The Student Room Group

JP Morgan Degree Apprenticeship (Insight Evening) 2020

I have recently completed the insight evening at the Bournemouth offices on the 3rd of March 2020. I just thought I'd share my experience as I found preparation for this part of the application fairly difficult. I found the evening itself fine, a bit intimidating initially as there are so many people and managers, but everyone was really friendly and outgoing so there was none of that social awkwardness and the event itself goes in a flash. The evening is an hour and a half and in that time go around talking to managers and recently graduated apprentices, normally 5/10 minute intervals: so you end up talking to around 10/15 people. This is a great chance for you to ask any questions you may have about the apprenticeship or the company. It is also a chance to impress the managers with your knowledge of the companies history; your particular interest in financial services or technology services. You are guaranteed to be asked: 'why JP Morgan'; 'what is it about the apprenticeship that interests you'; 'why financial services or tec is something that interests you'. All the questions will be around this formate with variations so be ready. My advice is to be calm and collected, to get this far JPM has already shown great interest in you so you have reason to be confident. This is the chance to demonstrate your interpersonal and communication skills which you will be scored on. My advice is to try and keep the conversation interesting and two-sided. Don't just answer, try to ask some insightful questions: if possible related to recent JPM activity or business/finance news in general. For example, I talked about how JPM in Feb purchased some offices in Paris and how or if that would impact the city of London as the European hub post-Brexit. Do some fairly good research on the firm and just talk about what interests you. For example, JPM is very active in philanthropic and charity work. if that interests you, mention that. Perhaps you did some volunteering at school and enjoyed it and would be interested to continue that at JPM? Try and keep the exchange light and conversational rather than an inquisition. Try and show that you are fun, motivated and interesting; that as well as a great candidate you'll be a good addition to the team.
Good start for research and info is the JPM website 'about us' they also have a youtube channel which is very helpful for keeping up to date with news. Reading a good newspaper once a week is a good way to keep up with financial and business news. The Economist is a personal choice of mine, costs £12 for 12 weeks access very reputable and nonpartisan information and very well presented and written. Good luck. Hope this is helpful.Very happy to answer any more specific questions at (MOD EDIT - EMAIL removed). Hopefully, I will get through to the next (video interview stage) and will tell you how I get on and anything that could be helpful to others :smile:.
Reply 1
Definitely some useful tips, I agree the most common questions asked was 'Why us'.

I had my insight evening yesterday. It's strange to see there aren't active threads regarding this year's applicants
Reply 2
Original post by Cox324
I have recently completed the insight evening at the Bournemouth offices on the 3rd of March 2020. I just thought I'd share my experience as I found preparation for this part of the application fairly difficult. I found the evening itself fine, a bit intimidating initially as there are so many people and managers, but everyone was really friendly and outgoing so there was none of that social awkwardness and the event itself goes in a flash. The evening is an hour and a half and in that time go around talking to managers and recently graduated apprentices, normally 5/10 minute intervals: so you end up talking to around 10/15 people. This is a great chance for you to ask any questions you may have about the apprenticeship or the company. It is also a chance to impress the managers with your knowledge of the companies history; your particular interest in financial services or technology services. You are guaranteed to be asked: 'why JP Morgan'; 'what is it about the apprenticeship that interests you'; 'why financial services or tec is something that interests you'. All the questions will be around this formate with variations so be ready. My advice is to be calm and collected, to get this far JPM has already shown great interest in you so you have reason to be confident. This is the chance to demonstrate your interpersonal and communication skills which you will be scored on. My advice is to try and keep the conversation interesting and two-sided. Don't just answer, try to ask some insightful questions: if possible related to recent JPM activity or business/finance news in general. For example, I talked about how JPM in Feb purchased some offices in Paris and how or if that would impact the city of London as the European hub post-Brexit. Do some fairly good research on the firm and just talk about what interests you. For example, JPM is very active in philanthropic and charity work. if that interests you, mention that. Perhaps you did some volunteering at school and enjoyed it and would be interested to continue that at JPM? Try and keep the exchange light and conversational rather than an inquisition. Try and show that you are fun, motivated and interesting; that as well as a great candidate you'll be a good addition to the team.
Good start for research and info is the JPM website 'about us' they also have a youtube channel which is very helpful for keeping up to date with news. Reading a good newspaper once a week is a good way to keep up with financial and business news. The Economist is a personal choice of mine, costs £12 for 12 weeks access very reputable and nonpartisan information and very well presented and written. Good luck. Hope this is helpful.Very happy to answer any more specific questions at (MOD EDIT - EMAIL removed). Hopefully, I will get through to the next (video interview stage) and will tell you how I get on and anything that could be helpful to others :smile:.

ngl i think i love you thank you soo much. Ive literally got mine tmrw and had no idea what i should have researched
Original post by Cox324

Hey!
I was wondering if you made it onto the next stage? I have my insight evening soon and am so nervous about it - anymore advice would be appreciated.
Thank you :smile:
Hi, did you get through to the video stage?
Reply 5
Original post by Cox324

Could you help me out with the assessment centre and how should I prep for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending