The Student Room Group

Chelsea F.C. Thread IX

Scroll to see replies

I swear Lukaku is playing worse with every game
Reply 1361
bring in Broja or hijack Haaland, can't deal with this ****.
Original post by bj27
Athletic reader I see.

Also seems like Jim Ratcliffe put in a bid, I think he cares about the club as a fan and has skin in the game purchasing nice, he'd be my preferred option, there are sporting people in the other groups so I'm sure they'd make a good decision too. Overall I think we might end up better for this.

Realistically Tuchel wont have any issues with making top 4 every year and probably will title challenge if we give him the funds.

Also, Pogba starting to seem like an attractive option if the wages aren't ridiculous, although he seems more likely to sign PSG deal or a mega contract at United.

Part of our issue in midfield is progressive passing, and it's no coincidence that since Fabregas left we've been nowhere near a title challenge, we negated that a bit with our wingbacks but they can't be our sole source of creating chances. If that's the case then we should be playing Hudson Odoi there.

Pogba (with an attitude check and a humble wage) instead of Jorginho in midfield is the stuff of my dreams

Also fully expect Tuchel to bench Kai and Timo tommorrow after that performance and his comments.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bj27
Athletic reader I see.

Also seems like Jim Ratcliffe put in a bid, I think he cares about the club as a fan and has skin in the game purchasing nice, he'd be my preferred option, there are sporting people in the other groups so I'm sure they'd make a good decision too. Overall I think we might end up better for this.

Realistically Tuchel wont have any issues with making top 4 every year and probably will title challenge if we give him the funds.

Also, Pogba starting to seem like an attractive option if the wages aren't ridiculous, although he seems more likely to sign PSG deal or a mega contract at United.

Part of our issue in midfield is progressive passing, and it's no coincidence that since Fabregas left we've been nowhere near a title challenge, we negated that a bit with our wingbacks but they can't be our sole source of creating chances. If that's the case then we should be playing Hudson Odoi there.

Would recommend The Athletic to anyone. It's a fantastic read and the writers are brilliant. I did get my latest subsciption for £1 a month for 6 months :dice:
Sold
Reply 1365
Original post by GrandMedic
Sold

Yeah good to see that's sorted.

I hope Christensen still leaves anyway but I think Tuchel will keep him as it saves us having to buy an extra defender in the transfer market. Tbh I think Christensen usually is fine as the middle CB but Silva plays there and he's better.

Now the club can focus on signings and giving Tuchel what he wants. Frankly more than another forward who will misfire due to not being suited to our system we need to focus on replacing rudiger and getting a progressive midfielder. I would like Rice, but these French midfielders are something else. Pogba on a free is enticing but not paying him man united wages, hear good things about Tchouameni but not seen him play. We've missed Fabregas in the side, to the point that Reece James and Ben Chilwell have been doing his job. Also Hazard clearly hasn't been replaced, even if the general standard of wingers in the side is better than it was back in 2018.

Man United like to complain about the lack of defensive awareness of Pogba in a 2 but we made it work with Fabregas who's equally as bad there, also Jorginho plays there for us currently lmao.
Original post by bj27
Yeah good to see that's sorted.

I hope Christensen still leaves anyway but I think Tuchel will keep him as it saves us having to buy an extra defender in the transfer market. Tbh I think Christensen usually is fine as the middle CB but Silva plays there and he's better.

Now the club can focus on signings and giving Tuchel what he wants. Frankly more than another forward who will misfire due to not being suited to our system we need to focus on replacing rudiger and getting a progressive midfielder. I would like Rice, but these French midfielders are something else. Pogba on a free is enticing but not paying him man united wages, hear good things about Tchouameni but not seen him play. We've missed Fabregas in the side, to the point that Reece James and Ben Chilwell have been doing his job. Also Hazard clearly hasn't been replaced, even if the general standard of wingers in the side is better than it was back in 2018.

Man United like to complain about the lack of defensive awareness of Pogba in a 2 but we made it work with Fabregas who's equally as bad there, also Jorginho plays there for us currently lmao.

Yeah we'll need Christensen for rotation.

Definitely agree that that Pogba would be an upgrade for Jorginho but I just can't see the club getting rid of him unfortunately which is a shame because I feel a Kante-Pogba pairing would be nuts.

I do think we need a clinical striker though. The number of wasted chances every game is just painful to watch. We've got a fair amount of creativity and can dominate teams but the final product is just missing. Yes Havertz has been developing and he can probably fill that role again for another season but I feel we've needed a clinical striker since the Costa days. Realistically I can't see us competing with City for the title unless we get that position sorted (and ofc CB). We'll lose points from games we should've put to bed like this season.
Reply 1367
Yeah we'll need Christensen for rotation.

Definitely agree that that Pogba would be an upgrade for Jorginho but I just can't see the club getting rid of him unfortunately which is a shame because I feel a Kante-Pogba pairing would be nuts.

I do think we need a clinical striker though. The number of wasted chances every game is just painful to watch. We've got a fair amount of creativity and can dominate teams but the final product is just missing. Yes Havertz has been developing and he can probably fill that role again for another season but I feel we've needed a clinical striker since the Costa days. Realistically I can't see us competing with City for the title unless we get that position sorted (and ofc CB). We'll lose points from games we should've put to bed like this season.

Pep got sterling scoring 20 a season and he's Werner level in terms of finishing, what we need to improve on imo is creating clear chances. I think that's partially a coaching issue but also a player issue.

I wouldn't call any of Man City's attackers clinical but look at where they are right now. If I'm being honest, we miss hazard more than we miss a striker. A player who can create space for others because they're triple marked every game.

Our chance creation came from dynamic wingbacks who then got injured. We don't want a single source of failure for chance creation. That's where Pogba/Pogba like player comes in.
Original post by bj27
Pep got sterling scoring 20 a season and he's Werner level in terms of finishing, what we need to improve on imo is creating clear chances. I think that's partially a coaching issue but also a player issue.

I wouldn't call any of Man City's attackers clinical but look at where they are right now. If I'm being honest, we miss hazard more than we miss a striker. A player who can create space for others because they're triple marked every game.

Our chance creation came from dynamic wingbacks who then got injured. We don't want a single source of failure for chance creation. That's where Pogba/Pogba like player comes in.

That's fair but I think the overload of creativity in City's midfield and wing more than makes up for their poor finishing. Werner isn't going to be supplied with 100 balls across the box unfortunately. We don't have a de bruyne or b silva. That's why they can afford to go without Aguero.

I can't see Pogba alone changing our game to that level compared to a competent striker but that's just my opinion. I can see what you're getting at though and I'm all for another Hazard or two to juice up our midfield and just kill the opposition with chances.

Also am I reading this right but Alonso to Barca? Are their scouts blind lmao. I'd take it and get that LWB we've needed to compete with Chillwell.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1369
That's fair but I think the overload of creativity in City's midfield and wing more than makes up for their poor finishing. Werner isn't going to be supplied with 100 balls across the box unfortunately. We don't have a de bruyne or b silva. That's why they can afford to go without Aguero.

I can't see Pogba alone changing our game to that level compared to a competent striker but that's just my opinion. I can see what you're getting at though and I'm all for another Hazard or two to juice up our midfield and just kill the opposition with chances.

Also am I reading this right but Alonso to Barca? Are their scouts blind lmao. I'd take it and get that LWB we've needed to compete with Chillwell.

The entire point is that we overload creativity in our midfield, Pogba + Kovacic + our wingers does that.

We work by scoring the one clear chance we actually get, but we don't get many clear chances, we create lots of half chances, so either we have players who can do something out of nothing(Costa was good at that) or we create a style of play that allows us to move oppositions. We don't look like scoring despite all our possession vs the park the bus teams.

I hate Alonso man, all I want is a LWB who can do a give and go and pass progressively. Chilwell obviously does that but he's injured.

Azpi needs to go man, having an absolute shocker today. Chalobah really doesn't get a break, this is reminding me too much of Tomori and it's triggering. I don't think just going for experience is the way to handle playing out of poor form. Also imagine Azpilicueta or Christensen vs Diaz in the FA cup final, I don't want to imagine.

Watching today I don't think the strikers are at fault at all. In fact I think they've done quite well even though they haven't scored. The supply into them is poor frankly.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1370
Lukaku with 2 goals. Good game from him today.

Two goals out of nothing/opposition mistakes than good play from the team though. Not convinced at all, it's just a game where we keep it tight and exploit mistakes rather than play well.

We're turning on the screws now though.

Reece James is really ****ing good.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1371
Pulisic's passing is pretty awful. Honestly he's just a dribbler with pace. Havertz or Ziyech would make those passes bang on the money imo.
Reply 1372
deserved. Pulisic has been awful today and we did not manage this game at all. Also what's the point of Sarr. Don't get why we didn't just swap Chalobah for Azpi and play him in midfield or something.

Why do we suck at the final pass?
Do you guys reckon we'll beat Liverpool in the FA cup final?
Reply 1374
Anyway we have a supply problem into our main striker(I don't classify Timo as a striker, more a second striker) but him and Pulisic were ****ing dog **** today.

Lukaku scoring goals from nothing but gets ridiculed by the fanbase when it's not just his fault and is a fault of the way we create chances.

Azpi still playing games when he's Ivanovic 15/16 level is also criminal.

Sarr lmao, just ****ing why man. Basically Zouma with less defensive ability. Although won't blame him but someones gotta go for that cross and he's the left back giving them ample space and time to whip it straight to Coady.

Chalobah should be starting for us but Tuchel is doing this 'lets go for experience' crap, same thing Lamps did with Tomori. Sick of this. Getting raided on counters with pace but we have a deep lying playmaker at CB who has pace to calm things down. They definitely had an argument or something. It's funny because at half time Azpilicueta was moved to RWB because he was struggling for pace and was on a yellow but he does nothing going forward, we got our goals from opposition mistakes.

Also gotta say Silva struggles when he's being stretched, his positioning allows this to not be that much of a problem but constantly you can see he's putting in absolutely everything to time a challenge when he's facing someone 1 vs 1 when someone like Walker or Rudiger players don't even bother trying to 1 vs 1 them because they're never gonna win the footrace.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1375
Original post by Dully2003
Do you guys reckon we'll beat Liverpool in the FA cup final?

Would be a very Chelsea thing to do, I have a feeling we'll win.

I think as long as Kanté is fit and Azpi does not start(because he'll be facing Luiz Diaz and that's going to go only one way and not our way) we good. Whether Havertz or Lukaku starts is either or because the gameplan is going to be to pass the ball into space anyway which suits both of them. Werner probably still starts for me due to the stretching of his runs and making space for others.

There's gotta be something more with regards to the team selections, either players not fully fit or people annoying Tuchel in training, I don't understand why Chalobah does not get a game and gets castigated for mistakes when Azpi and Christensen were making mistakes for multiple weeks at a time and still playing regularly.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank God for Wolves! Let's go gunners :wink:
Original post by bj27
The entire point is that we overload creativity in our midfield, Pogba + Kovacic + our wingers does that.

We work by scoring the one clear chance we actually get, but we don't get many clear chances, we create lots of half chances, so either we have players who can do something out of nothing(Costa was good at that) or we create a style of play that allows us to move oppositions. We don't look like scoring despite all our possession vs the park the bus teams.

I hate Alonso man, all I want is a LWB who can do a give and go and pass progressively. Chilwell obviously does that but he's injured.

Azpi needs to go man, having an absolute shocker today. Chalobah really doesn't get a break, this is reminding me too much of Tomori and it's triggering. I don't think just going for experience is the way to handle playing out of poor form. Also imagine Azpilicueta or Christensen vs Diaz in the FA cup final, I don't want to imagine.

Watching today I don't think the strikers are at fault at all. In fact I think they've done quite well even though they haven't scored. The supply into them is poor frankly.

That's fair but then the problem is you're massively overestimating Pogba to fill that role imo. The guy will give you a wonder game once every 5 games but he'll ghost the rest. We can hope it's just United's system holding him back since that team turns anyone to ****.

Yeah with Christensen and Rudi most likely leaving, an ageing Silva and Azpi with this shambolic form the past few games, we might need 2 new CBs. Alonso's only ability is to score volleys or half volleys with his left at the far post. The guy has no other attributes. It's so easy to see when the team channels the ball to the right and into James. You rarely ever see anything come from the left since Chillwell got injured.
Original post by Fenneko
Thank God for Wolves! Let's go gunners :wink:

Cute
Cute

In all seriousness, how likely do you think it is that Arsenal could get 3rd? Chelsea's form atm is really bad.

Quick Reply

Latest