The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmmmm just watching the news and many of the lazy buggers who cant be bothered to work are not happy with the news of what has been proposed - what a surprise! :rolleyes:

I reckon the word ''work'' actually terrifies them or they are allergic to it!? . . . .
Quady
Well first off guaranteed income of £200 is for a couple or rather:

Single person £124.05
Married couple £189.35

(admittedly higher than I thought it was since my dad gets basic)

Even so, again £6,500 for a single person is going to be a little difficult to say the least. Say £250 a month rent (god knows where you can find that now - I've been looking for lettings in Warrington and still higher than that) that takes you down to £3,500/year or £67/week
- council tax, heating/water, food, clothes
Im still not seeing it....

How can your mum even afford housing on £82/week?? (I think your answer might shoot your arguement in the foot either being own a house or not paid for by her, but perhaps not?)

Like any one else on such a low income and like pensioners on a low income she gets housing benefit and council tax benefit. She pays all the other bills associated with owning a house herself and I give her board money.
GemmyMonster
I don't know any pensioners who get £200 a week - and I have grandparents and older family friends. But that would be a bit more than we actually get currently.

Child benefits are quite low I think? Though not actually sure of just how much they are.

Taxis are very, very expensive! Too much for someone on a low income to afford.

A pensioner will also have entitlement to mortgage/housing benefit /council tax benefit / free travel on buses. They get heating allowances as well and free tv licenses when they reach 73.

Child Benefit

£18.80 per week for the eldest child
£12.55 per week for each additional child

If you have a low income where are you going to go? You can't afford to go anywhere apart from the shops for food once a week.
Reply 163
'and no further assistance via DLA or mobility etc.'
I took that to mean non of the pensioner things

pensioners get mortgage benefit?!?
jinglepupskye
A pensioner will also have entitlement to mortgage/housing benefit /council tax benefit / free travel on buses. They get heating allowances as well and free tv licenses when they reach 73.

Child Benefit

£18.80 per week for the eldest child
£12.55 per week for each additional child

If you have a low income where are you going to go? You can't afford to go anywhere apart from the shops for food once a week.

Thats such a weird age dont you think? I wonder why its 73?
Quady
'and no further assistance via DLA or mobility etc.'
I took that to mean non of the pensioner things

pensioners get mortgage benefit?!?

Of course! Obviously they have to have a low income but they still can qualify for it and I even think they get age related premiums so that they can have a higher income than someone younger and still get it.

My grandparents have far more money than my mum and they don't have any rent or council tax to pay.
Jeez! Some sad weirdo has just negged me because they don't like me saying the diasbled should have benefits removed! The poor sod must be too thick to read my post in which I clearly stated that those who had real disabilities would be put on a pension which will in the majority of cases give them more than they have now!

Sleep well sweetheart. Don't slam the door on your way to bed! Oops too late, she already did! What a joke.

Hi, back again. Decided to give you a laugh at the weirdo! This is what they said!

Hope you don't ever get any power; you'd be like Hitler! Why shouldn't disabled people get the same benefits they get now? addicts finding work while in rehab, yeah, that's really going to work. Employers will love them. In case you haven't noticed, there aren't many jobs at the moment, we're probably going into a recession.

They obviously missed the part about getting people off drugs etc BEFORE putting them out to work but I suppose that concept was too deep for them! And considering that I live in an area with one of the highest umemployment figures in the country, gee yes, I have noticed a shortage of jobs!!

Actally considering their main concern was addicts perhaps I got too close to the bone? Touchy!
GemmyMonster
Hmm now, I do think - especially if her daughter is under secondary age - that she should have the option to stay at home with her. I hate how all Mums (single or not nowadays) are expected to dump their kids on babysitters and work. I know some choose to, but I do think it should be optional.

Why can't mums work part time so they can finish work early enough to pick their kids up from work and spend the late afternoon with them? That's what my mum did even though my dad was working. During the holidays I would have my nan or older brother look after me but my parents would take plenty of time off work to spend the day with me.

Parents are also expected to provide for their children as well as spend time with them.
Well your Mum was lucky to get a job with those kind of hours - most who were working parents when I was in primary school could only get all day jobs - I know because my Mum was trying to find a job when I was about 11, and nowhere would give her shifts so that she saw us after school, never mind picking us up.
Reply 169
I think that benefits for people who are able to work should be abolished.
They should bring in further medical checks when applying for benifits.
Personally I think that this benifit culture is a large contributor to the credit crunch.
The governments money is going places it shouldn't be, thus affecting our economy.

It's foul that people think they have a right to stay at home and sit on their asses all day and get free money when there are people out there working their asses off for minimum wage. A lot of these 'dole scum' spend all their money on drugs and alcohol. The breed (I am reffering to them as animals, as they don't deserve status) to get more money to fund their slumish lifestyle. Usually, people on the dole are bad parents too.

Shoot them. (They are vermin, like pidgeons after all).

Edit : and don't give me **** that your parents can't manage a job because you're in school. My mother was a single parent, she managed. So screw that for an excuse.
Is the crack down on benefits a distraction from the other things that are going on in Britain which are much more important in their magnitude, banks in crisis, war, global warming, impending recession, company fraud, business fraud, fraud in high places, democratic deficits, inflation, oil crisis, environmental degradation, etc.

In my opinion I wouldn't want to have to work with the sort of people who commit fraud to finance their miserable lifestyles. Welfare benefits are for those decent people who need them and people in that position shouldn't be put under the stress of being interrogated by some functionary with the additional threat of having them withdrawn. Social welfare in Britain has had to be fought for by socially concerned people and they only came about after the catalyst of two world wars. To put them at risk is despicable which is why I have no time for cheats but I have all the time in the world for people who need benefits because their circumstances render them redundant and unemployed, ill or unfit for work. It is the list a civil society can dfo.
Reply 171
Sallyjade
Personally I think that this benifit culture is a large contributor to the credit crunch.
The governments money is going places it shouldn't be, thus affecting our economy.

It's foul that people think they have a right to stay at home and sit on their asses all day and get free money when there are people out there working their asses off for minimum wage. A lot of these 'dole scum' spend all their money on drugs and alcohol. The breed (I am reffering to them as animals, as they don't deserve status) to get more money to fund their slumish lifestyle. Usually, people on the dole are bad parents too.

Edit : and don't give me **** that your parents can't manage a job because you're in school. My mother was a single parent, she managed. So screw that for an excuse.

That's not fair at all...

Pigeons go out and find food and work hard all day to feed their young! They build their own nests as well rather than just expecting other pigeons to make and maintain them for them.
Reply 172
Elipsis
That's not fair at all...

Pigeons go out and find food and work hard all day to feed their young! They build their own nests as well rather than just expecting other pigeons to make and maintain them for them.

Fair point. Even pidgeons are more hard working and worthy of life.
Sallyjade

What a delightful person you are!

I suppose it makes you feel superior venting your hatred of anyone who doesn't come up to your standards. You would be surprised I'm sure, to find that many people are of a similar view when it comes to students and also believe they spend all their money on drugs and alcohol and spending the day sitting on their asses.

They are wrong, just as you are wrong.
Reply 174
jinglepupskye

I suppose it makes you feel superior venting your hatred of anyone who doesn't come up to your standards. You would be surprised I'm sure, to find that many people are of a similar view when it comes to students and also believe they spend all their money on drugs and alcohol and spending the day sitting on their asses.

So you think expecting people not to feed their families out of your pocket when they can earn their own livelyhood is a high standard? Haha don't make me laugh.
Reply 175
jinglepupskye

Fact: people on the dole don't work, and neither do they ever intend to.

Fact: Most students have a job as well as loans (which must be payed back). They are also working for a degree, which leads to a job. Grants do not have to be payed back, but students do have to live on these whilst WORKING and STUDYING. People on the dole do NOT do either.

So I do not feel superior, however I should be seen as a better person because I intend to work and pay tax in the future. I feel I should be entitled to vent my anger when I'll be paying for scum to live their worthless lives in the future.

So get your facts together before giving me a lecture, on what I clearly know more about. I actually take interest in politics.
i think probably the easiest way to deal with the whole benifit debate is to probably give vouchers instead of money. At least this way the decent benfit claims wouldnt cheat the system and the fraudsters wouldnt be able to. I do however think that the limit you are able to earn in order to get certain benfits should be raised inline with the state of affairs within the country at the moment. Ie Claiming housing benifit i think is set at £15k a year. the average house and rent has gone up so surely this is no longer in line with each other.
I think that some people on this thread need to remember that they haven't started their lives yet and they have no idea what the future holds for them.

Maybe one day they will be dependent on benefits, through no fault of their own, and will have to endure being called subhuman by some wet behind the ears kid, who has never done anything except sit in a classroom and go to their daddy for a handout whenever they are short of money.

As for the person who claimed to be interested in politics! You need to learn about real life before you start slagging off people. And if you intend being a politician you should also remember that making such ignorant and bigoted posts can have a nasty way of coming back and biting you on the backside in the future when you want people to vote for you.
Reply 178
Sallyjade

Fact: Most students have a job as well as loans (which must be payed back). They are also working for a degree, which leads to a job. Grants do not have to be payed back, but students do have to live on these whilst WORKING and STUDYING. People on the dole do NOT do either.

So I do not feel superior, however I should be seen as a better person because I intend to work and pay tax in the future. I feel I should be entitled to vent my anger when I'll be paying for scum to live their worthless lives in the future.

So get your facts together before giving me a lecture, on what I clearly know more about. I actually take interest in politics.

loans are benifits, its money under its market value
top up fees are nothing compared to the LEA contribution
loans dont have to be paid back - incorrect 'fact'
most students don't earn over the the personal allowance

Whats your stance on students on benifits then? ie 2 years study, year out on incapacity then final year?
Sallyjade

What a stupid and unintelligent post,

MANY people on benefits are more intelligent and harder working than working people and students.

Dont know where you get the idea that most students work since at both unis I have been to and the few colleges most arent bothered and try to get as much money from the system as possible

Case in point my ex flatmate got about £800 a month from parents, then had a £10 a hour job handing out leafelts(wow hard work) and whinged every day how poor she was and she should get more money as she was struggling to survive. She got her petrol paid by work, parents paid her car insurance so where did the £100 odd a month go? booze and meals out mainly.

Another girl in my class got the full loan and grants which came to about £6500 then out of the 12 hours a week she was due in over the year she turned up for about 12 hours in 10 MONTHS she was 18 and started end of September, by start of November she was about £8000 in debt from credit cards and overdrafts then had the cheek to apply for £2000 hardship(which she got) from uni wheras I had no overdrafts and my loan was £2500 a year and I was only awarded £200 since I wasnt in debt.

Most students I know are hugely in debt in first year and loads talk about how they arent going to pay it back and just get taken to court as its wiped in 6 years and by then they will have a good job.

My parents havent worked since my dad became ill 20 years ago but do a huge amount of charity and voluntary work and both have degrees but find it hard to work being in their late 50's plus living about 10 miles from town with 3 buses a day and cant afford a car.

But they WANT to work so do what they can but in the past the government has tried stopping their money saying my dad isnt ill enough(he can do work like admin but nothing with heavy lifting etc)

Latest

Trending

Trending