The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Sport at Imperial

Hi, I'm currently holding an offer for Imperial and wanted to find out a bit more about the Hockey and Athletics (specifically throws and about competing in BUCS). If anyone plays either of these sports I'd greatly appreaciate hearing your experiences. Thank you
Original post by ab.c
Hi, I'm currently holding an offer for Imperial and wanted to find out a bit more about the Hockey and Athletics (specifically throws and about competing in BUCS). If anyone plays either of these sports I'd greatly appreaciate hearing your experiences. Thank you

Hi there,

I'm Nitish and I'm a 5th year Medical Student here at Imperial.

I don't have much experience with athletics, but I have been part of the Hockey society here at Imperial. Firstly there are actually two hockey clubs; Imperial College and Imperial College School of Medicine, so you can pick whichever one you'd like to join as they're both open to everyone. Both hockey clubs have multiple teams with a range of abilities, and pretty much all the teams are in a league for both BUCS and LUSL (London Universities) that are against unis of a similar level to your team . Hope that provides a little more information

Hope that helps,

Nitish
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Imperial students
Hi there,

I'm Nitish and I'm a 5th year Medical Student here at Imperial.

I don't have much experience with athletics, but I have been part of the Hockey society here at Imperial. Firstly there are actually two hockey clubs; Imperial College and Imperial College School of Medicine, so you can pick whichever one you'd like to join as they're both open to everyone. Both hockey clubs have multiple teams with a range of abilities, and pretty much all the teams are in a league for both BUCS and LUSL (London Universities) that are against unis of a similar level to your team . Hope that provides a little more information

Hope that helps,

Nitish

Hi Nitish

Thanks so much for your response, it was very helpful. I also wanted to know a bit more about where the pitches are located for fixtures and practice. In addition, what days do you normally practice and play your games?

Many thanks

Amy-Beth
Original post by ab.c
Hi Nitish

Thanks so much for your response, it was very helpful. I also wanted to know a bit more about where the pitches are located for fixtures and practice. In addition, what days do you normally practice and play your games?

Many thanks

Amy-Beth

How many times per week you play / train tends to be a factor of what level you want to aim at. Most 1st, 2nd teams will play Saturday and Wednesday afternoon matches during the season and train a couple of times a week. Training is often in Hyde Park (got to love jogging up and down "Rotten Row" in the sand ...... carrying someone if its the rugby team ) which is about 1 minute from College, but the pitches are near Heathrow at a place called Harlington. Depending on traffic its about a 30minute coach ride out. Of course about half of your matches will be away games.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/sport/facilities/locations/harlington/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotten_Row

A lot of the major IC sports clubs have a pretty “deep” team structure with 3rds, 4ths, sometimes 5th teams training less hard and having a more "turn up and play attitude", you can find your level depending on skill and how much time you want to dedicate.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
How many times per week you play / train tends to be a factor of what level you want to aim at. Most 1st, 2nd teams will play Saturday and Wednesday afternoon matches during the season and train a couple of times a week. Training is often in Hyde Park (got to love jogging up and down "Rotten Row" in the sand ...... carrying someone if its the rugby team ) which is about 1 minute from College, but the pitches are near Heathrow at a place called Harlington. Depending on traffic its about a 30minute coach ride out. Of course about half of your matches will be away games.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/sport/facilities/locations/harlington/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotten_Row

A lot of the major IC sports clubs have a pretty “deep” team structure with 3rds, 4ths, sometimes 5th teams training less hard and having a more "turn up and play attitude", you can find your level depending on skill and how much time you want to dedicate.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, your info has been really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending