The Student Room Group

Inner temple scholarship interview?

Scroll to see replies

I was also one of the fortunate ones to receive an award.

I have spoke to notmocked in some detail about my interview and why I believe I was successful in obtaining an award. I thought it might be of use to post it in here.

In the interview, I didn't answer 2 of the questions about the judgement (I chose criminal), I actually got quite a lot of questions on this, my friends did not. I completely mucked up the timed arguing/persuasive argument thing. I think I actually argued opposite to what they asked me.

I can only speculate as to why I was successful and I believe this is why;

I showed I was committed to the bar, in the interview and on my application through minis/marshalling/solicitor experience.
I showed I was passionate about becoming a barrister
And maybe the most persuasive in my opinion. Even though I mucked up the timed argument I was able to counter act this by giving them a very persuasive answer to why I would be a successful barrister. My answer was based on the fact that I can and have interacted with a huge cross section of society and this was the most important thing about being a barrister, the ability to communicate and understand people, in my opinion, is the very backbone of being a barrister.

If anyone wants a chat or to ask me any questions, please just message me, this applies to future readers of this thread who may be applying in 2021.
Hi James, congratulations on your scholarship. I am an international student and I also applied for the GDL scholarship this year. Can you pls send me guidelines to follow? I’ll really appreciate this as this scholarship will give me the appropriate funding I need to come to the UK to study to become a barrister. Thank you in advance
Original post by james_law
I was also one of the fortunate ones to receive an award.

I have spoke to notmocked in some detail about my interview and why I believe I was successful in obtaining an award. I thought it might be of use to post it in here.

In the interview, I didn't answer 2 of the questions about the judgement (I chose criminal), I actually got quite a lot of questions on this, my friends did not. I completely mucked up the timed arguing/persuasive argument thing. I think I actually argued opposite to what they asked me.

I can only speculate as to why I was successful and I believe this is why;

I showed I was committed to the bar, in the interview and on my application through minis/marshalling/solicitor experience.
I showed I was passionate about becoming a barrister
And maybe the most persuasive in my opinion. Even though I mucked up the timed argument I was able to counter act this by giving them a very persuasive answer to why I would be a successful barrister. My answer was based on the fact that I can and have interacted with a huge cross section of society and this was the most important thing about being a barrister, the ability to communicate and understand people, in my opinion, is the very backbone of being a barrister.

If anyone wants a chat or to ask me any questions, please just message me, this applies to future readers of this thread who may be applying in 2021.

Hi James, congratulations on your scholarship. I am an international student and I also applied for the GDL scholarship this year. Can you pls send me guidelines to follow? I’ll really appreciate this as this scholarship will give me the appropriate funding I need to come to the UK to study to become a barrister. Thank you in advance
Original post by Cream4eva

Hi,

I didn't apply for the GDL scholarship so unfortunately can't help you with that. I can however say you definitely need to show commitment and passion for studying law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending