The Student Room Group

A run down of the clothes sizes

On a girl of average height, who has an average build with average amount of muscle tone and curves etc it goes like this

6 - too skinny
8 - skinny
10 - just right
12 - average
14 - chubby
16 - fat
18 - very fat
20+ OBESE
Original post by stickylikehoney
On a girl of average height, who has an average build with average amount of muscle tone and curves etc it goes like this

6 - too skinny
8 - skinny
10 - just right
12 - average
14 - chubby
16 - fat
18 - very fat
20+ OBESE

Which size are you?
It depends on personal preference.
Some people would move the words up or numbers down, so 4 - too skinny, 6 - skinny, etc, and some people would go the opposite way.
There are people who think 18 is just right.
Everyone has their own opinions.
Original post by Appirition
It depends on personal preference.
Some people would move the words up or numbers down, so 4 - too skinny, 6 - skinny, etc, and some people would go the opposite way.
There are people who think 18 is just right.
Everyone has their own opinions.

18 is not just right on anyone. That's unhealthy.

Original post by Superman 541
Which size are you?

I'm 5ft and 9 stone and I'm a 12. I'm 29. When I was younger, I used to be 8 and a half stone and a 10-12 and I looked ok (Im curvy I'm a 30G). When I dieted hard I could get down to 8 stone and a size 10 and that was when I felt like I looked my best. Then if I got stressed or decided to eat I'd go up to 9 stone and be a size 12 and feel a bit chubby and not as confident (but not fat).

Now I'm older I've been a size 12 for a while and I totally miss being a size 10. But I'm older and the weight just doesn't shift as easily. And I'm curvy and love food too much!

I agree it's unhealthy, but some people prefer bigger girls, and that's their choice.
And you felt the need to post this why?
People don't need you to dictate whether they're fat or skinny. I'm sure they're perfectly capable of judging that themselves.
I agree it's unhealthy, but some people prefer bigger girls, and that's their choice.

I like curves too. Not everyone has to have a flat tummy or be super slender - I appreciate all sizes and a lot of girls look better with extra weight on.
But we need to be healthy too, to me, 18 isn't healthy.
Usually, size 16 is too big. But if the girl is tall and has good curves a 16 might look ok.
While even I might say a few size 16s can look hot, even I think 18 is pushing it! I mean it's not attractive if a girl is morbidly obese!
It's cool if a girl has extra weight and curves and lives her life. But if she's just fat and lazy and just eats dohnuts, that is not good!
I like curves too. Not everyone has to have a flat tummy or be super slender - I appreciate all sizes and a lot of girls look better with extra weight on.
But we need to be healthy too, to me, 18 isn't healthy.
Usually, size 16 is too big. But if the girl is tall and has good curves a 16 might look ok.
While even I might say a few size 16s can look hot, even I think 18 is pushing it! I mean it's not attractive if a girl is morbidly obese!
It's cool if a girl has extra weight and curves and lives her life. But if she's just fat and lazy and just eats doughnuts, that is not good!

All I was saying is that different people have different preferences, regardless of whether or not it's healthy.
I agree that people should be healthy, and anyone who is fat, lazy and just eats doughnuts is definitely not good, but I accept that not everyone thinks the same as you and I do.
Reply 8
yeah but so what, don't spend your life listening to others, people are gonna judge you no matter what. so long as you are happy and comfortable with your size then who gives a **** what the rest of the world thinks about you. they're all nobodies anyway
Original post by Allie4
yeah but so what, don't spend your life listening to others, people are gonna judge you no matter what. so long as you are happy and comfortable with your size then who gives a **** what the rest of the world thinks about you. they're all nobodies anyway

Everybody is a somebody in the eyes of God and me!!!
Original post by Allie4

I'm a size 12 and I wanna be a size 10 I just love food so much.
Maybe I should just surrender to size 12 and live my damn life!

I'm 5ft and 9 stone and I'm a 12. I'm 29. When I was younger, I used to be 8 and a half stone and a 10-12 and I looked ok (Im curvy I'm a 30G). When I dieted hard I could get down to 8 stone and a size 10 and that was when I felt like I looked my best. Then if I got stressed or decided to eat I'd go up to 9 stone and be a size 12 and feel a bit chubby and not as confident (but not fat).

Now I'm older I've been a size 12 for a while and I totally miss being a size 10. But I'm older and the weight just doesn't shift as easily. And I'm curvy and love food too much!

Am I the only person who finds that clothing sizes vary a lot between stores? For example, in some places I'm a 10/12 (or the equivalent in EU sizing) and others I can fit a 6/8?
Original post by Fujoshi
Am I the only person who finds that clothing sizes vary a lot between stores? For example, in some places I'm a 10/12 (or the equivalent in EU sizing) and others I can fit a 6/8?

You're far from alone with that.
There are no industry standard sizing guides for clothing design and manufacturing so every company sets their own sizing.
You're far from alone with that.
There are no industry standard sizing guides for clothing design and manufacturing so every company sets their own sizing.

There should be an industry standard sizing guide!
Original post by Superman 541
There should be an industry standard sizing guide!

Millions of people agree with you on that
Thanks for that!!
Reply 16
I'm a size 12 and I wanna be a size 10 I just love food so much.
Maybe I should just surrender to size 12 and live my damn life!

its just one dress size, chances are you don't look that much different to when you were a size 10
Clothing size varies a lot between stores and also everyone has fat distributed around their body differently. Height, age, and just generally how you look impacts how you look with clothing size. I know I will never look skinny because of how large my chest is, and I always have to size up because of it. I’m not sure how beneficial this post was?
Yes, there doesn't seem to be much body pressure on the student room! I think most people are kind and rate all sorts of shapes
Yes, there doesn't seem to be much body pressure on the student room! I think most people are kind and rate all sorts of shapes

That's the way it should be too

Quick Reply

Latest