The Student Room Group

Music geography, drama!

Hey guys, was wondering if these were good A Levels for me if I want to take music at ideally conservatoire/music college - if not then I guess university but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

People say don't take drama but I think it helps for confidence in performing and people skills and I enjoy gcse (predicted a 7)
But would it be better to take psychology (probs what my 3rd a level would be if it wasn't drama)?

Thanks xx
Original post by katierharrison
Hey guys, was wondering if these were good A Levels for me if I want to take music at ideally conservatoire/music college - if not then I guess university but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

People say don't take drama but I think it helps for confidence in performing and people skills and I enjoy gcse (predicted a 7)
But would it be better to take psychology (probs what my 3rd a level would be if it wasn't drama)?

Thanks xx

I'm in Y12. Doing Drama with Politics, Economics, Maths and EPQ. Honestly Drama, whilst is a time commitment with rehearsals and attending live theatre, it is very fun and very rewarding, there is so much to get out of it, including boosting confidence as you mentioned. Also drama is a very easy subject to get to know people and due to a lot of the exercises you'll do, you'll probably feel much less awkward in drama than in other lessons.

Also the exams include together writing and performance, both vital to one of your other subjects. It is hard, I'm not going to sugatcoat that but there are no easy A-levels. I would really recommend taking Drama to anyone considering it but goodluck whatever you do.
Thanks very much! Think I will pick to do it anyway as I enjoy it, even though time might be a problem as music will run into my own time in terms of rehearsals too - but I enjoy them so hoping I'll be fine and get through it by that. Also think I'd prefer more work on terms of rehearsals than academic work or stuff I don't necessarily understand? I'm also kind of scared about the people aspect but hoping that it will be and I won't be too awkward trying to get to know people, but you're right once I've got into it I'm sure it won't be at all :smile: thank you!
Typo* will be fine

Also, how much do you think taking two arts subjects would affect my chances of getting into universities, in case I was unable to get into a conservatoire? Apparantly some unis don't like it when you take more than one, would you know which these are or is it not very common for them to think this?
Reply 4
Apparantly some unis don't like it when you take more than one

If you're applying for music, it's fine. I can't even imagine oxbridge rejecting you on the basis of having two.
Typo* will be fine

Also, how much do you think taking two arts subjects would affect my chances of getting into universities, in case I was unable to get into a conservatoire? Apparantly some unis don't like it when you take more than one, would you know which these are or is it not very common for them to think this?

There are a couple which don't particularly like it, I can't remember which off the top of my head and obviously you won't be able to do a physics degree with those A-levels, or any core science. However there's obviously Music and Drama which would be available to you. As would many humanities subjects like Law, Politics, Geography, Sociology etc. So it's not like 2 arts shuts you out of most courses at most unis, you should be fine even if you are unable to get into a conservatoire.
Original post by nzy
If you're applying for music, it's fine. I can't even imagine oxbridge rejecting you on the basis of having two.

Oh that's fine then, thanks!
Original post by Possibly this
There are a couple which don't particularly like it, I can't remember which off the top of my head and obviously you won't be able to do a physics degree with those A-levels, or any core science. However there's obviously Music and Drama which would be available to you. As would many humanities subjects like Law, Politics, Geography, Sociology etc. So it's not like 2 arts shuts you out of most courses at most unis, you should be fine even if you are unable to get into a conservatoire.

Oh cool yeah, I'm thinking I probably would do a regular university degree in music if I can't get in to do one at a conservatoire so in that case it sounds fine, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest