The Student Room Group

Chelsea F.C. Thread IX

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Zerforax
You need to buy a striker with presence like Lukaku.

Oh wait :colondollar:

We don't need a striker we need to improve our chance creation. Don't want to hear anybody say we create chances because we don't. And that's due to midfield.

We're not winning the league until that is sorted out. Kante obviously class but not fit and same with Kovacic, definition of insanity. Also extremely clear that Gallagher should play higher up.
I would have bombed Gallagher the second it looked like you could’ve got anywhere of £50m and above (looking at Gibbs-White :lolwut: )

He just isn’t a very good technical footballer and I can’t see him ever making it as a midfielder in a top 6, let alone league winning midfield.
Reply 1582
Original post by Mess.
I would have bombed Gallagher the second it looked like you could’ve got anywhere of £50m and above (looking at Gibbs-White :lolwut: )

He just isn’t a very good technical footballer and I can’t see him ever making it as a midfielder in a top 6, let alone league winning midfield.

I think he should play higher up the pitch but it's very clear that as one of the two in the pivot he's not making it.

I really don't understand what Tuchel wants to do with this midfield, and is he allergic to using James at RWB.
'Scuse me boss, what team do you support?
Original post by bj27
Or just use Chalobah there.

Also we need Fabregas back ASAP. I don't even want De Jong, Fabregas even at his age right now would do a better job than the jokers we have I'm convinced of it. Jorginho needs to go, offers absolutely nothing to the team, he just plays in good club and international sides so picks up trophies but in reality he's just being saved by Kanté and Verratti.

We've had these games before, not the first and not the last but it's clearly down to our T levels midfield.

Agreed. It felt like there was no midfield presence. Neither Jorginho nor Gallagher (at his current ability) are good enough to break down that defence. I've been saying for ages but Jorginho has been carried so hard to trophies and to that Ballandor nomination. Would've instantly taken any inflated offers for him after Euros ended. Wasn't even Veratti who put him on his back at the international level as much as it was Spinazzola and Chiesa.

As desperate as we are, Fabregas is a bit of a reach lmao. The guy is barely keeping up with Serie B football.
Original post by Mess.

Forest will pay an initial fee of £25m, plus up to £17m in potential add-ons, for Gibbs-White, who will wear the number 10 shirt.

Jeez mental - I didn't even see this transfer fee.

A huge amount in potential add-ons which is pretty unusual for a transfer this size? Maybe a lot of it is tied up to if Forest stay promoted?
Reply 1586
Original post by GrandMedic
Agreed. It felt like there was no midfield presence. Neither Jorginho nor Gallagher (at his current ability) are good enough to break down that defence. I've been saying for ages but Jorginho has been carried so hard to trophies and to that Ballandor nomination. Would've instantly taken any inflated offers for him after Euros ended. Wasn't even Veratti who put him on his back at the international level as much as it was Spinazzola and Chiesa.

As desperate as we are, Fabregas is a bit of a reach lmao. The guy is barely keeping up with Serie B football.

Spinnazola was injured from QFs onwards, Verratti bossed the game Vs England. I think Jorgs with an absolute elite midfield partner looks good but he's always the weak link. Should have sold Jorgs then and got anybody in.

Fabregas still has it, literally we just need a player that can make passes in midfield, he was never a super energetic player, that's something you don't lose as a player when you get older, see Modric. He gets shielded by Valverde and Camavinga because he doesn't have the legs anymore. The Chelsea matches being a good example of this.

In any case, we're not winning the title until we get that deep lying playmaker in midfield. We could probably go the other way and just buy Rice and get very good wingers like Liverpool have.

Also Aubameyang is literally Timo Werner, I don't get why we're twerking for him.
(edited 1 year ago)
Forest will pay an initial fee of £25m, plus up to £17m in potential add-ons, for Gibbs-White, who will wear the number 10 shirt.

Jeez mental - I didn't even see this transfer fee.

A huge amount in potential add-ons which is pretty unusual for a transfer this size? Maybe a lot of it is tied up to if Forest stay promoted?

From some of the podcasts I was listening to, it sounds like £10m of the add-ons are pretty achieve able, with the other £7m being unlikely.

Incredible amount for a player who was in the Championship last season.
Original post by Mess.
From some of the podcasts I was listening to, it sounds like £10m of the add-ons are pretty achieve able, with the other £7m being unlikely.

Incredible amount for a player who was in the Championship last season.

And bought by another club who was only just promoted. Not like you've seen potential and see how fits into an experienced side.

Maybe Forest are already planning for Championship risk and therefore buying one of the best players for that league if go down..?

Shows you how inflated the market is these days. Fees just come down a bit where wage demands are huge by the player.
Is there something inherently wrong with CHO either technically or personality, as even if he can’t sprint anymore after his injury he surely can’t be worse than Gordon!

Gordon is a terrible player and if Everton could trusted to sign literally anyone who isn’t shite, then they should forcing him to Chelsea ASAP. Lads a crab and blind alley merchant.
Reply 1590
Original post by Mess.
Is there something inherently wrong with CHO either technically or personality, as even if he can’t sprint anymore after his injury he surely can’t be worse than Gordon!

Gordon is a terrible player and if Everton could trusted to sign literally anyone who isn’t shite, then they should forcing him to Chelsea ASAP. Lads a crab and blind alley merchant.

Yup. I would prefer to keep Pulisic in any case. We're still not sorting out the actual problem which is our central midfield. Btw this was a problem with PSG back in 2018 as well.

It's gonna be a long season boys. Decent chance you guys or us are out of the top 4.
After the draw I see AC Milan as the toughest opponent in the group stage for Champions League. Might be interesting matches against the Italian champion! it is a doable task in my opinion.
Reply 1592
@Mess. Gallagher needs to go. Basically a *****er version of Mason Mount, seen enough.

We should be swapping him for tielemans but Tuchel would rather buy another striker and wonder why we can't create chances.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bj27
@Mess. Gallagher needs to go. Basically a *****er version of Mason Mount, seen enough.

We should be swapping him for tielemans but Tuchel would rather buy another striker and wonder why we can't create chances.

Gallagher should be only be seeing minutes against fodder in cup games. That guy is not solid enough to start in any top 6 team bar Utd maybe. I'll take the 3 points with 10 men in any case.

Also I know Gordon scored today but I beg we don't spend this unnecessary amount on him. He's just not good enough it's so clear to see.

Fofana done for 75 mil. Its a heavy amount but tbh he'll probably be worth that in a few seasons and at least now we kill any Maguire links. **** that.
Also, start Broja please. Guy hasn't even been given a fair shot
Reply 1595
Original post by GrandMedic
Gallagher should be only be seeing minutes against fodder in cup games. That guy is not solid enough to start in any top 6 team bar Utd maybe. I'll take the 3 points with 10 men in any case.

Also I know Gordon scored today but I beg we don't spend this unnecessary amount on him. He's just not good enough it's so clear to see.

Fofana done for 75 mil. Its a heavy amount but tbh he'll probably be worth that in a few seasons and at least now we kill any Maguire links. **** that.

Agree man,

I don't want Auba either but I'd rather him than Gordon.

Personally think Broja should get some matches but Tuchel wants points on the board. Also I still think our ability to create chances other than Reece James(and I guess Cucurella and Chilwell now too) is pretty much non existent.

We're a Reece James injury away from coming 5th to be honest.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Skkc16
Someone is gonna have to be sold in midfield especially if Gallagher and Gilmour decide they don’t want another loan and also we keep getting linked with DMs so the club probably feels we are missing a certain profile of midfielder.

Gilmour is a ready made replacement for Jorginho if he decides to go back to Italy. Don’t see Kova, Kante and Ruben leaving. Mount is not going anywhere so Gallagher might just have to go even though he also seems the type to back himself to make it at Chelsea.

We really do need to switch back to a back 4 though to accommodate our midfielders and attackers. We’ve been living dangerously and getting lucky in a few games now and yes they say defence wins titles but this doesn’t feel as stable as it did during the Mourinho days. We are just not playing well overall which is a problem.

10 months on and here I am again crying for a switch in formation. Yes our forwards miss chances but gosh the chances come here and there and constantly relying on fullbacks for creativity is exactly how we ended up slipping in the title race last season when Reece and Chilwell got injured.

Used to think the back 5 was to protect Jorginho but I actually think it hinders him now especially if he doesn’t have Kante pairing him. He’d benefit greatly from having a b2b #8 and an attacking #8 with him in midfield. Kante and Kova if they were ever fit but RLC, Gallagher and Mount suit that better than current positions they’re being shoehorned too (although RLC at RWB is better than him playing Jorginho’s pivot role). Mount needs to come out from playing those wing channels. He’s become even more selfish and constantly takes shots when there’s better plays to be made. Deserves a game or two on the bench tbh, if it had been Pulisic or CHO putting in the performances he has this season, then they’d be playing with the U23s

I’ll say though, Sterling gives us another dimension to our attack. It’s good to have a player not afraid to take on defenders and I never quite realised how smart he actually is. He does miss too many chances for my liking and is why I was slightly against him coming coz I know we won’t create as many chances for him to miss and eventually score like at City but we definitely needed his attacking style on the pitch.
Reply 1597
We can switch formation all we want but we don't have fabregas or hazard which is the real problem. Put whoever we want in attack but without those two guys we won't create chances, only guy with that range of ability to create chances like that is our Right back who we play at Centre back for half the matches anyway, Cucurella maybe and Chilwell if he stays fit.

Gallagher is Mason Mount with less G+A. Waste of time trying to get this guy to play in the pivot, if we're putting him in the pivot we should sell him instead. He's a no.8 or a no.10 but he loses the ball way too much.

Sterling always been intelligent but his strength has always been runs off the ball and not his ability on the ball which is why he loves playing with Harry Kane and De Bruyne, if we're expecting him to be Hazard MKII in being our primary playmaker can't wait for the abuse this guy gonna get, also can't wait for Tuchel to get sacked too if he thinks this is a viable option. He can get 15 goals this season tho.

Jorgs is **** and our issues with breaking down teams coincides with the fact we've been using the same midfield since the 2018/19 season and got rid of Fabregas. Jorgs doesn't progressively pass enough and has no ability to defend, he's no different from using Mikel there. If we still kept De Bruyne and played him in the pivot or in a 4-3-3 Tuchel looks like a manager who plays the best football in the league. We should be on the phone to Tielemans right now but we'll buy the experienced goalscorer Aubameyang who like Lukaku destroyed the PL but has a worse first touch.
@bj27 looks like Forfana for £70-75mil from Leicester.

No doubt a talent but after a bad injury seems a bit of a desperate move? Why not let him recover on Leicester's watch and then buy next summer? I guess you guys are crying out for a CB now.

I haven't been following Chelsea's finances closely but seems the new owners are splashing a lot of money. Is FFP dead or you guys must be close to the limit? I know you guys have shifted a lot of wages off the books but not really that much in transfer fees relative to transfer spend.
Reply 1599
@bj27 looks like Forfana for £70-75mil from Leicester.

No doubt a talent but after a bad injury seems a bit of a desperate move? Why not let him recover on Leicester's watch and then buy next summer? I guess you guys are crying out for a CB now.

I haven't been following Chelsea's finances closely but seems the new owners are splashing a lot of money. Is FFP dead or you guys must be close to the limit? I know you guys have shifted a lot of wages off the books but not really that much in transfer fees relative to transfer spend.

Abramovich wrote off our debt. You guys did same with Van Dijk wrt Fofana, tried to buy him in the summer after he got a serious injury but couldn't.

Personally if he flops that will force Tuchel to do what he's supposed to do and just play Chalobah there. There's still a few people we are looking to get rid of and I guess that season where we bought nobody due to the ban gives us more leeway. Also FFP doesn't exist, not hard to do some creative accounting.

Quick Reply

Latest