The Student Room Group

Have your say: Predicted grades could be scrapped under admissions review

Scroll to see replies

Original post by med123456^^
point is I was predicted a D, achieved a B. not really an accurate judgement is it?

75% of students dont reach their predicted grades and only 9% exceed them. If your results in year 12 were low why do you expect your teacher to predict you higher. Teachers can only make predictions on the evidence before them and from your own comments your year 12 performance didnt provide that. Everybody will say they are going to do better but most dont. Adjustment is available for someone like you who exceeds their expectations. Also many universities make offers to students with grades below their entry standards so you could have gambled on a couple of better choices.
point is I was predicted a D, achieved a B. not really an accurate judgement is it?

Obviously, at the time of your application he didn't feel like you were doing enough work to justify a higher prediction.

Maths is very easy to improve quickly in.
Original post by vicvic38
Obviously, at the time of your application he didn't feel like you were doing enough work to justify a higher prediction.

Maths is very easy to improve quickly in.

I don’t see how it was fair to predict some people who had achieved the same grade as me higher then. I just don’t find predicted grades fair from personal experience.
I don’t see how it was fair to predict some people who had achieved the same grade as me higher then. I just don’t find predicted grades fair from personal experience.

Oh I'm not going to claim that they are fair. We had a similar thing in our Physics class many moons ago. A couple people got E's in their AS (the teacher wasn't going to make us sit them, but for everyone apart from me he felt it was a worthwhile exercise.) One he predicted a C, and the other a D, because the person who got the C was actively trying to improve. The one who got a D was not visibly trying.

That's not to say you weren't making an effort, just he probably didn't see it.
Original post by 1st superstar
People with disabilities can be at a disadvantage (for the work experience), extra curricular activities (not everyone is able to do them especially those coming from working-class backgrounds, those living in a deprived areas.

Im gonna disagree here I’m afraid... No one in my family has ever held qualifications past GCSE and hold very working class jobs eg. Mechanic and cleaner and my area has one of the lowest uptakes of further education.

yet I was able to spend all my teenage years (12-19) doing Cadets and athletics club to boost my application and currently doing my Masters degree.

If there is a will, there is a way. If working class individuals apply themselves to their dreams it’s very easy.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CTLeafez
Im gonna disagree here I’m afraid... No one in my family has ever held qualifications past GCSE and hold very working class jobs eg. Mechanic and cleaner and my area has one of the lowest uptakes of further education.

yet I was able to spend all my teenage years (12-19) doing Cadets and athletics club to boost my application and currently doing my Masters degree.

If there is a will, there is a way. If working class individuals apply themselves to their dreams it’s very easy.

true
Original post by tam13
Here's where you can post a comment about our Predicted grades could be scrapped under admissions review article.

Read the full Predicted grades could be scrapped under admissions review article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

Yes they need to go,
at GCSE just pointless as how well you do in these often just comes down to if you bother to read the CPG books the week before exams.

A-levels I think its important to have a predictor for universities however predicted grades are awful, id prefer application post final grades but that seems impossible with the present system, so I like it but what is replacing them, if this happens?
Original post by CTLeafez

Completly agree,

EDIT: I will say if you come from a background of family who have gone to uni etc. its easier to open your eyes to the possibilities and opportunities but anyone who wants it can have it if their willing to work.
(edited 4 years ago)

The other system that could be used is you sit an AS exam nationally and take the teachers predictions out but even using that system the university would not have looked favourably on your grades. If we move to an actual systems it would involve bringing exams forward and starting university later. There are people on here who are still awaiting offers for applications made in November so trying to get 100s of thousands placed in a few weeks isnt practical. You would also have the problem of accommodation and finance as well so to start in September or October you would probably need exams to be taken say March time with results in early May. Then you would face the issue of shortening the A Levels ito a more compressed area. Adjustment was brought in for people like you who had exceeded their expectations and most people get into their firm or second choices. Clearing exists for students who havent met their offers but universities are increasingly accepting students who have not met their grades
Original post by mnot
Yes they need to go,
at GCSE just pointless as how well you do in these often just comes down to if you bother to read the CPG books the week before exams.

A-levels I think its important to have a predictor for universities however predicted grades are awful, id prefer application post final grades but that seems impossible with the present system, so I like it but what is replacing them, if this happens?

IDK maybe do january exams instead of May/June ones (and let people retake in May/June if they fail or don't achieve entry requirements) also make the new UCAS deadline the 30th of June? but that probably means we need the A-levels to be modular? but honestly i have no idea...
IDK maybe do january exams instead of May/June ones (and let people retake in May/June if they fail or don't achieve entry requirements) also make the new UCAS deadline the 30th of June? but that probably means we need the A-levels to be modular? but honestly i have no idea...

I think it would take a complete re-imagination of A-levels to change it, I thought the idea of 4 exam windows ie jan & may-june in both year 12 & 13 would mean unis have results from 75% of students A-levels before dishing out offers but its not gonna happen.
Original post by mnot
I think it would take a complete re-imagination of A-levels to change it, I thought the idea of 4 exam windows ie jan & may-june in both year 12 & 13 would mean unis have results from 75% of students A-levels before dishing out offers but its not gonna happen.

true how do you think that exams should be done? i feel like going back to modular exams (for A-level not GCSE) could make things much better
I'd like to see the number of choices applicants are allowed to pick reduced to 3 or 4 - with everyone given an Extra choice (that's in addition not instead of their originals) in February.

I'd also stop any university making offers prior to January 15th and stop any applicant from picking firm and insurance prior to 1 April. That would stop applicants rushing in an application and stop universities and schools from pressuring applicants into making applications too early or making decisions too early.

I'd also scrap insurance choice tbh - barely any applicants end up going to them and they cause a lot of stress where people pick somewhere and then regret it.

Clearing around results day needs some built in thinking time too - so universities make offers through Track and then a week after results (when they've had time to research and visit) applicants can pick their preferred offer and then after everyone with offers has been placed there could be a second round where universities can make offers again (with the cycles getting shorter for each round). But generally clearing works quite well apart from the induced panic. Calm things down a bit and it would be a really good valuable backup.

All these changes would make things more complex for universities (aside from reducing choices - that cuts the basic workload by 20%)...but I think it would be worthwhile for the better decision making from applicants reducing drop outs and last minute changes.
true how do you think that exams should be done? i feel like going back to modular exams (for A-level not GCSE) could make things much better

I was thinking a modular setup but barring extenuating circumstances you have to take the exam in the prescribed window so per A-level, allow students to resit 1 paper per A-level:

January year 12: 2 exams or 1 exam if there is a coursework element
May year 12: 2 exams
January year 13: 2 exams or 1 exam if there is a coursework element
May year 13: 2 exams

This would take a lot of the guess work out for unis and students, by the end of year 12 students know what grades are realistic and mid-year 13 unis are able to narrow applicant pools to the most realistic candidates, its better for everyone. It does mean more exam windows but its the same setup unis do exam wise...
Original post by mnot
I was thinking a modular setup but barring extenuating circumstances you have to take the exam in the prescribed window so per A-level, allow students to resit 1 paper per A-level:

This would take a lot of the guess work out for unis and students, by the end of year 12 students know what grades are realistic and mid-year 13 unis are able to narrow applicant pools to the most realistic candidates, its better for everyone. It does mean more exam windows but its the same setup unis do exam wise...

This was basically the system pre Gove. This is what he changed. Exams in Jan June in year 12 and 13 and in Wales and Northern Ireland there still is a kind of modular A level system. Students applying in Jan year 13 would actually have 3/4 of their results so just making 1 small change to move the ucas application date to say end of Feb would allow students to apply with 3/4 of exams takem. Unfortunately this is against Tory Government policy to make all A level exams linear. This could be added with a reduction in the number of unis you can apply to say 3 would reduce pressure on universities.
Universities lie about the grades you need to get onto the course (the vast majority will take you if you fall below the requirement, some more lenient than others). Relatively few adverise the minimum they'll accept.

Teachers under- (or more commonly over-) estimate what you'll get.

The result is terrible - BCC students on AAB advertised courses, people getting reiected because they don't meet the predications required by the course even though predications are arbitrary, etc.
Original post by swanseajack1
This was basically the system pre Gove. This is what he changed. Exams in Jan June in year 12 and 13 and in Wales and Northern Ireland there still is a kind of modular A level system. Students applying in Jan year 13 would actually have 3/4 of their results so just making 1 small change to move the ucas application date to say end of Feb would allow students to apply with 3/4 of exams takem. Unfortunately this is against Tory Government policy to make all A level exams linear. This could be added with a reduction in the number of unis you can apply to say 3 would reduce pressure on universities.

Yea, my thinking was basically the old system but with 2 changes:
1) mandated to take exams in January both years (so remove the flexibility of picking when at what you take each window)
2) Change the re-sit rule
so max 1 paper per A-level.

Its not gunna happen& its just my view on a system that would help both applicants & unis.
Original post by mnot

Sounds great but couple of questions:
Does that mean that students will sit 8 papers in total or only 4 over the 2 year course?
Will you be tested on the year 12 and 13 content in year 13 or just the year 13 content? Also will each paper be based on a range of A-levels modules within that A-level or just 1 module like they did for the old modular spec
... Might ask more questions later
Original post by mnot
1) mandated to take exams in January both years (so remove the flexibility of picking when at what you take each window)

Its not gunna happen& its just my view on a system that would help both applicants & unis.

Why not start a petition, true to get in touch with the head of Education etc lots of people on here including UCAS advisors can back you up... But yeah seems like we won't be able to change anything I might do an educational system protest when I am an adult? Sad reality
Why not start a petition, true to get in touch with the head of Education etc lots of people on here including UCAS advisors can back you up... But yeah seems like we won't be able to change anything I might do an educational system protest when I am an adult? Sad reality

Original post by mnot

Fill in the consultation and explain why the problem comes from scrapping ASs
https://survey.officeforstudents.org.uk/s/admissions-review-students/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending