheat always a cheat
Original post by throwawayacc3741
I don't wanna be like this for my whole life. What can I do?

Stop dating. You're not in a place in your life where you are ready for an exclusive relationship, so don't offer it.
Original post by Mohammed_80

Right, because a response like that is absolutely helpful and definitely does alleviate this issue I have.

What even was the point lad?
Original post by 1582
Stop dating. You're not in a place in your life where you are ready for an exclusive relationship, so don't offer it.

Exactly this. Unless you want one of your exes to send out a PSA each time you enter a new relationship about the multiple times you've cheated in the past, I suggest you take a break from relationships now and do some inner work.

What exactly do you find appealing about cheating, drama and other people's pain? Have you had any adverse childhood experiences that may have caused this? Are there any other concerning behaviours that you have? Why didn't therapy and counselling help you stop?
You say, "there's a part of me that finds some grim satisfaction of ruining someone that feels so strongly about me." That to me suggests (though I don't mean to speak rudely, or out of turn!) that it might be a control thing. Not in a bad way, but, did you lack control in your youth? Were your parents rather domineering? It could be the case that if you've become used to being controlled by others, and you're lashing out against that, and taking the opportunity to exercise some control when it comes to your relationships - in this case, by ruining them.
Reply 8
That's the strange thing. I was never restricted or "locked up" in that same sense. Some part of me finds some sick enjoyment out of starting drama, fights and generally being a prick. it's an odd feeling, one part of me hates it and wishes more than anything I could stop doing this but another part loves it. I don't really feel a sense of regret or anything, just a feeling akin to something like boredom. Again, I know it's wrong, I'm self-aware enough to recognise that but it's

What's the longest period of time you been single?
Original post by 1582

You're right but that's also part of the problem. I can't seem to stop myself and It's ******* me over. I get drunk and inevitably end up doing the same **** to some poor *******. Not that drunkenness is the cause, I was like this before I started drinking. I could shut myself off completely, as I feel that would be one surefire way to prevent it but then I'm just gonna be continuously miserable. It's a lose-lose situation.
Right, because a response like that is absolutely helpful and definitely does alleviate this issue I have.

The only way for you to avoid this is actually stop being in a relationship or dating.
(edited 11 months ago)

I'm sorry to tell you, but they are right... once I stopped dating did those sickening feelings of what I had done left. Strange how you say you don't feel remorse though... not even a little bit? Maybe even a long time after you cheated? If this is your source of dopamine then it really shouldn't be, because you're hurting another party involved- I would suggest seeking therapy. For me, I think I turned out this way due to childhood trauma. I'm okay with not dating for now, it's been over a year at this point, and only recently have I been in a place of comfort. It also comforts me to know I'm not hurting anyone in the process.
Reply 12
Original post by Mohammed_80

You don't believe humans can grow and change?
Original post by EVRoosevelt
You say, "there's a part of me that finds some grim satisfaction of ruining someone that feels so strongly about me." That to me suggests (though I don't mean to speak rudely, or out of turn!) that it might be a control thing. Not in a bad way, but, did you lack control in your youth? Were your parents rather domineering? It could be the case that if you've become used to being controlled by others, and you're lashing out against that, and taking the opportunity to exercise some control when it comes to your relationships - in this case, by ruining them.

I think the closest I can relate to any of that is that whenever I was younger, some of my friend groups used to pick on me. Not that I minded of course, I was just happy to have friends. But I hated not being in control of the situation. There would be times when I would go home in tears thinking of ways I could hurt them to get back at it. I realise that probably doesn't give a great impression but if an honest is what you want, then you have it.

they're right to be honest. I personally haven't been in a relationship, only had "situationships" but they always overlap- I never find myself wanting truly one person when I'm with them so theres always someone else yknow. I took this same advice- I'm just not going to even try at committed relationships because obviously I won't be able to maintain them. You can have equal as much fun if you find people that are ok with having an open relationship or polyamory. In that way you don't hurt other people anymore.
You're right but that's also part of the problem. I can't seem to stop myself and It's ******* me over. I get drunk and inevitably end up doing the same **** to some poor *******. Not that drunkenness is the cause, I was like this before I started drinking. I could shut myself off completely, as I feel that would be one surefire way to prevent it but then I'm just gonna be continuously miserable. It's a lose-lose situation.

Which one is it going to be? Being temporarily 'miserable' or stringing multiple partners along only to make them miserable while you relish in it? Sometimes, you have to be selfless for the sake of yourself and others in the future.
Original post by SagaciousSag
Which one is it going to be? Being temporarily 'miserable' or stringing multiple partners along only to make them miserable while you relish in it? Sometimes, you have to be selfless for the sake of yourself and others in the future.

Exactly, it may hurt OP right now knowing that completely avoiding getting in a relationship is their best cause of action at the moment, but they'll understand in the long run.
I think the closest I can relate to any of that is that whenever I was younger, some of my friend groups used to pick on me. Not that I minded of course, I was just happy to have friends. But I hated not being in control of the situation. There would be times when I would go home in tears thinking of ways I could hurt them to get back at it. I realise that probably doesn't give a great impression but if an honest is what you want, then you have it.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, that must have been horrid :frown:
Perhaps that it is to-do with this, as if you haven't been used to a caring friendship, either, you might not feel comfortable around a loving (or potentially loving in the future) partner; it might feel so unfamiliar to you, as you've only ever been used to people who would treat you nastily - and even then you've felt as though you ought to be grateful for those unpleasant people.
I don't mean to armchair-psychologist you (I have no knowledge in those areas!!), but it might be the case that those feelings of a lack of control, and your not being used to kindness, might have altered the way you view relationships. I know you say you've tried therapy, but it might be worth giving it another go, with a different therapist, and trying to work through your childhood worries and unpleasantnesses - if you can move away from those, you might find your mindset when it comes to relationships changes a bit :h: I wish you good luck, whatever you decide!! :smile:
Original post by SagaciousSag

Look, I understand what you're getting at but what I mean is finding a way I can be happy without having to cheat all the time.

Original post by xox416
What's the longest period of time you been single?

5 years. The first time I did this was when I was 16. That was my first serious relationship with a guy.
Original post by xox416
You don't believe humans can grow and change?

You can’t be telling me cheating to you is considered a game… otherwise you’d question a person loyalty and commitment just 2 of the biggest traits to even maintain a relationship… so once you’ve proven your a cheat and if it’s genuine… then there’s no coming back unless respect and trust is earned and gained

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending