The Student Room Group

Chelsea F.C. Thread IX

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Also to add to this, I think Lampard generally had the right tactics. Some issues with squad selection and execution but we're literally a mid table team playing the champions league winners of last season in a two legged tie, you're obviously going to do a contain job at the bernabeu and try to get a goal or two at the bridge.

He probably changes structure to 3-4-3 if we don't get the red card. The red card obviously kills the game and his subs from there is just a case of him trying to stay in the tie.
Wow another defeat for Chelsea. This is an embarrassing season for them. The big problem is that they have too many players. Every manager who has come in has chopped and changed. The team playing today was completely different to the one in the Champions League. They actually have some really good players in several positions apart from a striker.

Also feel really bad for Harry Kane and Son. Tottenham lost to Bournemouth 3-2 with a 98th minute.
Anytime I feel sad at the state of Liverpool FC... Chelsea always delivers. Chelsea, the best anti-depressants in the league!
@bj27 what happened? You're always making fun of Liverpool losing to Real Madrid but Chelsea looked like they would struggle to fight their way out of a wet paper bag in comparison.

Did you even manage a shot on target?

Lampard doing a great job with 4 out of 4! No wait that's 4 losses in his first 4 games.. oops

:dice:
Reply 1984
didn't read lol
Original post by Barbu
Anytime I feel sad at the state of Liverpool FC... Chelsea always delivers. Chelsea, the best anti-depressants in the league!

So true. Sacked Lampard to engage Tuchel, sacked Tuchel who got removed by Potter just to sack this manager to get Lampard back again. A team with no plan and patience. The elimination in Champions League serve them right.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
So true. Sacked Lampard to engage Tuchel, sacked Tuchel who got removed by Potter just to sack this manager to get Lampard back again. A team with no plan and patience. The elimination in Champions League serve them right.

It's not uncommon for new owners to come in and appoint a manager of their choice. Also Lampard is an interim coach until the summer only so not a real appointment.
Reply 1987
Been that long since anyone posted here, couldn’t even find the thread.

Lovely little scam Chelsea have got going on with Saudi Arabia, absolutely destroying any potential FFP issues.

Absolutely no problem with Chelsea doing it but where have all the moralisers in the papers gone, who were banging on about the Newcastle takeover. Chelsea now benefitting and taking money from a murderous regime who were the architects of 9/11 but not one note in the press.

Now to be clear, I don’t really have a problem with SA buying Newcastle, as the moralising of ownership has long gone, so nobody has a leg to stand on, but if a journalist is going to bang on about the Newcastle takeover, they should be doing the same thing about Chelsea profiteering off the same regime.

Edit: just to be clear for anyone who doesn’t realise, 60% of Clearlake’s funds, who own Chelsea, is provided by Saudi Arabia, so essentially they are self-funding the transfers.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1988
Original post by Mess.

Lovely little scam Chelsea have got going on with Saudi Arabia, absolutely destroying any potential FFP issues.

Absolutely no problem with Chelsea doing it but where have all the moralisers in the papers gone, who were banging on about the Newcastle takeover. Chelsea now benefitting and taking money from a murderous regime who were the architects of 9/11 but not one note in the press.

Now to be clear, I don’t really have a problem with SA buying Newcastle, as the moralising of ownership has long gone, so nobody has a leg to stand on, but if a journalist is going to bang on about the Newcastle takeover, they should be doing the same thing about Chelsea profiteering off the same regime.

Edit: just to be clear for anyone who doesn’t realise, 60% of Clearlake’s funds, who own Chelsea, is provided by Saudi Arabia, so essentially they are self-funding the transfers.

Surprised Zerf ain't posting this and crying on this thread tbh.

My answer to this is cry more.

Doesn't matter because we won't buy who we need try to buy a new team in a year again and wonder why we're still ****.

Somehow kepa is still playing.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Mess.

Let’s be honest most people who watch sport don’t care about the politics and where the money comes from as long as it’s entertaining and money is being pumped in.

Great to see Saudi Arabia making big moves in football now following several other sports. These Saudi sheiks aren’t messing around.
Original post by bj27

Doesn't matter because we won't buy who we need try to buy a new team in a year again and wonder why we're still ****.

I read somewhere here that Chelsea are looking for a new goalkeeper. Mendy cost a fair amount and Kepa is the most expensive goalkeeper in the world. Surely Pochetino should choose one and that should be good enough.

Chelsea selling Havertz to Arsenal makes great sense for Chelsea. Havertz is a quality player but more suited to Spain / Italy / France over England. I think it might be a bad move by Arteta and Edu.
Havertz is awful. Starting to have serious doubts about Arteta again...
Original post by bj27

Cry about what? I expect UEFA will make up new rules after this window has closed (once the little horse has bolted) to stop whatever nonsense Chelsea are doing this window with Saudi money to avoid FFP breaches.

No doubt Chelsea can spend another 600mil this window after the Saudi money comes in.

But who can care too much about a club that finished in 12th place?

I see the Nkunku transfer has been announced now. Another promising striker for Chelsea to ruin.

I imagine he signed a 8 year deal too but Chelsea can only amortize over the 5 years now after the new rules kicked in.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1992
Original post by Zerforax
Cry about what? I expect UEFA will make up new rules after this window has closed (once the little horse has bolted) to stop whatever nonsense Chelsea are doing this window with Saudi money to avoid FFP breaches.

No doubt Chelsea can spend another 600mil this window after the Saudi money comes in.

But who can care too much about a club that finished in 12th place?

I see the Nkunku transfer has been announced now. Another promising striker for Chelsea to ruin.

I imagine he signed a 8 year deal too but Chelsea can only amortize over the 5 years now after the new rules kicked in.

We are the little horse and imagine crying about saudi money when you guys are trying to get bought out by a state as we speak.

Exactly why are you commenting on an irrelevant midtable team that doesn't have the resources to compete at the top unlike Liverpool.

52M hardly anything, if we amortize over 5 years it's like 10M a season.
Original post by bj27
We are the little horse and imagine crying about saudi money when you guys are trying to get bought out by a state as we speak.

Exactly why are you commenting on an irrelevant midtable team that doesn't have the resources to compete at the top unlike Liverpool.

52M hardly anything, if we amortize over 5 years it's like 10M a season.

Pretty sure FSG are just looking for some additional investment - probably more Americans.

Funny how you're being funded by a state despite being owned by a mad American.

Well you mentioned me so thought you wanted my attention :colondollar:

Haha if Chelsea don't have resources, then what about all the other clubs in the world (excluding the handful of state owned ones)? Fully expecting another 600mil to be spent this summer by Chelsea. You're only 1/10th of the way there with Nkunku.

Well it's more when you add on that 100mil striker who's been on loan and all the other transfers..
I thought Chelsea would be over the barrel a bit with FFP and needing sales..

Instead it looks like Koulibaly, Ziyech and Mendy will go to the Saudi league for about £50mil
Havertz to Arsenal for £60mil
Kovavic to Man City for £25mil

Some tidy fees, good amount of wages off the books and reduce numbers in a bloated squad.

Sounds like a good start to the window for Chelsea.
Reply 1995
If Chelsea don't win the title next season it's a failure
Reply 1996
Original post by AR_95
If Arsenal don't win the title next season it's a failure

agree
Original post by AR_95

Okay, Chelsea is a failure officially now. I just tell the bitter truth, but an entire year before.
Original post by AR_95

Arsenal with the bigger net spend (even more than Chelsea) over the last 3 seasons..

Surely it's a failure if Arsenal don't win the league next season?
Reply 1999
Original post by Zerforax
Arsenal with the bigger net spend (even more than Chelsea) over the last 3 seasons..

Surely it's a failure if Arsenal don't win the league next season?

Agree Chelsea already winning the net spend trophy.

Quick Reply

Latest