The Student Room Group

75 years ago today....

The allies completely annihilated Dresden.
Carnage. 25,000 civilians killed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Controversial even today
mission accomplished :h:
Original post by the bear
mission accomplished :h:

were u on tsr back then
Original post by Sharpshooter
The allies completely annihilated Dresden.
Carnage. 25,000 civilians killed.

Yes, it was an act that was deemed necessary by Winston Churchill, no one has ever been able to explain the legitimacy of the bombing, it had no real impact on the war. The city held no strategic importance for both sides of the war, the city was far away from the front lines and had very little shelter from bombs.
Some pictures and videos I’ve seen of it are horrible, disgusting
death is so ugly
Original post by MoonlightRain
death is so ugly

It really is, take it from me firsthand experience
Reply 8
Original post by Greywolftwo
Some pictures and videos I’ve seen of it are horrible, disgusting

Yeah, it never sat right with me. Awful thing.
I think a lot of people are quick to jump on their high horses and say the evils that the Germans committed during the war, when not many know of the Dresden firestorm. This was definitely a great unnecessary evil, I’m not even a pacifist
the German people brought this catastrophe on themselves.
Original post by gjd800
Yeah, it never sat right with me. Awful thing.

I’ve seen footage of a bunker that was discovered weeks after the bombing. Workers smelled a horrible stench of death, humans had been completely dissolved after they had been trapped in a shelter
Reply 12
I’ve seen footage of a bunker that was discovered weeks after the bombing. Workers smelled a horrible stench of death, humans had been completely dissolved after they had been trapped in a shelter

ugh, that is bleak
Original post by the bear
the German people brought this catastrophe on themselves.

How? It was a city that did very little to contribute to the war effort, Hitler did this on purpose because he wanted to protect its cultural value, he didn’t want to make it a target
Original post by gjd800
ugh, that is bleak

It’s on Netflix, World War Two stories in colour
Reply 15
It’s on Netflix, World War Two stories in colour

Oh cheers, will add it to the list!
Dresden is the number one city I want to visit out of all in the world, so sad that this happened but the people came together and rebuilt it, war is horrible and many things happen that are horrific and without a reasonable excuse, yes to some it might of seemed necessary but we can't change the past just hope it doesn't happen again.
Original post by Max1989
Dresden is the number one city I want to visit out of all in the world, so sad that this happened but the people came together and rebuilt it, war is horrible and many things happen that are horrific and without a reasonable excuse, yes to some it might of seemed necessary but we can't change the past just hope it doesn't happen again.

Most likely will happen again, history always repeats itself, empires rise and fall, evil prevails then quashed by the ‘righteous’ hand of man often through evil is evil defeated although it may not be evil sometimes. I just think that it’s never okay to target civilians on purpose.
How? It was a city that did very little to contribute to the war effort, Hitler did this on purpose because he wanted to protect its cultural value, he didn’t want to make it a target

The capital city of Saxony state was the second largest city on the River Elbe, designated by the Nazis as a defensive strongpoint against Stalin's Soviet forces and a major base for the manufacture of opticals.
A manufacturing and communications centre commandeered by the some of Hitler's favourite henchmen, with nearby military targets and over 100 factories producing useful to the Nazi war effort.

Over three decades after the end of WW2, Sir Arthur Harris chief of RAF Bomber Command gave a video interview in which he defended the decision to reduce much of Dresden to flames and rubble.
Declaring, "I would do the same again.... The bombers kept over a million fit Germans out of the German army… Manning the anti-aircraft defences; making the ammunition, and doing urgent repairs."
Original post by londonmyst
The capital city of Saxony state was the second largest city on the River Elbe, designated by the Nazis as a defensive strongpoint against Stalin's Soviet forces and a major base for the manufacture of opticals.
A manufacturing and communications centre commandeered by the some of Hitler's favourite henchmen, with nearby military targets and over 100 factories producing useful to the Nazi war effort.

Over three decades after the end of WW2, Sir Arthur Harris chief of RAF Bomber Command gave a video interview in which he defended the decision to reduce much of Dresden to flames and rubble.
Declaring, "I would do the same again.... The bombers kept over a million fit Germans out of the German army… Manning the anti-aircraft defences; making the ammunition, and doing urgent repairs."

They produced clothing mainly as well as opticals, by opticals that’s like periscopes and such, doesn’t really have much value for the German war effort.

A lot of Hitlers henchmen were there because of the culture and the fact that it was peaceful

Quick Reply

Latest