The Student Room Group

A levels

So i’m gonna be starting with A levels soon,I’ve already opted for economics and maths but can’t really decide which subject to go for as a third option...accounting or eng lit
I wish to study economics at university
Your suggestions would mean a lot
(edited 4 years ago)
what’s accounts?
english lit - it's fun. you can make your own experience with words and know what experience people trying to make for you. English is always used in society, good anti-depressant, naturally for you.
Original post by Courtney223
So i’m gonna be starting with A levels soon,I’ve already opted for economics and maths but can’t really decide which subject to go for as a third option...accounting or eng lit

I would go for accounting as it is a maths-based subject, like economics. However, do what you enjoy more.

Depends on what type of person you are academically. What kind of uni are you going to apply to? (The better the uni the more important your third subject matters). For the highly prestigious Econ unis Further Maths is recommended. I personally do Further Maths and Physics alongside Maths and Econ and I've applied for Econ at uni.

If your decision is out of English lit or accounting you could say either but English lit is probably a more respected a-level (only worry about which a-levels are respected if you want to go to somewhere like LSE). And crucially you must have some interest in whichever you choose.
(edited 4 years ago)
Pick whichever one you prefer- accounting is good for your course but English lit is really fun and will give you skills which will be useful in any job or degree
Reply 6
But i’ve heard accounts isn’t much preferred in top universities
Original post by ScoutLeopard
I would go for accounting as it is a maths-based subject, like economics. However, do what you enjoy more.
Reply 7
Well eng lit seems like a better option to me,I just want to make sure that it wouldn’t really matter if I dont opt for accounts because the coarse i’m gonna be taking isn’t accounting based?
Original post by I like bread
Depends on what type of person you are academically. What kind of uni are you going to apply to? (The better the uni the more important your third subject matters). For the highly prestigious Econ unis Further Maths is recommended. I personally do Further Maths and Physics alongside Maths and Econ and I've applied for Econ at uni.

If your decision is out of English lit or accounting you could say either but English lit is probably a more respected a-level (only worry about which a-levels are respected if you want to go to somewhere like LSE). And crucially you must have some interest in whichever you choose.

Im trying to pick alevels too so im probably not overly knowledgeable but from looking around I would say english lit because maths and economics are enough to get you on your course(for russell groups maybe further maths) so accounting wont add that much.Also, if you happen to change your interests and so career path you will be limited as both econ and accounting are for similar jobs sort of so english lit would be different and open up more doors it may also be a nice break from maths! But do what you enjoy most -good luck!
Well eng lit seems like a better option to me,I just want to make sure that it wouldn’t really matter if I dont opt for accounts because the coarse i’m gonna be taking isn’t accounting base

It's no problem not taking accounts. Tbh if you wanted to do anything accounting based you just must have maths, and preferably Econ I think. So I'd go eng lit if you prefer it or if you're 50/50. Up to you tho ofc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest