The Student Room Group

MOOC in personal statement

Hi, I've written about how I did a MOOC in my personal statement. But, I'm a little confused on how to phrase it. Is saying 'mooc' ok, or is there a better sounding way to describe it?
My current phrasing is 'i undertook a mooc in biochemistry'.
Thanks
Original post by oliviaaa98
Hi, I've written about how I did a MOOC in my personal statement. But, I'm a little confused on how to phrase it. Is saying 'mooc' ok, or is there a better sounding way to describe it?
My current phrasing is 'i undertook a mooc in biochemistry'.
Thanks

Looks fine to me, but you could just say "online course" instead of MOOC?
The better question is, where are you going with that statement? Remember in your PS you should aim for "show" not "tell". Don't just list things related to your subject area that you've done - show what you specifically got out of it and how it particularly furthered or developed your own interests in the area. Anyone can do a MOOC - only you can explain how you experienced it and took away from that experience.

"I completed a MOOC" or equivalent should be fine though, as the admissions tutors should understand what that means. Remember it's an acronym so each letter should be capitalized. Debate as to whether it should be "a MOOC" or "an MOOC" I will leave to the grammarians :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)
Quick question, but is it helpful getting a certificate for the MOOCS that you do( you have to pay extra)?
Original post by studybelle
Quick question, but is it helpful getting a certificate for the MOOCS that you do( you have to pay extra)?

Not unless you need additional qualifications to be eligible for entry to a degree (in which case you’d be better off taking OU modules).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending