The Student Room Group

Experiences to add to PS English Lit and/or Music Management BA

Can anybody recommend any activities/experiences to add to my personal statement, preferably to do with an English Lit and/or Music Management undergraduate course?

I know they are two completely different subjects, but I am completely torn about what one to do.. if I could do both I would, but sadly I can't as no university that do both offers it as a combination. So I hope that the suggestions would help me decide.

TIA
Reply 1
I don't know too much about music if I'm being honest.
This isn't an activity but If you want to link the two you could go into something like comparing song lyrics to poetry. If you do want to apply for a mix of both courses you need to be really clear on why you enjoy both in order for your statement to work.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it is possible to make a convincing personal statement with both, so I would recommend choosing one, but you might be able to make it work.

I know Kent used to have a course with both, so maybe you could find one elsewhere. (https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2015/853/music-and-english-and-american-literature).

In terms of english, I would say activities like debate club or mun can be linked to it, or writing for a school paper, even something like being part of a school play or an extended essay you had to write for english class. You could also look into taking an online class if that interests you. Since english is not an exact science you can mention a lot of things, as long as you properly link it.

What I did is that I focused more on why I enjoyed the subject and used activities as evidence to back up certain aspects.
So for example you could say you find it interesting that the metre of certain poems match their content and link that to a school musical or music class and song (if you want to mention music haha). Or you find the power the english language can have interesting and link that to something like mun.

hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending