The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hana24
Anybody going to the Hull applicant day on the 7th March?

Yeah!
Reply 181
Can I choose my accommodation to be in Hull or to be in York? And if so how do I do that?
Original post by yednap
Can I choose my accommodation to be in Hull or to be in York? And if so how do I do that?

When you receive an offer you get allocated to either Hull or York campus, they tend to take things like where you currently live etc into consideration before allocating you.
Reply 183
Original post by MaddieGill
When you receive an offer you get allocated to either Hull or York campus, they tend to take things like where you currently live etc into consideration before allocating you.

Thanks for your reply! How long does it typically take for that to come through?
Reply 184
Original post by MaddieGill

Not really, it's random allocation unless you filled out a priority campus allocation form before the deadline in January
Reply 185
Original post by yednap
Thanks for your reply! How long does it typically take for that to come through?

You should've been told which campus you were allocated to when you received your email confirming your offer
I asked about swapping campus and they made me fill out a form. they said that I’ll find out in August if I can swap so I hope it’s a yes. really want to go to york:frown: does anyone know when you start applying for accom
Reply 187
Original post by annoymous_
I asked about swapping campus and they made me fill out a form. they said that I’ll find out in August if I can swap so I hope it’s a yes. really want to go to york:frown: does anyone know when you start applying for accom

Same here! There should be a couple of people who want to go to Hull as well, and not everyone accepts their offer for HYMS and they could've been allocated to York so that'll reduce the places there as well :smile: You can start applying for accommodation now, but you have to do it at the uni you're allocated to for now, not the one you want to go to.
Reply 188

I wanted to swap to Hull and got the same reply saying that it depends if in August they have any spaces. The only down side is that I won’t be able to apply for accommodation in Hull. I wouldn’t be able to pick which accommodation i want to go to. It’s like getting in through clearing. You might not even find a room in student halls.
Reply 189
Original post by MZT_56
I wanted to swap to Hull and got the same reply saying that it depends if in August they have any spaces. The only down side is that I won’t be able to apply for accommodation in Hull. I wouldn’t be able to pick which accommodation i want to go to. It’s like getting in through clearing. You might not even find a room in student halls.

That's not necessarily true - not all the accommodation will be full and people who apply to certain halls that you want to go to may be going to York, so that's a space you could fill. Honestly don't worry about it, it's more likely they'll be able to sort something out for you that you like. Even if it doesn't go according to plan, it's only for a year because you'll have to reapply to student accommodation anyway
Original post by tsdz
That's not necessarily true - not all the accommodation will be full and people who apply to certain halls that you want to go to may be going to York, so that's a space you could fill. Honestly don't worry about it, it's more likely they'll be able to sort something out for you that you like. Even if it doesn't go according to plan, it's only for a year because you'll have to reapply to student accommodation anyway

Aw I hope if I do get to move to York I can choose my accom cause the whole prospect of halls is very scary to me. I don’t think I’d be able to survive in a hall that doesn’t have an en-suite. I’ve tried before on a school trips and ncs and I can’t live like that for a year
Reply 191
Original post by MZT_56

Shifting to Hull you should be ok with accommodation. They at present seem to have an oversupply of university student halls on account of the new Westfield residences. Which are so close to Med school, you role out of bed straight into lectures.
Reply 192
Aw I hope if I do get to move to York I can choose my accom cause the whole prospect of halls is very scary to me. I don’t think I’d be able to survive in a hall that doesn’t have an en-suite. I’ve tried before on a school trips and ncs and I can’t live like that for a year

I hope we both do haha! And I get you, but all of Hull accommodation has ensuite bathrooms anyway except Taylor Court I think, and is basically the same price as the Courtyard and Westfield Court. All their accommodation is brand new and honestly it's really nice, so I don't think that's a defining factor. How come you want to be allocated to York anyway?
Original post by tsdz
I hope we both do haha! And I get you, but all of Hull accommodation has ensuite bathrooms anyway except Taylor Court I think, and is basically the same price as the Courtyard and Westfield Court. All their accommodation is brand new and honestly it's really nice, so I don't think that's a defining factor. How come you want to be allocated to York anyway?

It’ll be way easier for me cause it’s only an hour away when Hull is 2. That’s the main reason anyway but idk if I want to go york anymore cause of the stress of accom and the fact its mixed gender flats
Reply 194
It’ll be way easier for me cause it’s only an hour away when Hull is 2. That’s the main reason anyway but idk if I want to go york anymore cause of the stress of accom and the fact its mixed gender flats

Yeah I get that, that's the main reason why I want to go to York. I'm more familiar with York as well compared to Hull. Pretty sure Hull has mixed gender flats too but I'm not sure, but you can ask to be placed on a single sex floor, whatever your reason is. If it's religious reasons then they should be able to respect that, and I'm sure you can ask the same for York.
Original post by tsdz
Yeah I get that, that's the main reason why I want to go to York. I'm more familiar with York as well compared to Hull. Pretty sure Hull has mixed gender flats too but I'm not sure, but you can ask to be placed on a single sex floor, whatever your reason is. If it's religious reasons then they should be able to respect that, and I'm sure you can ask the same for York.

Thank you for saying that, makes me feel slightly less anxious
Reply 196

Hull has mixed gender flats. Do not this for a fact but I’d imagine you can request single gender and they would try to accommodate if possible.
Original post by HPAG
Hull has mixed gender flats. Do not this for a fact but I’d imagine you can request single gender and they would try to accommodate if possible.

Yeah but it’s more likely I could apply for a single gender flat at Hull and get it than york because I would be applying one month before deadline when most places would be taken at York
Reply 198
Yeah but it’s more likely I could apply for a single gender flat at Hull and get it than york because I would be applying one month before deadline when most places would be taken at York

True. Hull residences, specifically Westfield are new. The others are mostly recently refurbished. You can even opt to stay in campus residences for the second year as they have sufficient spaces. I am not aware if this option is available in York.
What is the procedure to swap campuses?

Latest

Trending

Trending