The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sallyjade
Had you not assumed things about me I may have been better mannered.
As you were rude and judgemental, I got rather angry.

I can only judge you on what you post.

You call it having an opinion. I see it as being very rude and very judgemental about people that you have no real knowledge of. There are hundreds of thousands of people who claim benefits and you cannot dismiss them as all as being a waste of space.

Rather than help people off benefits which was the focus of my inital post, which you took exception to, you would prefer to write them off as useless and deprive them of the money they need to exist. What exactly do you think would happen if we did follow your advice?

Millions of people becoming homeless. Children going into care rather than being left with loving parents. Beggars on the streets. The benefit system exists to prevent these things.

If you want people to contribute to society then you need to help them to overcome the disadvantages that they start life with or acquire during life. So you look after their health, you provide a good standard of education. You give them sufficient money to exist in a reasonable condition.

Then you train them to do the jobs that are available for them. That is helping people out of poverty, not throwing them into even worse situations in order to say well we've saved a few quid of taxpayer's money.

As a future doctor you need to have the compassion and understanding to be able to help, and not condemn those who may not fit your picture of the perfect citizen. We live in 2008 and turning the clock back to Victorian standards is not the way forward. I will gladly pay tax if it keeps even one shoeless, starving child from wandering the streets in threadbare clothing.
Reply 201
Sallyjade
Fair enough for NHS, policing etc. But why should it go to people who don't want to work, to pay for their houses and food etc?

Would you rather they robbed your house and took all your stuff? That would probably cost a lot more. And would you want them to live on the streets and robbing people?
Reply 202
jinglepupskye
I can only judge you on what you post.

You call it having an opinion. I see it as being very rude and very judgemental about people that you have no real knowledge of. There are hundreds of thousands of people who claim benefits and you cannot dismiss them as all as being a waste of space.

Rather than help people off benefits which was the focus of my inital post, which you took exception to, you would prefer to write them off as useless and deprive them of the money they need to exist. What exactly do you think would happen if we did follow your advice?

Millions of people becoming homeless. Children going into care rather than being left with loving parents. Beggars on the streets. The benefit system exists to prevent these things.

If you want people to contribute to society then you need to help them to overcome the disadvantages that they start life with or acquire during life. So you look after their health, you provide a good standard of education. You give them sufficient money to exist in a reasonable condition.

Then you train them to do the jobs that are available for them. That is helping people out of poverty, not throwing them into even worse situations in order to say well we've saved a few quid of taxpayer's money.

As a future doctor you need to have the compassion and understanding to be able to help, and not condemn those who may not fit your picture of the perfect citizen. We live in 2008 and turning the clock back to Victorian standards is not the way forward. I will gladly pay tax if it keeps even one shoeless, starving child from wandering the streets in threadbare clothing.

I'm all for helping people out of poverty. But only the ones who are willing to work. If they aren't willing, which there are many of these people around then I class them as a waste of space. You really need to take a long hard look at the people in society today. Not everyone on the dole are people in poverty, trying their hardest to get work and struggling to survive. There are people who are on there because they know they can have money for nothing.

I also have no problem with my money going to helping starving children. If I could believe me I'd take every last one of them in and take care of them myself. But that is impossible, both physically and financially. But these children come from the type of people who are a waste of space. If my money went to helping the children get a good future, and have a good life I'd never complain. But it doesn't. These children don't see that money, because of their parents. The only thing that helps these children are the care homes, and it's a very small fraction of tax that goes towards them.

MP's get £22,000 furniture expences every year for their second homes on top of their wages.
Oh our tax is so well spent.:rolleyes:
Reply 203
Titch89
Would you rather they robbed your house and took all your stuff? That would probably cost a lot more. And would you want them to live on the streets and robbing people?

Doesn't that prove the state of the country.
There is no dicipline these days.
The real answer is to teach them a good hard lesson about being a good citizen, who works like the rest of us.
I'd never dream of living off people's taxes, and if the dole didn't exist then I'd certainly never steal.

Thanks though, you've proven my point - these people are scum.
Sallyjade
I'm all for helping people out of poverty. But only the ones who are willing to work. If they aren't willing, which there are many of these people around then I class them as a waste of space. You really need to take a long hard look at the people in society today. Not everyone on the dole are people in poverty, trying their hardest to get work and struggling to survive. There are people who are on there because they know they can have money for nothing.

I also have no problem with my money going to helping starving children. If I could believe me I'd take every last one of them in and take care of them myself. But that is impossible, both physically and financially. But these children come from the type of people who are a waste of space. If my money went to helping the children get a good future, and have a good life I'd never complain. But it doesn't. These children don't see that money, because of their parents. The only thing that helps these children are the care homes, and it's a very small fraction of tax that goes towards them.

MP's get £22,000 furniture expences every year for their second homes on top of their wages.
Oh our tax is so well spent.:rolleyes:

You are still under the mistaken impression that there are jobs available for everyone who should be working. The reality is that there isn't. That's fact, like it or not.

There are hundreds of NHS students who have just completed their training and won't get jobs in the NHS. Why? Because the NHS won't fund those jobs. That's the reality. So all of those students who desperately want to use their skills are having to either sit on their backsides or do work which is not what they trained for.

I would refer you the blog in the Healthcare forum of a physio graduate who is trying to find work.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=601714

I also think that you are mistaken in your views of parents who are unemployed. I know that you may have read it in the paper but the reason that those people get into the paper is because they are so uncommon. If every unemployed parent starved their children then they wouldn't bother printing it as it would not be news.

I would also point out that for many children the worst thing that can happen to them is to be taken into care. Children in care tend to do less well in school, which makes it even more unlikely that they will be able to get a job.

According to the Department for Schools, Children & Families only 7% of looked after children achieved 5 or more GCSEs Grade A*-C which is really the minimum standard of entry for most jobs.

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s000691/index.shtml

The average across the UK for the same attainment of children is 46.8%. That is a huge difference.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/cgi-bin/performancetables/group_07.pl?Mode=Z&No=840&Base=b&Type=LA&Phase=1&Year=07

As to your point about MPs. If they set the example by sticking their noses in the trough and grabbing every penny they can, by fair means or foul, then why should the great unwashed not follow their example? We could also discuss the tax evasion and avoidance which many businesses devote themselves to.
Sallyjade
Exactly. People are just too lazy to work. Then accuse us of being middle class and sheltered. We weren't born into it. It was worked for. I'm not a freaking heiress.

Still but no offense to you but you are generalising, even though on one hand you are talking about the chavs you are generalising everyone on benefits.

But then so does so many people

I doubt most people on benefits are the chavs, but at most a lot are people who are fed up of working long hours for terrible pay and want some time to chill out, they have paid tax and are getting it back.

The whole thing about benefits is tax.

Somehow someone signing on as they cant get a job getting benefits is worse than someone like Paris Hilton who gets all her money for free and wastes it.

No real difference to me except her family can afford it so she isnt getting it in taxes.

Shes still lazier than many on benefits though.

id say there was more chavs on benefits than real claimaints and I say a bigger proportion but I still say theres more good claimants than people know.

And like I say someone before was going on about how they go to pub at lunch to get a meal and theres regulars in there moaning about being skint.

Therefore they must be on benefits and lazy

Not that they could genuninely be ill but spend most of their money on booze and live off next to no food and not buy new clothes.
Reply 206
GemmyMonster
She never said she WANTED to expand her family, many don't.

In that case she should have kept her legs crossed.
mdhey89
In that case she should have kept her legs crossed.

The OP said
Furthermore why are we effectively paying them to expand their families?

So what I said meant she didn't mean she wanted to expand her family, as in have more kids than the 1? she'd got.
Reply 208
drbluebox
Still but no offense to you but you are generalising, even though on one hand you are talking about the chavs you are generalising everyone on benefits.

But then so does so many people

I doubt most people on benefits are the chavs, but at most a lot are people who are fed up of working long hours for terrible pay and want some time to chill out, they have paid tax and are getting it back.

The whole thing about benefits is tax.

Somehow someone signing on as they cant get a job getting benefits is worse than someone like Paris Hilton who gets all her money for free and wastes it.

No real difference to me except her family can afford it so she isnt getting it in taxes.

Shes still lazier than many on benefits though.

id say there was more chavs on benefits than real claimaints and I say a bigger proportion but I still say theres more good claimants than people know.

And like I say someone before was going on about how they go to pub at lunch to get a meal and theres regulars in there moaning about being skint.

Therefore they must be on benefits and lazy

Not that they could genuninely be ill but spend most of their money on booze and live off next to no food and not buy new clothes.

Most?
I think anyone with any self respect would want to work for what they get. Wanting to take time out - that's why we have holidays!

If someone can't get a job, fine as long as they're looking for one. Job seekers is called job seekers for a reason.

My argument, is that we should all be equal, why should anyone work if they choose not to?
Everyone should contribute. If we all signed on, the country would be a worse state than what it already is. The situation is still bad enough to cause inflation and recesion though isn't it?
If our tax wasn't wasted on these people, and they worked and payed tax themselves money would be less wasted.

We'd have:
Better health care
Better education
Better facilities for foster homes
Better policing (which we're desperate for)
Better public transport
Lower car tax&petrol tax

A generally better economy, take France for instance, they don't put up with people who don't want to work. Look at their economy and facilities.
We have 3rd world heath care because we don't have enough money to make it better, because the money is going elsewhere.
We have one of the highest tax percentages to pay in the world, yet we get nothing back.
I wonder why!!!!
Some use the pathetic excuse that there aren't enough jobs.

In my opinion there are always going to be jobs. You walk around an inner city area nowadays and they're absolute dumps. I say, round up the benefit THIEVES and force them to clean the streets.

Dossers.
Reply 210
Sallyjade
My argument, is that we should all be equal, why should anyone work if they choose not to?
Everyone should contribute. If we all signed on, the country would be a worse state than what it already is. The situation is still bad enough to cause inflation and recesion though isn't it?
If our tax wasn't wasted on these people, and they worked and payed tax themselves money would be less wasted.

We'd have:
Better health care
Better education
Better public transport
Lower car tax&petrol tax

A generally better economy, take France for instance, they don't put up with people who don't want to work. Look at their economy and facilities.
We have 3rd world heath care because we don't have enough money to make it better, because the money is going elsewhere.
We have one of the highest tax percentages to pay in the world, yet we get nothing back.
I wonder why!!!!

A lot of Scandinavian countries have a generous welfare state. They spend more GDP on their welfare state than the UK does but have very low levels of unemployment, the lowest levels of poverty in the world and I see no major problems with their facilities. They also have high levels of tax.

France's economy is not doing well in terms of unemployment, which they have high levels of. Higher than the UK I believe.

Comparing our health service to that of third-world countries is a hyperbole. Their services pale in comparison to ours. There's no argument when you're trying to compare developed countries and developing ones.

I believe NHS spending has gone up throughout the years, however demand will always be an issuse with the NHS. The opportunity cost of removing the welfare state and spending money on the NHS will only cause more problems.

Final point; Our economy is not doing so well right now, but most developed countries are going through the same phase.
Reply 211
Imported
A lot of Scandinavian countries have a generous welfare state. They spend more GDP on their welfare state than the UK does but have very low levels of unemployment, the lowest levels of poverty in the world and I see no major problems with their facilities. They also have high levels of tax.

France's economy is not doing well in terms of unemployment, which they have high levels of. Higher than the UK I believe.

Comparing our health service to that of third-world countries is a hyperbole. Their services pale in comparison to ours. There's no argument when you're trying to compare developed countries and developing ones.

I believe NHS spending has gone up throughout the years, however demand will always be an issuse with the NHS. The opportunity cost of removing the welfare state and spending money on the NHS will only cause more problems.

Final point; Our economy is not doing so well right now, but most developed countries are going through the same phase.

Yea, but their welfare state is used properly in their country, and not given to anyone like in our country.

The French have a much better medical system if you look into it. Also, it was infact on the news that our medical system is of a terrible standard, and it was comparing it to other countries. Why are our numbers of C-Dif and MRSA so high? People are scared to be treated in our health service because you may come out with a life threatening disease.
My friends aunty was in hospital being treated for cancer, she died of MRSA. The hospital tried to cover it up.

Granted, there is a world recesion, but ours is of a far worse state because our money is wasted where it shouldn't be spent.
Reply 212
necessarily benevolent

In my opinion there are always going to be jobs. You walk around an inner city area nowadays and they're absolute dumps. I say, round up the benefit THIEVES and force them to clean the streets.

Dossers.

I totally agree, my other proposal was instead of burning natural resorses to power the wheels to power the generators get them (and criminals) to push the wheels.
That way we're saving energy and contributing less to global warming, on top of inforcing punishment.
I might take my idea to Gordon, but then again he wont agree and it will be seen as discrimination or un PC.
Sallyjade
I totally agree, my other proposal was instead of burning natural resorses to power the wheels to power the generators get them (and criminals) to push the wheels.
That way we're saving energy and contributing less to global warming, on top of inforcing punishment.
I might take my idea to Gordon, but then again he wont agree and it will be seen as discrimination or un PC.

Of course we could simply burn the unemployed and save on costs even more. After all it is green to use renewable energy sources! And we could just pay the chavs to keep breeding new supplies!
Reply 214
necessarily benevolent

What a load of rubbish. if you believe that's true explain the following to me:
My dad pretty much worked from the of 17-43, when he had an accident at work and then eventually got made rendunant. Afdter a few months, he found a temporary job and a month later, got made redundant again. It took him 5 months to get a job. Now, he wasn't fussy and was prepared to do any job as long as people were willing to take him on. 3 years later, he's still in that and struggling to find a better paid job.

Also, explain to me why I couldn't find a job. After 4 months of looking, I gave up due to ill health.

*wonders if it's occured to Sallyjade that there are people out there who genuinely can't work*:rolleyes:
Sallyjade
Most?
I think anyone with any self respect would want to work for what they get. Wanting to take time out - that's why we have holidays!

If someone can't get a job, fine as long as they're looking for one. Job seekers is called job seekers for a reason.

We'd have:
Better health care
Better education
Better public transport
Lower car tax&petrol tax

I wonder why!!!!

Thats an easy way to blame, its nothing to do with taxes as such, just badly spent taxes.

I know loads of councils who waste tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands each year as they underspent on certain areas or didnt need to spend the cash but dont have enough for others but cant transfer it and need to spend it to balance the books and to get the same amount the next year.

If the politiicians stopped getting massive wages and voting themselves increases and the money went where it should go then things would be better.

Plus stop making it easy for chavs to claim and genuine ones getting their money stopped due to a single tiny mistake which happened to me and a friend and a few of my friends.

I.e with me I got about 15 application forms in one day, forgot to fill in ONE! and even then I wouldnt of got it but decided to apply anywhere as what was there to lose, I was honest and said I forgot to send it off before closing date(after all it was same day as I was given it)

Had my money stopped and was talked to like I was scum then a chav comes in to sign on sits on chair and when woman asks if he has looked for work says "No I didnt want to" and is fine.

Same chav 10 minutes later comes back and demands his giro as it was supposed to be in post and his flatmate rang and said post had arrived and it wasnt there. How was he supposed to get home(the place he lived was about 15-30 minutes walk from jobcentre) demanded another giro there and then

A friend of mine was only signing on due to living in middle of nowhere 25 odd miles from nearest town, so he moved with me to get a job and a week later started a new one, then was fired within a month as he was told he wasnt good enough but jobcentre refused to give him benefits as they claimed he was still working since his employer wasnt replying to jobcentre emails and phone calls.

He for 7 months had no job and lived off me giving him 10p reduced things and had bad depression.

My mums friend is divorced and is supposed to get money from ex but he never pays so she has to sign on but they wont pay her as they say she MUST be getting money from ex and she is lying.

Shes getting evicted soon due to not paying rent as she has no money to pay it.

Benefits arent always as easy to get as you think.
Titch89
My dad pretty much worked from the of 17-43, when he had an accident at work and then eventually got made rendunant. Afdter a few months, he found a temporary job and a month later, got made redundant again. It took him 5 months to get a job. Now, he wasn't fussy and was prepared to do any job as long as people were willing to take him on. 3 years later, he's still in that and struggling to find a better paid job.

Also, explain to me why I couldn't find a job. After 4 months of looking, I gave up due to ill health.

*wonders if it's occured to Sallyjade that there are people out there who genuinely can't work*:rolleyes:

Natural selection.

If you put the effort in to find a job and push yourself you'll always find something. If you can't find one, you're either not qualified or not trying hard enough.
Reply 217
necessarily benevolent
Natural selection.

If you put the effort in to find a job and push yourself you'll always find something. If you can't find one, you're either not qualified or not trying hard enough.

Rubbish. My dad did look hard enough and did go to several interviews. And any jobs he's applied for, he has been qualified for.
necessarily benevolent
Natural selection.

As has been said not true.

I was TURNED DOWN for supermarkets, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons etc I also was turned down for cleaning toilets!

Im overqualified for them as even one supermarket that did give me an interview said "why are you applying here when you could get a better job with your qualifications"

So im overqualified and underexperienced..

A lot of older people have trouble competing with younger people as employers want a long term employee
Reply 219
Titch89

We've covered the 'genuinely can't work' matter actually.

Try jobcentre there's plenty of jobs on there. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending