The Student Room Group

should I study law at sussex or swansea university? is law llb even worth it?

Hi

I have unconditionals from both swansea and sussex university (ABB at A level), which one would be better. I am hoping to become a solicitor afterwards.

and my second problem is it even worth going to either for Law llb? they are around 30 in league tables and law is a competitive field, that rewards oxbridge and russel group.
whilst I am interested in it and looking forward, it seems like it would be much easier for me to go do business, economics or computer science on clearing which is less work and less risky. ive only read negative things on here about law.
Law firms are working hard to be more inclusive of universities, and I am led to believe that the new SQE will also mean that there is greater diversification. Some firms have A Level requirements which are usually in the range of ABB-AAB. Of course, some of the US firms will be a bit more Oxbridge-y, but I don't think that this should put you off a law degree. If it is what you are geniunely interested in law then I hope that you will follow that!
Reply 2
your op is very confusing. what negative reviews have you heard about law? about a law degree or about the pursuit of a legal career?

law isn't a risky degree. there's tonnes of things you can do with a law degree, some of which have nothing to do with law and i would say no more risky than the other three you mentioned. or do you mean you would pursue another profession with a non-law degree? is the only value in an LLB to you a TC when you're 22?

those other degrees might be less work; you might be right there if that's what's putting you off law. bearing in mind, there's 100+ LLBs in the UK and they aren't all the same. i know a flatmate last year and i both studied law, but at different unis. her degree was vastly different to mine. i also haven't studied at sussex or swansea so who knows what their programmes are like. if you're seeing negative reviews, it's coming from a subjective place. i would study law till i pass away if i could, but that's just my perspective. if your 'negative review' is about the pursuit of a legal career with an LLB tho and you're not willing to work in the industry without a TC then i would say do something else. it doesn't seem you're interested enough to do three years LLB.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by you_alt_right?
Hi

I have unconditionals from both swansea and sussex university (ABB at A level), which one would be better. I am hoping to become a solicitor afterwards.

and my second problem is it even worth going to either for Law llb? they are around 30 in league tables and law is a competitive field, that rewards oxbridge and russel group.
whilst I am interested in it and looking forward, it seems like it would be much easier for me to go do business, economics or computer science on clearing which is less work and less risky. ive only read negative things on here about law.

I don't really know what you mean by "better" - if you are talking about prestige then with achieved grades of ABB you probably could have applied to slightly more competitive unis like Cardiff, Exeter, Lancaster, Newcastle or Southampton, but they are decent enough unis.

Between those two, it will boil down to personal preference on things like location and which one has a better feel to you at Open Days/Applicant Days.
Original post by you_alt_right?
Hi

Well either way if you do take Llb or a different degree if you still want to be a solicitor you will need to take a qualification in law such as the lpc if you don't do a llb. Taking a business,economics or computer science degree wont be less work or easier all degrees are hard. I am myself going to do llb with politics at uni and I have done tones of research and had many discussion with people on tsr and I havent encountered any negativity. If I were you I would sit down and write down why you want to study law and why you dont and for the other degrees your considering. (Although slightly biased) Llb is a course with millions a benefits such as the revelence it has think about it the law is all around us its applied to everything we do and also the broad range of skills you can take from the course. Also many courses involve a module where you work in a law firm which would help you when applying to law firms as you said you want to be a solicitor and also it will help you gain connections within the industry through mixers the university hold and speaker that may come in etc.
I meant diversity in terms of universities if I didn't make that clear enough. I was on a work experience programme at a law firm over the summer holidays and it was their suggestion that the use of a standardised exam across all applicants would level out the playing field, meaning that ability would trump name prestige etc. I say 'led' because its just word of mouth and I haven't really looked into the SQE too too much as I'm a leaning more towards the Bar (though am also yet to start uni :tongue:). If you think it's misleading then I invite you to correct me/them!
It was one of the bigger players outside of London but they were trainees who probably aren't very invested in the SQE and by the sounds of it had they done very much research. Thanks for being so informative though!
Reply 7
Just saying (before you call more people idiots) the new SQE won't affect people entering uni this year or next year. It's not about the year you graduate but the year you enter. That's why I'll be fine even though I'm doing a year abroad course
On the time issue I believe if you start the GDL or a law degree in September 2020 you will be under the existing system. If you start a non law degree in Sepember 2020 you will be under the new system unless the dates are pushed back yet again.

So I suspect someone deciding now whether to choose an LLB or a different non law degree who wants to be under the existing system will find the LLB choice may be their only route to sticking with the current qualification system.

See https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/04/struggling-to-understand-how-the-sqe-will-affect-you-this-handy-new-calculator-is-here-to-help/

https://www.barbri-international.com/sqe/calculator/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending