The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey disability/mental health support

I was wondering how good the support is for neurodivergent students and general mental health at Surrey

I got a place for paramedic science so this area of support is really important in that type of course.

Any experiences would be really helpful to hear.
Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering how good the support is for neurodivergent students and general mental health at Surrey

I got a place for paramedic science so this area of support is really important in that type of course.

Any experiences would be really helpful to hear.
Thank you!

Hi Anonymous,

Congratulations on your place, you must be very excited!

At Surrey, we have a few different places to go for support with mental health and ADHD/autism/Irlen syndrome/dyslexia etc.

Firstly, we have the Disability and Neurodiversity team. You can contact them before you even start at Surrey to discuss support and ways they can help you with a Disability Advisor. The support they can offer ranges depending on your condition/disability, for example exam arrangements such as extra time, smaller rooms, rest breaks etc. They can also offer support with accommodation, for example if you need an en-suite. You will need to provide evidence, such as a letter from your psychologist or General Practitioner. You can read more about them here. The disability advisors are lovely and very supportive, so if you have any questions or are wondering if you qualify for extra support, don't hesitate to get in touch with them and book a quick chat where you can discuss what support would help you. Their email is: [email protected]

Secondly, we have the Centre for Wellbeing, who provide pastoral support such as counsellors and mental health practitioners especially for students who are struggling with or without a diagnosed mental health condition, as well as exam stress or burnout etc. You can read more about it here.

Thirdly, we have the peer support service, where you can speak to other Surrey students about anything that is bothering you, such as grades, problems with friends, money problems etc. You can read more about this here.

Finally, the students union also organises events, especially during exam season, such as therapy dogs, colouring in and origami sessions, petting zoos, free coffee mornings and lots of others to support students at the most stressful time of the year and help you meet other students.

I hope this helps you!
- Michelle :smile:
3rd year Biomedical Science student at Surrey
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending