The Student Room Group

University of Manchester Rejected Optometry

Hi guys,

I’m writing this because I feel like I’ve been misled by the university. I’m doing an access course to get into optometry and Manchester was my first choice. I phoned them prior to applying and explained what my situation was and they said everything was fine.

I had to leave sixth form in December because I was suffering from a medical condition, but still decided to take two a levels last minute. I got C and an E in them and decided to take the access route. So far, I’ve got offers from Bristol, Bradford and Plymouth but was rejected from Manchester because I didn’t get “BBC” in my first a level sitting.

This baffles me because 1) I phoned them and they said it was ok to apply. 2) it clearly shows on UCAS I’ve taken two a levels, 3) If I got BBC in my a levels, I would clearly be retaking an a level right now and not doing an access course.

They also took 6 weeks to respond to my UCAS. Do you think there is a way they can reconsider. They don’t mention anything to do with a levels other than they dont take on access course students educated upto GCSE level. meet all other entry requirements. Someone please help me.
Reply 1
??
Original post by Alex018
Hi guys,

I’m writing this because I feel like I’ve been misled by the university. I’m doing an access course to get into optometry and Manchester was my first choice. I phoned them prior to applying and explained what my situation was and they said everything was fine.

I had to leave sixth form in December because I was suffering from a medical condition, but still decided to take two a levels last minute. I got C and an E in them and decided to take the access route. So far, I’ve got offers from Bristol, Bradford and Plymouth but was rejected from Manchester because I didn’t get “BBC” in my first a level sitting.

This baffles me because 1) I phoned them and they said it was ok to apply. 2) it clearly shows on UCAS I’ve taken two a levels, 3) If I got BBC in my a levels, I would clearly be retaking an a level right now and not doing an access course.

They also took 6 weeks to respond to my UCAS. Do you think there is a way they can reconsider. They don’t mention anything to do with a levels other than they dont take on access course students educated upto GCSE level. meet all other entry requirements. Someone please help me.

Hi, I know it's 2 months too late. But I had the exact same problem with Manchester Uni, I rang prior and then got rejected for the same reason, wasting one of my 5 options.

One of my classmates had a similar issue, but they are currently resitting the Maths Alevel as well as the access course. If they get an A then the offer still stands.
How did you get on?

Quick Reply

Latest