The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
furry747

This means that taxes can be lowered, (less benefits)

What are people meant to live on then?

The benefits system is totally messed up anyway - as someone who is partially sighted, I can't get benefits (only DLA, which isn't a lot) yet, if I have a child, I don't have to work. Fair?:rolleyes:

Crack down on the greedy people who earn a good wage AND get benefits

People who get both (apart from DLA) have really low wages.
That's not what I meant. Some people get away with working for a decent wage, and still recieve welfare. Frauds, obviously.

Oh, and that's screwed up. Isn't that the purpose of disability benefits?
Reply 142
In order to get disability benefits, you have to be pretty much unable to do anything - that's even to get the low rate benefit as well.
Reply 143
Would mandatory contraception for claimants be acceptable?
NJA
Would mandatory contraception for claimants be acceptable?

No, some might not be able to take it etc.
Elipsis
It's not my fault that this woman was extremely unselective with who she had a child with, and she's not adding any intelligence or quality of life being at home with the child. At the end of the day if people like this weren't being paid for and had to work taxes would be lower and people who aren't scum could work less and be with their children more. And no I don't think she should be allowed a tv, she should have a set amount of food bought for her and living on benifits should be such a painful existence that every fibre of her being should want to go and work; as it stands a lot of people live rather comfortably for free and do so for their entire lives.

Here, Here. I completely agree with this. I'd even give you 'rep' if I knew how. I hate how good people with good jobs who help the community like my parents always end up being the worse off nowadays. I agree with the person earlier who said that benifits sholud be given to people literally if its a real life/ death situation- they should be given enough money to not die on and no more. It takes the piss giving people stuff for free. If I had my way, the only way you'd get benefits is if you give the community something- like volunteering or shock horror WORKING. If you bother to make something of your life and earn enough legitimately to be well off then good on you, if you cant be bothered because 'working doesnt quite agree with you' then you have no right to complain about being 'poor'. We should send some of these people to third world countries and see how they fare there :smile:
I say bring back workhouses. It would be much more effective and cheaper than our welfare system. Keep welfare for the seriously disabled. Seriously disabled only because most disabilities do not affect your ability to do most jobs. Everyone else can either work by their own means, or be sent to a workhouse for cheap labour like sewing things together etc. This would also stop suffering in LEDCs brought about through children working underage in sweatshops because all that stuff can be done by our wasters and no-hopers.
Reply 147
WithFlyingColours
Seriously disabled only because most disabilities do not affect your ability to do most jobs.

Crap. I don't have a serious disability, yet am seriously limited what I can & can't do. Hell, I've even been question by several people if I can do a career in IT.:rolleyes:

And how do you decide who has a severe disability and who doesn't?

Crap. I don't have a serious disability, yet am seriously limited what I can & can't do. Hell, I've even been question by several people if I can do a career in IT.

And how do you decide who has a severe disability and who doesn't?

As does my sister who's both deaf and blind. She can still work certain jobs despite the fact I consider her disabilities severe.

You judge it on how many jobs they can do.
T-o dore
God just watch Jeremy Kyle for a few minutes. They are vermin. I know thats a huge generalized, snobbish comment, but some people who are on benefits make NO effort to get a job, have unprotected sex and just lounge around slobbishly being generally rude, unsightly and... AND... *explodes*

They sound just like stereotypical students actually!
Reply 151
jinglepupskye

I would include ALL sick and disabled people within this scheme and completely remove ALL disability benefits. Those who were too disabled physically or mentally to work would receive an amount similar to the state pension and no further assistance via DLA or mobility etc.

Hi
You sound quite bright. Could you just scope out a typical budget for someone living only on the state pension? I'm not so bright, I couldn't make the maths work!
cheers!
jinglepupskye
I would include ALL sick and disabled people within this scheme and completely remove ALL disability benefits. Those who were too disabled physically or mentally to work would receive an amount similar to the state pension and no further assistance via DLA or mobility etc.

I agree with most of it, except this.

What about those with families? Pensions aren't very high at all.

And without motability cars, how would most get around? They can't afford to run a car in most cases and may need a larger car, to fit a wheelchair in, or just so they can get in. And the big problem is that most cannot walk - my Dad couldn't even walk the 1/4 mile or so to the village shop. Wheelchairs are often too dangerous to use due to cars tearing around.

This part is a bit flawed and very unfair on the disabled people.
Reply 153
jinglepupskye

But what about people like me who need their DLA to buy extra equipment because of their disability? And how on earth am I meant to get around? I have problems walking and am banned from driving for medical reasons. Ok, I have a bus pass, but buses don't go everywhere.
Quady
Hi
You sound quite bright. Could you just scope out a typical budget for someone living only on the state pension? I'm not so bright, I couldn't make the maths work!
cheers!

Millions of pensioners manage it. I'm quite sure that others could as well. Especially as they would have child benefit if they had kids.

My mum currently lives on £82 per week which is well under a pensioners guaranteed income of £200 per week. If she can suvive on that then why should someone else not be able to manage on £200?
Titch89
But what about people like me who need their DLA to buy extra equipment because of their disability? And how on earth am I meant to get around? I have problems walking and am banned from driving for medical reasons. Ok, I have a bus pass, but buses don't go everywhere.

There are thousands of taxis which are adapted for the disabled.
jinglepupskye
Millions of pensioners manage it. I'm quite sure that others could as well. Especially as they would have child benefit if they had kids.

My mum currently lives on £82 per week which is well under a pensioners guaranteed income of £200 per week. If she can suvive on that then why should someone else not be able to manage on £200?

I don't know any pensioners who get £200 a week - and I have grandparents and older family friends. But that would be a bit more than we actually get currently.

Child benefits are quite low I think? Though not actually sure of just how much they are.

jinglepupskye

Taxis are very, very expensive! Too much for someone on a low income to afford.
Reply 157
jinglepupskye

Using what money exactly? That's what my DLA is for.
Reply 158
This is the show in question if anyone's interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cdvvt
Reply 159
jinglepupskye

Well first off guaranteed income of £200 is for a couple or rather:

Single person £124.05
Married couple £189.35

(admittedly higher than I thought it was since my dad gets basic)

Even so, again £6,500 for a single person is going to be a little difficult to say the least. Say £250 a month rent (god knows where you can find that now - I've been looking for lettings in Warrington and still higher than that) that takes you down to £3,500/year or £67/week
- council tax, heating/water, food, clothes
Im still not seeing it....

How can your mum even afford housing on £82/week?? (I think your answer might shoot your arguement in the foot either being own a house or not paid for by her, but perhaps not?)

Latest

Trending

Trending