The Student Room Group

GOGSoc Episode VIII: I'm a surviva!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noodlzzz
Guyssss....

My supervisor wants me to add them on Instagram (an account about my field not cat memes and breakfast pics :wink: ) and my instagram is all architecture based so nothing personal or inappropriate, but I just feel uneasy doing it but don’t want to let them down :/

Advice?

How come you feel uneasy? I think if it's not a personal account but more about work-related stuff, it should be OK :smile: Though your supervisor sounds nice so I think if you politely said you'd rather not, they wouldn't get offended! :yes:

My LA supervisor is very boundaried and doesn't add current students onto her social media, but my internal supervisor friend requested me on Facebook and it was awkward af hah. I put her on Limited Profile for a while but felt mean. So she can now see everything that all my other friends can see. She keeps commenting on posts too :facepalm:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
How come you feel uneasy? I think if it's not a personal account but more about work-related stuff, it should be OK :smile: Though your supervisor sounds nice so I think if you politely said you'd rather not, they wouldn't get offended! :yes:

My LA supervisor is very boundaried and doesn't add current students onto her social media, but my internal supervisor friend requested me on Facebook and it was awkward af hah. I put her on Limited Profile for a while but felt mean. So she can now see everything that all my other friends can see. She keeps commenting on posts too :facepalm:

I decided to add supervisor :smile:

And omg, that sounds incredibly awkward with Facebook! I have the same with my twitter where I actively tweet about psych hospitals (and a lot of moaning about not doing work for weeks at end because of MH) and couldn't think of anything worse than my supervisor seeing and commenting! :tongue:
Original post by Noodlzzz
I decided to add supervisor :smile:

And omg, that sounds incredibly awkward with Facebook! I have the same with my twitter where I actively tweet about psych hospitals (and a lot of moaning about not doing work for weeks at end because of MH) and couldn't think of anything worse than my supervisor seeing and commenting! :tongue:

I mean, I don't mind too much about my supervisor being on my Facebook. The only thing I've become self-conscious about is sharing former posts where I've gone on about how much I love my LA supervisor :colondollar:
Reply 83
I am friends with my former supervisors on social media - but then, I basically only ever post research-related stuff there anyways, and mostly use them to network with other academics. Any personal information etc. goes in private messages directly to family/friends, so for me it wasn't an issue. It's different with MA students though, when I was one, I wasn't "friends" with any staff who might have to mark my work, and I hold it the same now that I am on the other side. BA/MA students, nope, PhD students and staff, yes.
Just make absolutely sure you don't do what a fellow PhD student did, request a deadline extension for a piece of writing due to ill health, and then post photos on FB where you are friends with your supervisor - of yourself partying and drinking. That didn't go down all too well.
Original post by Anndee
Just make absolutely sure you don't do what a fellow PhD student did, request a deadline extension for a piece of writing due to ill health, and then post photos on FB where you are friends with your supervisor - of yourself partying and drinking. That didn't go down all too well.

:eek: :headfire: :toofunny:

Oh dear... :teehee:
Original post by Anndee

Oooh nooo! How mortifying!

When I was working, I made a point of not adding any of my colleagues on Facebook until after I had officially left, just in case I ever felt the need to moan about my job! One of my colleagues wasn't so lucky - she had added everyone, and they saw photos of her doing dress rehearsals for a play she was in when she was meant to be ill at home! She got a verbal warning about that I believe.
Hi guys,

Long time lurker here :wink:

I'm starting a PhD in August (or at least becoming a research fellow - registration with the uni to follow within about six months or so) and have just been sent some pre-reading by my supervisor. Any tips on how to record your notes on what you read early on to be able to refer back to later when writing? Annotated PDFs? Zotero? Spreadsheets??
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Hi guys,

I'm starting a PhD in August (or at least becoming a research fellow - registration with the uni to follow within about six months or so) and have just been sent some pre-reading by my supervisor. Any tips on how to record your notes on what you read early on to be able to refer back to later when writing? Annotated PDFs? Zotero? Spreadsheets??

:hi:

I'm just very basic, I just have hundreds of Word documents floating around my laptop :colondollar: I attended a research training seminar which suggested something called the Cornell method (or something like that), for concise notetaking that can pretty much go directly into the thesis. I haven't boiled down my copious amounts of notes to the format myself yet, but I attach the template I was given here in case it's helpful :redface:
Hi guys,

Exciting about the PhD news!

I use PDFs annotated on my iPad and then make sure they’re easy to link to my reference manager ( which I only started using this year. Yup, 8 years of copy and paste from google scholar!!)
Hi guys,

I use a combination of an Excel spreadsheet with as few columns as possible (so it isn't too intimidating when I revisit it!), Zotero as my reference manager - it can take a while to set up as you like it but it's so worth the effort for instant citations and bibliographies, and themed Word docs with bullet points.
Hi guys,

I recognise you! Hi :smile: How are you doing? Exciting news about the PhD! What happened to medicine or are you doing this alongside?

I used Mendeley for my reference manager
Reply 91
Hi guys,

Long time! Hope you're well :smile:

I found annotated PDFs worked for me, in combination with spreadsheets (helped me during the lit review period). Mendeley also has a annotation option, but personally I wasn't a fan
Reply 92
Hi guys,

Hi, and congratulations on starting the PhD soon! As for making notes, I'd recommend trying a few different options early on because everybody works so differently. I went to a training event where they were all into Zotero, so I did try in my first few weeks, but for me it didn't work at all. In the end, I kept hand-written notes, but with a filing system so I could easily find them again. But then, none of the established digital note-taking systems support runes, so for me, writing them by hand or making quick sketches of inscriptions, their objects, or even certain runes was way quicker than trying to get any software tool to work ...

Yesterday, without prior warning, my university sent out an email to all students that all graduations for this year are cancelled. Not postponed, but just cancelled. There is no virtual option, and there is no option to defer to next year's graduations. They are forcing everybody who has finished or is going to finish this year to graduate in absentia, and all they offer instead is a congratulatory letter from the principal, and possibly, at some point in the future, a smaller/local "celebration of achievement". Some BA students were in tears, and all the uni replied in rather tone-deaf, copy-pasted social media posts was that they had to comply with rules. So how did other universities manage to postpone instead of cancelling? Most of my cohort would have been happy to wait until it is safe to have large events again, but once you have graduated in absentia, you obviously can't have another graduation. I don't think I'll be able to justify to myself the expense of travelling back to my uni location for a small "celebration of achievement". Garden party at home it is, I guess ...
Original post by Anndee
Yesterday, without prior warning, my university sent out an email to all students that all graduations for this year are cancelled. Not postponed, but just cancelled. There is no virtual option, and there is no option to defer to next year's graduations. They are forcing everybody who has finished or is going to finish this year to graduate in absentia, and all they offer instead is a congratulatory letter from the principal, and possibly, at some point in the future, a smaller/local "celebration of achievement". Some BA students were in tears, and all the uni replied in rather tone-deaf, copy-pasted social media posts was that they had to comply with rules. So how did other universities manage to postpone instead of cancelling? Most of my cohort would have been happy to wait until it is safe to have large events again, but once you have graduated in absentia, you obviously can't have another graduation. I don't think I'll be able to justify to myself the expense of travelling back to my uni location for a small "celebration of achievement". Garden party at home it is, I guess ...

Wow. Just wow. I don't even have words for how **** that is. Even my stupid uni has said they'll postpone/that people can defer graduations. How heartbreaking for everyone involved. I'm so sorry. After all that hard work, you deserved to be able to go out with a bang and celebrate in style :frown:

:jumphug:
Original post by Anndee
Hi, and congratulations on starting the PhD soon! As for making notes, I'd recommend trying a few different options early on because everybody works so differently. I went to a training event where they were all into Zotero, so I did try in my first few weeks, but for me it didn't work at all. In the end, I kept hand-written notes, but with a filing system so I could easily find them again. But then, none of the established digital note-taking systems support runes, so for me, writing them by hand or making quick sketches of inscriptions, their objects, or even certain runes was way quicker than trying to get any software tool to work ...

Ah man that is unbelievably **** and such a cold way to respond. I would have been in tears too with the undergrads!
Original post by Anndee

Omg that sucks! It must be especially hard for people whose only graduation ceremony ever would have been this year. I'm so sorry to hear that, especially after all the hard work you've put in. :console:
That's awful :frown: I'm really sorry for you and the other students that they've said that... Is it worth organising a petition or complaining to the SU?
Reply 97
Original post by Anndee

Damn, that's really ****ty of them on so many levels ... Leeds have said that even though we'll be graduating in absentia, the actual celebration and stuff will be moved to the next academic year. The big advantage for this in my head is that I won't have to worry about losing my certificate. But if they didn't even offer an alternative, damn that's cold
So finally. 12 years after joining TSR. 7 years after effectively leaving TSR. I can FINALLY justifiably post in GOGSoc.

Spoiler

Also hello SlowBro, I remember you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending