The Student Room Group

Quick and cheap accurate Corvid-19 testing kit being ignored by UK govt

A Derby-based firm, SureScreen Diagnostics, has created a high accuracy test for Coronavirus that works from a finger-tip blood test, takes 10 minutes (current NHS tests take 2-3 days) and costs £6 as opposed to figures of £100 - £250 per test being reported for existing tests.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/20/government-considering-12431251/

The company is shipping large numbers of units across Europe.

Unfortunately, for inexplicable reasons, they are being ignored by the NHS. No reason has so far been given. We can therefore only speculate that this will be due either to complete incompetence at the highest levels of the crisis management, or else binding commercial contracts with other suppliers are blocking immediate action.

We need a Winston Churchill figure to write "Action this day" on memos.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The company claims the test is 98% accurate; Public Health England is yet to be convinced and has advised against its use until proven otherwise.
Tbh i would be surprised if a 6 quid testing kid works well, things like PCR only has about 60% success rate at detecting positive..
Its concerns regarding accuracy. There is a LOT of money to be made from fake tests and fake cures atm.

Edit: The company seems to say all the right things in that article though :dontknow:
(edited 4 years ago)
You are thinking about this the wrong way. This is an endemic virus at this point, you have to assume its everywhere so testing isnt super important unless you are really suffering and the doctors need to know. Infact id argue that the 17 year old boy that tested negative 4 times and then died from corona (https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fkmd3h/south_korea_17yearold_korean_dies_after_testing/) shows that having inadequate test probably gives people a dangerous false sense of security. Social distancing is how we will beat the virus we are past the phase when we need to worry everyday about numbers.
Reply 5
The NHS has already developed a swab test which will provide results in under an hour to trial this week. If it works then its a simple case of increasing production so that people can drop by their GP, supermarket, chemist ect.. but it will take several weeks to roll out at scale.
Original post by Ragman75
You are thinking about this the wrong way. This is an endemic virus at this point, you have to assume its everywhere so testing isnt super important unless you are really suffering and the doctors need to know. Infact id argue that the 17 year old boy that tested negative 4 times and then died from corona (https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fkmd3h/south_korea_17yearold_korean_dies_after_testing/) shows that having inadequate test probably gives people a dangerous false sense of security. Social distancing is how we will beat the virus we are past the phase when we need to worry everyday about numbers.

I see what you're saying, but its not really correct. A rapid, highly sensitive and highly specific test would be so useful right now.

The main reason is because social distancing is not possible everywhere. Police, doctors, nurses, checkout staff, utilities workers. Anyone admitted to hospital. If any of that group has the virus and has minimal, atypical, or just no symptoms, they will spread it widely. If the above test works perfectly, you could legitimately argue that we should just test all doctors and nurses once per week, and reduce spread substantially.

In fact with this test our whole approach could probably change. If we can suppress cases to low numbers again, our ability to identify outbreaks and contact trace rapidly would be much greater. You could test an entire neighbourhood without it costing much. We could aim to eliminate it in the West, then anyone arriving from anywhere where its still endemic has to have the test on the border and wait for result. Annoying, but infinitely better than our current long term plan on how to deal with endemic areas (i.e. ???)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
I see what you're saying, but its not really correct. A rapid, highly sensitive and highly specific test would be so useful right now.

The main reason is because social distancing is not possible everywhere. Police, doctors, nurses, checkout staff, utilities workers. Anyone admitted to hospital. If any of that group has the virus and has minimal, atypical, or just no symptoms, they will spread it widely. If the above test works perfectly, you could legitimately argue that we should just test all doctors and nurses once per week, and reduce spread substantially.

In fact with this test our whole approach could probably change. If we can suppress cases to low numbers again, our ability to identify outbreaks and contact trace rapidly would be much greater. You could test an entire neighbourhood without it costing much. We could aim to eliminate it in the West, then anyone arriving from anywhere where its still endemic has to have the test on the border and wait for result. Annoying, but infinitely better than our current long term plan on how to deal with endemic areas (i.e. ???)

Your making two arguments that dont follow. Needing test for important or high risk people doesnt follow on to justifying a need for test for the masses. I agree we need test for nurses, the elderly, police etc but that doesn't give any justification of needing test for everyone. Dont get me wrong tho im not saying we dont need more test as a whole or that we shouldnt be trying to test as much as we can, but it seems like the social distancing and enacting policies that will aide that is prior no 1 as that is the only way we can supress this virus down to manageable numbers.
Original post by Ragman75
Your making two arguments that dont follow. Needing test for important or high risk people doesnt follow on to justifying a need for test for the masses. I agree we need test for nurses, the elderly, police etc but that doesn't give any justification of needing test for everyone. Dont get me wrong tho im not saying we dont need more test as a whole or that we shouldnt be trying to test as much as we can, but it seems like the social distancing and enacting policies that will aide that is prior no 1 as that is the only way we can supress this virus down to manageable numbers.

If I had to choose one or the other, clearly I'd go for social distancing. An accurate test would be useful though!
Well we don't actually know the severity of the situation in the UK specifically yet, only the current death toll (which is scarily high). Maybe they don't want to introduce a rapid, accurate test because then they'd have no reason no to carry out extensive testing for anyone with the symptoms. Considering how many people are sick and not confirmed, this could cause further widespread panic if it were found out by the general public. Panic buying's already a huge problem, and the economy's not looking great, so imagine that times what the true number of cases is.

I'm probably wrong though.
Original post by Surnia
The company claims the test is 98% accurate; Public Health England is yet to be convinced and has advised against its use until proven otherwise.

Lol duh even I know this.

They're selling like hot cakes online for a reason. Faaaake. It's not a marijuana test kit lol it's a medical diagnosis that you need professional help with. You can t test bacteria without a contained sample of it.....that means those kits either are laced with corona or they'll provide you a sample, or they're fake lol which one is more probable.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
You can t test bacteria without a contained sample of it.....that means those kits either are laced with corona or they'll provide you a sample, or they're fake lol which one is more probable.

What?

Of course you can test for a bacteria without physically having it in a testing kit!

Plus Covid isn't even caused by a bacteria...
Its concerns regarding accuracy. There is a LOT of money to be made from fake tests and fake cures atm.

Edit: The company seems to say all the right things in that article though :dontknow:

They are a pretty well established diagnostics company.

https://www.talktofrank.com/treatment-centre/surescreen-diagnostics-ltd
Original post by Fullofsurprises
A Derby-based firm, SureScreen Diagnostics, has created a high accuracy test for Coronavirus that works from a finger-tip blood test, takes 10 minutes (current NHS tests take 2-3 days) and costs £6 as opposed to figures of £100 - £250 per test being reported for existing tests.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/20/government-considering-12431251/

The company is shipping large numbers of units across Europe.

Unfortunately, for inexplicable reasons, they are being ignored by the NHS. No reason has so far been given. We can therefore only speculate that this will be due either to complete incompetence at the highest levels of the crisis management, or else binding commercial contracts with other suppliers are blocking immediate action.

We need a Winston Churchill figure to write "Action this day" on memos.

Johnson is not Churchill.
What?

Of course you can test for a bacteria without physically having it in a testing kit!

Plus Covid isn't even caused by a bacteria...

.....it is caused by bacteria....its a virus....

And I was being facetious about physically having it in the testing kit.....

Viruses are not bacteria. That's why they're different words. Hope this helps.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Viruses are not bacteria. That's why they're different words. Hope this helps.

I didn't say virus are bacteria. Bacteria causes infections and colds, and viruses are malignant levels of such......duh

Also

Treats and sweets are the same thing, but two different words. It's called synonym...genius...

Hope this helps.
I didn't say virus are bacteria. Bacteria causes infections and colds, and viruses are malignant levels of such......duh

Also

Treats and sweets are the same thing, but two different words. It's called synonym...genius...

Hope this helps.

Bacteria don't cause colds. The Common Cold is a virus.

Bacteria are not viruses. They are two completely different things, causing different disease and treated completely differently.

I really struggle to see how that was being facetious.

Also

Hope this helps.

They are literally different types of pathogen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending