The Student Room Group

Help with this further maths question

It's for question 2c, I have no idea how to do it. Also, for part b I got the equations y=1/3x+3 and y=x+1. Is that correct? Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
B) is correct.
For c) find the focus of the parabola and then connect it to the point of intersection (3,4) with a line. The midpoint of this line segment is the centre of the locus they want you to describe. The two points which are the y intercepts of the lines lie in the circumference of the locus. So write down the equation of the locus.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
B) is correct.
For c) find the focus of the parabola and then connect it to the point of intersection (3,4) with a line. The midpoint of this line segment is the centre of the locus they want you to describe. The two points which are the y intercepts of the lines lie in the circumference of the locus. So write down the equation of the locus.

Is the focus (1,0)?
Reply 3
Original post by Danny_Man
Is the focus (1,0)?

How do you get that?
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
How do you get that?

I used the fact that the parametric equations for a parabola are x=at^2 and y=2at then I used the y=2t given and solved to find a. Don't know if it's right though.
Reply 5
I used the fact that the parametric equations for a parabola are x=at^2 and y=2at then I used the y=2t given and solved to find a. Don't know if it's right though.

You want to write it like
https://www.varsitytutors.com/hotmath/hotmath_help/topics/focus-of-a-parabola
Although for your problem, the x and y are flipped. If you've not done it, sketch the parabola and lines and put the focus on there.
To work out the focus properly, you need to eliminate t. Can you show this?
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
You want to write it like
https://www.varsitytutors.com/hotmath/hotmath_help/topics/focus-of-a-parabola
Although for your problem, the x and y are flipped. If you've not done it, sketch the parabola and lines and put the focus on there.
To work out the focus properly, you need to eliminate t. Can you show this?

Sorry, but I don't get it. Can you guide me through it a bit more? Thanks.
Reply 7
Sorry, but I don't get it. Can you guide me through it a bit more? Thanks.

Eliminate t from the parabola. You can do that.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Eliminate t from the parabola. You can do that.

From y^2=4ax? Do I just substitute x and y into that?
Reply 9
From y^2=4ax? Do I just substitute x and y into that?

Where does "a" come from? The equation. Is
x = 1/4y^2
From that you can read off the a,h,k in the equation of the parabola. Therefore the focus is ...
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
Where does "a" come from? The equation. Is
x = 1/4y^2
From that you can read off the a,h,k in the equation of the parabola. Therefore the focus is ...

(0, 1/4)?
(0, 1/4)?

I got a=1/4, h=k=0. So the focus is at
(k+1/(4a), h) = (1,0)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
I got a=1/4, h=k=0. So the focus is at
(k+1/(4a), 0) = (1,0)

That’s what I got before!
That’s what I got before!

Sure. I've been trying to make sure you understand why.
Reply 14
Original post by mqb2766
Sure. I've been trying to make sure you understand why.

I see. I didn't learn the vertex form for a parabola, so that's probably why it was confusing for me. What's the next step? Should I find an equation of a line using the focus and intersection coordinates?
I see. I didn't learn the vertex form for a parabola, so that's probably why it was confusing for me. What's the next step? Should I find an equation of a line using the focus and intersection coordinates?

Ok. The midpoint of the line segment joining the two points is simply the midpoint (average) of the two points in the x and y directions . You should just write the point down?
Then the locus is the set of all points which are equidistant from this point. It passes through the y intercepts of the two lines. Again, it should be fairly easy to reason what shape it is and what its parameters are
Reply 16
Original post by mqb2766
Ok. The midpoint of the line segment joining the two points is simply the midpoint (average) of the two points in the x and y directions . You should just write the point down?
Then the locus is the set of all points which are equidistant from this point. It passes through the y intercepts of the two lines. Again, it should be fairly easy to reason what shape it is and what its parameters are

Sorry for the late response. So, the centre is (2,2) using (1,0) and (3,4)? Lol, I read the question wrong and thought it was talking about the midpoint of ONLY the focus instead of both the intersection and focus.
Reply 17
Ok I think I've almost got it now. So it's a circle equation? Edit: With equation (x-2)^2+(y-2)^2=5?
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok I think I've almost got it now. So it's a circle equation? Edit: With equation (x-2)^2+(y-2)^2=5?

Sure, it helps to draw the picture.
Reply 19
Original post by mqb2766
Sure, it helps to draw the picture.

Have I got it right?

Quick Reply

Latest