The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

Studying law- questions

Hi,

I’m in my final year of studying law. Please feel free to ask any questions about the degree below :-)
Reply 1
how do you view the school and program in general ? I got into the senior status law program (2 years) and i'm still undecided. What are the teaching styles like ? are there a lot of group projects/presentations ?
Do you feel you could have gone to a different university ?
I am Canadian and they have classes on Canadian law which is a plus since I plan on returning to canada after studying.
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
Hey, could you tell me what the work load is like and whether the university of Law is a 'recognised' university in the Law industry please?
Hi @gegus

So you study 3 modules each term, with 2 terms a year (like most other Uni’s).

Each week you have one seminar and one lecture for each module. I love the seminars because it involves a lot of group work and interacting- we use white boards a lot. There’s around 10 of us per seminar so it’s nice and small and gives me time to ask as many questions as I need! The lectures are like any other lectures at any Uni, however they are smaller (around 100-150 students).

There are no exams that involve group presentations on my course so it’s either oral exams, written exams or coursework. The oral exams are where you have to do a presentation where you pretend to be a solicitor and present a case in front of the examiner.

I personally like my uni because it’s small so I have time to ask the teachers questions so I wouldn’t change uni!

Yes we have a few Canadian options (I haven’t taken any)

Hope this has helped :-)
Hey @Chandler11

So for each module you have preparatory reading and preparatory tasks to complete before each seminar. It depends on the weeks how long it takes me but it is usually around 2-3 hours for each module (you study 3 at a time so 9 hours a week).

Obviously this can change depending on your options; this term I am taking one exam module and doing a research project (equivalent of a dissertation) so I only have 2- 3 hours a week of preparatory reading / tasks to do. I complete my research project within my own time and on my own time schedule.

The University is recognised with a lot of firms as it has strong links to them, however it is not a Russell Group university if that’s what you mean!

Hope this has helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending