The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Can you change degrees?

Going to be starting uni September this year and I've applied for history. I originally wanted to a joint honours of history and geography or history and human geography but turned out that there weren't very many unis that do this course so I ended up just applying for history.

However, literally only 5 minutes ago, I was browsing on the Warwick uni course website and literally just discovered that they do a history and global sustainable development course which sounds like exactly what I want to do (although I probably have to read the course website in a bit more detail first before making any rash decisions).

But I've applied for history and not this other course so can I change? Or is it too late? I haven't put down Warwick as a my firm yet but I intend to (just wanted to get my coursework grades in March just to be sure). Should I email them now to see if I can change my course (and what are the chances they'll let me?) or should I wait to see if I can actually get in first because I'm not confident if I'll even get the grades.

If I try to change my course should I try and do it now or email them after I've put them down as my firm or should I wait until August to see if I actually get in?
Ring them on Monday. If they say you can switch get that in writing.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Ring them on Monday. If they say you can switch get that in writing.

Should I firm them first before I ask to change?
Original post by Anonymous
Should I firm them first before I ask to change?

I see no advantage in doing that at this stage. Hint at it when you phone up... 😆
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
I see no advantage in doing that at this stage. Hint at it when you phone up... 😆

Ah, I was thinking of emailing them because I'm not very good at talking ... but would phoning them up be better?
Ah, I was thinking of emailing them because I'm not very good at talking ... but would phoning them up be better?

calling would get you a faster response, if you feel you aren’t good at talking then write down everything you want or need to say down and have them in front of you when you ring up
Reply 6
calling would get you a faster response, if you feel you aren’t good at talking then write down everything you want or need to say down and have them in front of you when you ring up

That's very true, thanks.
I haven't done very much extra reading/ extra-curricular stuff related to this other course, would it be better to do a bit more research in the subject area before calling them up in case they ask me if I've done anything/ read anything related to that subject area? Or are they unlikely to ask that?
That's very true, thanks.
I haven't done very much extra reading/ extra-curricular stuff related to this other course, would it be better to do a bit more research in the subject area before calling them up in case they ask me if I've done anything/ read anything related to that subject area? Or are they unlikely to ask that?

I don’t have much experience but i think it’s unlikely they’d ask you questions on the course. provided you meet the requirements for the new course, it should just be them saying yes or no. im assuming you’ve already gotten an offer from them so that should make it easier
Reply 8
Original post by tacobeth
I don’t have much experience but i think it’s unlikely they’d ask you questions on the course. provided you meet the requirements for the new course, it should just be them saying yes or no. im assuming you’ve already gotten an offer from them so that should make it easier

Yeah I've already got an offer from them, the joint honours course I want to change to has the same entry requirements so hopefully it'll be an easy switch.
But if they start asking me more specific stuff about the course and why I want to change to it then I'm going to be a bit stuck.

My only reasoning is that I would have applied for it in the first place, if I knew the course existed lmao. Surely that's strong enough reasoning? - or does that just show my incompetence in failing to research courses properly? :confused:
You don't need to explain your course change. (I didn't when I asked) Just ask, and they will consider you for switching over. Note that the course may be closed for applications, (this happens sometime after the Jan 15th deadline. For more popular courses this happens a few days after) in which case transfer after the first year may be possible.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
You don't need to explain your course change. (I didn't when I asked) Just ask, and they will consider you for switching over. Note that the course may be closed for applications, (this happens sometime after the Jan 15th deadline. For more popular courses this happens a few days after) in which case transfer after the first year may be possible.

Hi, do you mind me asking what you changed from and was it as easy as ringing them up asking to change, them saying yes and it changes on UCAS?
Hi, do you mind me asking what you changed from and was it as easy as ringing them up asking to change, them saying yes and it changes on UCAS?

I could not change because the course was full, though they offered me deferred entry for 2020.

Exchange was by email and yes it would have been that simple. Didn't have to explain why, probably didn't really care.

This was on results day but I asked if it would be possible before Jan 15th and they offered to just change it over but said it's not as certain once applications closed.

If the course is full, they might say no. In this case, since Warwick is quite flexible (you can do up to 30 credits from unusual options, which can come from any department in the university, which usually translates to 2 term-long modules, or one 2-term module) you can probably do Global Development modules, and possibly transfer to the joint degree after the first year. But you should enquire about this possibility. I am not familiar with the structure of either degree.
Original post by _gcx
I could not change because the course was full, though they offered me deferred entry for 2020.

Exchange was by email and yes it would have been that simple. Didn't have to explain why, probably didn't really care.

This was on results day but I asked if it would be possible before Jan 15th and they offered to just change it over but said it's not as certain once applications closed.

If the course is full, they might say no. In this case, since Warwick is quite flexible (you can do up to 30 credits from unusual options, which can come from any department in the university, which usually translates to 2 term-long modules, or one 2-term module) you can probably do Global Development modules, and possibly transfer to the joint degree after the first year. But you should enquire about this possibility. I am not familiar with the structure of either degree.

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I'll probably contact the uni later this week. :smile:
When you mean that you can do 30 credits from unusual options from any department in the university, I'm guessing that means I could potentially do a module in GSD even though I'm studying for a single honours history?
Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I'll probably contact the uni later this week. :smile:
When you mean that you can do 30 credits from unusual options from any department in the university, I'm guessing that means I could potentially do a module in GSD even though I'm studying for a single honours history?

Yes. You can also study a language, for instance, using these free credits. Pretty sure for any degree in any year you have to do at least 120 credits (CATs), but the maximum you can take varies. Note you do have to have departmental approval but this is generally not a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest