The Student Room Group

Confused about A-level options - Maths or EPQ?

Hello.
Sorry this is a long one.
I'm in the process of choosing my A-level options and my school only allows us to take 3 subjects. I'm considering going into law and my top choices are History, English Literature and French. I've heard some top unis like some proof of analytical ability so many law students tend to take Maths and my school offers Maths AS which is examined at the end of year 13. I don't know whether to do that or swap out one subject and take a full Maths A-level. Instead of doing the Maths AS I also have the option to do an EPQ. I've been advised by some teachers to take Maths AS instead of the EPQ because English and History already include lots of essay writing but I've heard that an EPQ is generally better to undertake than an AS level.
Does anyone have any advice?
Many thanks :smile:
I wouldn't take Maths simply because you've heard that some unis prefer it as trust me, A Level Maths is a big step up from GCSE and is more about concepts than analysis per se. If you have your heart set on taking an 'analytical' subject for the sake of it then Chemistry may be your best option. Of your 3 preferred A Levels, French would be the one to swap out in my opinion as there is no real benefit to taking it if you wish to study Law.
EPQ- wise, it can be beneficial if you do an extended essay, perhaps on a law-related topic, to demonstrate your passion for the subject. If you still wish to demonstrate analytical skills then perhaps undertake a MOOC in Statistics as this is really the only part of Maths A Level relevant to Law.

Quick Reply

Latest